“We agree!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Poipu
Scottsdale, Arizona
“We agree!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2009

Koa Kea was a wonderful find for us.  A haven in the midst of  the timeshare/vacation condo capital of the world!  Peaceful, serene, immaculately maintained, luxurious and stylish rooms, excellent Staff.  Jamie at the pool was was a delight. Jim at the lounge bar a great Chap and full of insider tips on golf and other activities.  Valet and bellhops personable and efficient.The oceanfront was immediately in front of the hotel and then went about another 1/4 mile or so to the NW.   It was clean and pretty white sand and the perfect wave action for learning to surf and other activities in the beautiful turquoise water.The chlorine free hotel pool was so nice to float and swim in when we'd had enough salt water.Red Salt for my birthday dinner was a "10"!  Appetizers at the bar when we arrived were awesome too.  What a great chef they have.  We also really liked Bar a cuda in Hanelei or the more casual Dolphin in Hanelei.  They were great restaurants too - but we thought Red Salt was the best.Our only "less than 100% perfect "comment is more of a question or a source of puzzlement to us.They had very low occupancy when we first arrived - maybe only a handful of rooms -  and early one morning we were the ONLY ones there.  (Others could have left to do activites but you get our point).So, why wouldn't the management automatically upgrade their existing guests to a more WOW room location, so we all can't wait to tell all our friends and family about the fantastic Koa Kea.Our partial ocean view room was perfect - except the view was pretty poor.  The balconies are not that private and on ours we looked sideways to the ocean over the top of the back of the head of the guy on his balcony next door!   HMM!  Maybe they could work on making their balconies a little more private if we were being ultra picky!   We talked to another couple in the jacuzzi one late afternoon, and they volunteered the same feeling about the urgrade/occupancy situation.  Even though they loved the Koa Kea, they left and went to the Priceville St.Regis for their last 2 days on Kauai.  They also said they would have stayed on at the Koa Kea had they been offered a room with a better view as a courtesy.Also, by booking through www dot I prefer dot com you get a complimentary upgrade (If Available) or by booking with american express travel stay longer package you can get a choice of freegoodies.  One of which is a confirmed room upgrade (NOT based on availability).  We did that and we received a slightly better (partial ocean view) room at check-in.  Not a wow. I think they are missing the boat on that particular issue, especially as they are fairly low occupancy at this time. It's a beautiful hotel, with an excellent beachfront location, with excellent hotel staff, excellent cleaning staff, (it is as immaculate as a Four Seasons Hotel) and for the $$ we would call it  5 TRIPADVISOR DOTS = EXCELLENT!  If there was a 6 dot option for cleanliness  and beautifuly maintained grounds and pool area, we would give the KOA Kea a 6.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (432)
Gloucester County, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2009

My husband and I visited Kauai in October prior to a conference in Honolulu. We couldn't decide between the Grand Hyatt in Poipu or the Koa Kea. We decided to book at the Koa Kea. It was so new that all we had to judge it on were about 35 reviews on TripAdvisor. Every review was positive and after staying there, I can see why. From the time we checked in (thank you for the tour of the place, Alan) to the time we checked out, it was full of knock-your-socks-off service at the most beautiful location possible on the South Shore. The resort is between 2 larger resorts, and every time we went for a walk and passed those spots, I was thrilled to be at the Koa Kea. I believe there are a little more than 100 rooms, and I think only 30 rooms were occupied when we were there. If I were you, I'd book soon, because there is definitely a top notch location that is bound to fill up quickly as more people find out about it.

The pool was beautiful and the hot tub was also quite nice. The pool-side bar was only 100 steps from the beach and provided a lovely view of the ocean from the seats. Currently, it is only open until 5pm (since the hotel is not overly crowded) but I think that will definitely change as the hotel starts to fill up. If you are looking for an alternative for a casual dinner/bar, they have a pool-side bar next door at the Marriott, which is open until 7:30pm.

Be aware that you are charged for umbrellas and chairs, but the prices are much cheaper than what I was asked to pay at the Hilton Hawaiian Village in Honolulu. (Charging for chairs and umbrellas, etc. must be a Hawaii thing, because I've never paid for beach accessories in the Caribbean) I think I spend $90 at the Koa Kea for a week with 2 chairs, an umbrella and 2 sets of snorkel equipment. The Hilton Hawaiian village wanted $30 for one day of umbrella use and $20 for 2 chairs for one day.

They have laundry facilities and detergent is available for a nominal charge, totally worth it in my opinion.

You could walk across the street to a nice shopping center (about a 4 block walk total) to eat at Roy's (highly recommended). Or you could stay in and visit Red Salt (the Koa Kea's restaurant) which was also delicious (and convenient).

