“Absolutely Fantastic!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Poipu
St. George, Utah
“Absolutely Fantastic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2010

I would definitely recommend the Koa Kea to anyone wishing to visit Kauai and the Poipu Beach area. The hotel and rooms were very nice, location could not be beat as it is right on a beautiful beach, and the staff was fantastic. This hotel is the perfect size if you want to have a more intimate setting vs. the large resorts. Our room had wonderful views and was very nicely appointed. The pool area and beach access could not have been better. Every staff member from Chris, the manager, to Alina at check-in and Stuart at the valet were exceptional. Everyone was very helpful and friendly. If I were booking another trip to Kauai, I would stay at the Koa Kea Hotel again with no question.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (434)
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2010

We booked a garden view room for first 3 days of a 12 day special anniversary celebration. We thought it would be an okay way just to get in to the Hawaiian feel.
We choose the cheap seats because we were going all out after this short stay in a villa
on the north shore. When checking in they upgraded us to a partial ocean view and we
asked if they might have a deluxe ocean front. They showed us one and the difference
In the rate was worth this front room. We were on the ground floor which we usually do
not choose but here there was a beautiful little green lawn that we immediately put 2 lounge chairs on which gave our room a much bigger feel. From our loungers we were
steps to the beach access which was so fabulous. It was refreshing not to have to walk
through air conditioned corridors and take elevators to our Hawaiian resort room. The rooms were new, spotlessly clean, and very nicely decorated. The bathrooms were wonderful with large marble showers with a 2 rain heads which had plenty of pressure and hot water. The beds were comfortable and had wonderful white cotton bedding.
The staff was all so friendly and helpful. We appreciated the complimentary wi-fi and valet parking. We could not check into our villa on the north shore until 3 and the hotel accommodated us with letting us check out at 2 instead of 12 for no additional charge! The hotel provided little beach chairs which we took to the beach daily so close
to our room. The swimming right down from the hotel (towards the Sheraton) was lovely
and one afternoon even saw an amazing large monk seal swim right bye close to shore!
We never used the pool as the ocean was so delightful but while walking bye always
noticed there was plenty of chairs right by the pool and on the large lawn.
We were delighted with this hotel. Our stay here was a perfect start to our celebration!

Lincoln, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2010

My husband and I stayed 5 days at Koa Kea and did not want to ever leave. This modern and beautifully decorated resort was a perfect and intimate boutique hotel that topped off our 12 day Hawaiian adventure. The moment we arrived, we felt like we were royalty. The staff was extremely friendly and excited to park the vehicle and take our bags to our room while we checked in. After we checked in, we received a personalized tour of the facilities and were walked to our room by the young lady who also checked us in. The room had a just the right touch of a beachy decor that made it feel sophisticated. We had a garden view which was nothing to brag about but we were like 2 giddy kids when we found that the room was equipped with an automatic espresso maker! We love going on vacation and spend lot of time selecting hotels and this was definitely a first for us. We also received a card along with a gift of flavored macadamia nuts. These little details made the place even more special.

The resort's hotel restaurant Red Salt also added to the experience. We'd read reviews in several magazines and so were excited to try out the menu. The very first night we arrived, we ordered room service from the restaurant and hands down it was the most impressive and delicious room service we'd ever experienced. The chef didn't skip a beat and prepared the meal as if we were sitting in the dining room. My husband ordered the Kobe Burger and I had a salad w/ toasted coconut and ahi tuna lollipops. The show stopper was the lilikoi creme brulee...which left me craving more after I was done. We did also have a meal in the dining room which was romantic and the meal was good but oddly enough we were more satisfied with our room service than our dine-in experience and $185 tab (bottle of wine included).

Koa Kea only had a couple down sides. We felt obligated to tip every time we picked up and dropped off the car. The odd thing was that the car was just parked only 10 feet away from the entry. Although a nice feature although you don't have a choice to valet or not...The other disappointment was that the beach access was very small and rocky. The ocean provided a beautiful view and sound, but more people laid out by the pool to get sun. Aside from these two features, this was a perfect romatic getaway on the most beautiful Hawaiian island.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2010

I traveled to Maui and Kauai for my honeymoon staying at four of the nicest hotels the respective Island's have to offer: The Ritz, St. Regis, Koa Kea, and Four Seasons; I say this because with all the larger hotel's bells and whistles I expected the Koa Kea to pale in comparison and boy was I wrong, in a good way! The Koa Kea offered the perfect blend of ambiance, location, comfort, and relaxation. The rooms are well appointed, with nice products (think L'occitaine), the bed was super comfortable, the shower was amazing, our room was upgraded to a pool view which was incredibly convenient. I will try and be brief and summarize like this:

Pros:
Smaller more intimate atmosphere makes for more personalized service
Was given a very brief but immensely helpful tour upon arrival
There were no kids to be seen when I was there, AMAZING!
Excellent Restaurant onsite -- Red Salt
Laundry Facility on-site -- major bonus after 1.5 weeks of traveling!
Easy to make reservations at the spa
Steps from the ocean
Small but beautiful pool with sprawling grounds that overlook the ocean
Well appointed rooms with modern amenities (IPod dock station, flat screen tv, in room single cup coffee maker, marble bath)
Knowledgeable front desk staff who made great dining and activity recommendations
Quiet serene environment…truly relaxing
It’s just easy here, the location is great, the staff is friendly, at 144 rooms it always feels more like you are at a B&B than a big resort, bottom line you feel special at the Koa Kea

Cons:
Mandatory valet
Expensive tax and daily resort fees
Had to ask housekeeping to do a second round after they left behind some dirty dishes
Spa – paid for an 80 minute massage – only received 60 minutes and the woman had long nails that kept cutting into my skin, also she told me prior to my message her brain was mush and she usually has more down time in between appointments, still not sure why I tipped? For the money I would definitely go elsewhere. My husband also felt his massage was amateurish at best. This was the only real disappointment here.

Overall a lovely experience and we didn’t want to leave!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Union City, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2010

We just checked out of the Koa Kea earlier this morning after staying for the past 12 days on our honeymoon. We initially booked the hotel for 5 nights as we were uncertain if we would love it, but after the first night, we decided to extend our stay...twice. We have always traveled to Maui for our vacations, and decided to make a change for this special occasion. We couldn't have been more pleased. Everything, from the staff to the services and amenities, were perfection.

The rooms are beautiful-- clean, well kept, and modern. We initially stayed in a partial ocean view room on the third floor. It gave us sweeping views of the ocean, which was literally steps away from the property. We upgraded when we extended our stay the first time to a deluxe oceanfront suite, which was amazing. The room overlooked the ocean, and we slept with the lanai door open because we could easily hear the waves through the night.

As others have mentioned, the Koa Kea requires valet parking. Although some guests in previous reviews may have complained, we feel as if this was a fantastic service, as all valets were personable, helpful, and extremely courteous. They gave us great suggestions on where to go to eat, hike, and which beaches were safe versus those that may not be so safe to swim, and were super friendly.

The front desk staff was equally fantastic. They gave us a tour of the property when we checked in, and were really receptive to our requests and inquiries throughout our stay.

We had a couple of spa services during our stay. The therapists were all super sweet and attentive, and we experienced one of the best massages we've ever had with Ty and...sorry! I can't remember the other therapist's name.

The property is not a sprawling resort like the Grand Hyatt, but offered everything we could imagine. For those looking for a beautiful, quiet and relaxing vacation, this is perfect. This for the most part seemed to be an adults-only property, which is great when you are trying to enjoy some time without any distractions.

We left this morning to head out to the second leg of our honeymoon in Maui, and while we love this island, we wish we would have skipped Maui altogether so that we could extend our stay again at the Koa Kea. Just for reference, we're now staying at the Westin Maui, which honestly feels like a motor lodge when compared to the Koa Kea.

We are creatures of habit, so we'll make sure that we take all of our annual vacations in Kauai at the Koa Kea, starting in 2011.

Evanston, IL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2010

Let me start by saying I read all the reviews, so my expectations were high. That being said we were so disappointed I spent the first two nights looking for a new hotel. You may wonder how this could be possible given all the great reviews. I too was shocked.

So here was our experience. We were staying for our honeymoon, so when we arrived we were hoping for a room upgrade (that we had read happened so often). That never happened. Thanks Koa Kea. But when we got to our room there was a bag of nuts waiting for us (yay). But no shampoo. Where is the champagne??? Our room looked out on the public beach access and was one room away from the hotel dumpsters. Just what I was hoping for on my honeymoon, trash and spectators. The ceiling fan was so low the ceiling fan it would clip me as got changed. Once we left the room I had hoped things would improve. We sat down in the wicker chairs on the lawn, and wondered where the cushions went? They were very uncomfortable and would explain why people need a massage while staying here. The side tables on the lawn were dirty, so flies land on you as you try to relax. This was day one, so I can't imagine what other nightmares Koa Kea has in store.

The next day we tried to sit by the pool, but it was full of kids. 12 of them to be exact jumping off the rocks into the pool, yelling, and playing games. They are kids after all, but I am trying to relax and read pool side and my ipod is getting splashed.

Naturally we complained. They listened and said we could change rooms and they would call us to arrange the room change. That call never came. Customer service failure.

The plus side, it's right on the beach, it's a rocky beach, so you have to walk around it. But it's not far. The valet guys were really nice. The rooms were clean. The bartenders at the pool bar were very nice.

Maybe you'll have a great time like so many reviews here. We didn't. And I wish we had never booked at this hotel. We tried to move to the Grand Hyatt, but it was totally booked. I suggest you plan ahead and book there first.

La Jolla, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2010

This hotel has recently been updated with a very nice classic and modern look. The hotel is top notch. I usually stay at 5 Star Hotels but this easily rivals them. The best part is the fact that the rooms are very close to the beach and the grounds are very nice.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Koa Kea Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!