We were upgraded from a garden view to a partial ocean view, which was a nice treat. The only time we were in our room was to sleep, so it wasn't worth it for us to get an ocean front view. Our room was so nice that I hated to leave to go to Honolulu. The rooms were much nicer than I've seen in our beach resorts, very trendy and spacious.

Another item worth mentioning was that we were looking for a resort that catered to couples not families. While we were there, only 2 children were there at the same time. This was important to us, since we left our kids at home and wanted total R&R without kids around. This was one of the reasons we chose Koa Kea over the Hyatt. I heard (mostly through TripAdvisor) that there were too many kids at the Hyatt and that was not what I was looking for.

The other reason we chose Koa Kea was because it was ocean-front. You literally could walk out of your building and be sitting on the beach in a couple of minutes. Most hotels that we looked at did not have a swimming beach. Having a beach with swimming access at the hotel was very important to us.

All in all, it was a great experience and I'd be back in a heartbeat if I was given the opportunity to re-visit Hawaii. It was a wonderful trip and totally worth the money.

ANDOVER
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2009

We spent 4 nights at the Koa Kea on Kauai in October 2009 and wished we could have stayed longer. The hotel had just opened in April and is brand new. It is clean and modern w/o being barren looking. Instead is seems warm and intimate. A local told us that it was rebuilt on the exact same footprint as the old Poipu Beach Hotel that was totaled in hurricane Ineki about 17 years ago. They even recliamed some of the former decorative materials to be reused.

When we were there it was not crowded. We were upgraded from a garden view to a partial ocean view room, which means you have to look over your neighbors deck to see the ocean. My wife's favorite thing was the bathroom. Bright and spacious. She had a wall mounted, lighted make-up mirror and the shower was something to behold. 2 shower heads in an extremely large shower. One was like a standard head and the other was over your head and came down like rain. You could use either or both. Very nice. The location is right on the beach next to the Marriott. Lots of surfing going on out front.

We heard great things about Red Salt, their restaurant, but didn't get a chance to eat there. We prefer appetizers and drinks at the bar. The food was amazing. Same chef, so expect the restaurant to excel. The best part of the experience was the bartender, Jim. Friendly and attentive and a great mixologist. We looked forward to coming home at the end of each day of exploring to have a drink and talk over our plans for the next day with Jim and other people at the bar. He was a great source of local knowledge.

There is no self-parking which is a little irritating. You pay a resort fee of about $16/day and that covers the "free" valet. Our car was always ready by the time we got there. Just call ahead.

All in all, a great time was had and I would highly reccomend the Koa Kea.

Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2009

Beautiful room, no detail missed! Excellent service. Amazing restaurant. Good location.

Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Anchorage, Alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2009

My wife and I (ages 40 and 34) stayed eight days and visited several of the competing higher-end hotels in the area, including the Hyatt and the Sheraton in Poipu.

The Koa Kea is ideal: practically brand new (opened in April 2009), small (only 100 or so rooms), less geared toward the big family scene, ultra chic yet simple and sophisticated, right on the ocean, with staff who went above and beyond.

The pool area is very nice, with a quiet, relaxed atmosphere, and of course a fantastic hot tub and pool bar. Very few people were staying there, which made our stay even more private and enjoyable, but I hope the word gets out and business picks up for them. They are a privately-owned hotel, according to the manager, and they just don't have the available marketing capital that the larger franchises have. I promised to write an appropriate review on this site, as I've always been happy with the results when I follow others' recommendations here.

In the end, here's the story on this place: if you like lots of activity and families running about enjoying the Hawaii scene, then large Hyatt/Sheraton -type hotels are best (I believe the Hyatt has over 500 rooms and feels like it). If, like us, you like quiet, low-key, sophisticated, modern and sharp hotels, this is the only place. The beds are top-of-the-line; large, new flat-screen TV's in the rooms, very effective and ice cold A/C in the rooms; and a really sharp lobby/bar area accent this great hotel. As I told the manager when we left, I wouldn't change one thing.

Newport Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2009

My husband and I stayed at Ko'a Kea on our first stop on our Hawaii. I wish we wouldn't have left! It was amazing. The staff is wonderful and friendly. The accommodations are perfect. The beds are so comfortable and the bathrooms are large. The hotel has a great location. I can't say enough good things about it. We would go back in a heartbeat. We will recommend it to everyone. It was simply awesome!

ms72Ms72
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2009

Stayed for three days in early October and wished it was longer. Really nice hotel, new furnishings, beautiful pool and garden area right on the water. Staff were really pleasant and gave us a late checkout at 4pm, poolside servce was excellent. Restaurant was good too. We had stayed in Waikiki at the Halukilani and Outrigger Reef before coming to Kauai and this place was easily the best (unless you want to go shopping or nightlife, I'd even suggest skipping Oahu - just too busy and crowded). Also, Koa Kea seems much nicer and more personal in comparision to the Marriott and Sheraton next door.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Koa Kea Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!