“Best hotel ever.” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Dallas, Texas
“Best hotel ever.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

My husband and I went here on our honeymoon. Hands down the best place I've ever stayed.

Our flight got in really late so we got to the hotel around midnight. The staff knew who we were before we even opened our mouths. They even made us paninis even though the kitchen was closed. Our room was perfect with the best view.

The food was all great and super fresh. The beach was a little small but it was a beach in Hawaii so I cannot complain.

The service was perfect. We're already planning our trip back.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (472)
San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

We had a fantastic 4 days @Koa Kea in Poipu.
Wonderful location. Excellent amenities. Impeccable service. Good restaurant at the hotel.

We used Poipu as our base to access the rest of the Island.
Highly recommended for couples traveling to Kauai.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Mount Laurel, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

We stayed at this beautiful property for six days. It was absolutely perfect. It is a wonderful location with a terrific and professional staff. We looked at the other hotels in the area and they were so over-crowded with kids running everywhere. Koa Kea is neither of these. Always a chair available at the pool, on the lawn overlooking the ocean, or at the Bar. The staff is very friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. It was a perfect vacation spot!

Room Tip: Oceanfront suite is as luxurious as it gets.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

This place is awesome - from the quiet and peaceful accomodations, to the beautiful beach sunset views, you won't find a better place to stay in Kauai. We never had to "save" a chair at the pool, and the guy that rented the water equipment was extremely helpful. No screaming children - if you're looking for that, you can go next door to the Marriott! We will be back - in fact, I can't wait!

Room Tip: We loved being on ground level. Our lanai opened right on the grounds with easy access to the tiki b...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Tiburon, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

Loved this hotel...perfect for couples. Rooms are well thought out and although they do not say 'no children' there are 'no children' because there is nothing for children to do here....

Poolside is peaceful; no crazy cabana renting or chair saving madness. I can't imagine traveling to Hawaii and having to send someone down to put a towel on a chaise for the day.

We chose an oceanfront room and were so close to the surf that we could have thrown a large melon right into the sea Spectacular! Balconies are small but with oceanfront a bistro table is fine for me to drink my coffee or sip a cocktail. Room service even sets up your dinner with a table cloth outside if you so desire. Candles included!

I believe only the deluxe oceanfront rooms have a tub so be aware of that when booking. I won't book a room without a tub, but I realize for many people that is a non-issue.

Breakfast is a la carte and delicious with plenty of ocean view tables although the restaurant is set back a bit from the beach. The valets are super about getting you water and your car (quickly) when you're ready to explore. Good fitness center, not great, but adequate. Did not have dinner at Salt but that is because we chose restaurants with better views....(sorry--it is Hawaii)

I think this is the most romantic hotel on Kauai. I've stayed at St Regis and love the location (not for winter) but can't handle the families. Too many children jumping into the pool for what I pay for an oceanview room. This hotel offered better rooms without the families, and it was perfect.

Room Tip: Oceanfront worth the splurge!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

We stayed here for part of our honeymoon. Everything about this property is perfect - our ocean-front room was comfortable and right on the ocean! the food at Red Salt was wonderful, sushi in the lounge was perfect, and the staff were all very friendly and accommodating. I would definitely recommend for couples seeking a relaxing retreat!

Stayed July 2014
Madison, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

I stayed here with my husband on a no-kids romantic get-away in the beginning of June 2014. The hotel staff are certainly friendly and the facilities very clean and modern. Just, overall, nothing particularly special seemed to jump out at us. Not for the cost. Although now I'm hard-pressed to really find anything specific to complain about. The cocktail drinks at the bar were actually really delicious. The pool was delightful. The restaurant, while lacking a view, had a nice ambiance and really good food. I really liked the lighting in the room with the electric candles that shined through to the bathroom. Maybe why I feel "eh" about it was that we were initially in a first floor garden room. The garden area had no privacy from neighbors. And, our view was of an ugly chain link fence masked with that green (or was it black?) tape stuff which was to provide privacy between the room/garden and the public-access walkway to the beach. But you could see right through it. So, if the blinds were open on the sliding door to the garden anyone walking by could have seen in if they wanted to. Weird. Then, the room constantly felt damp and smelled of mold. We noticed that the carpet under the air conditioning was soaked through. The reason we held off complaining was that we thought the smell was from our clothes and shoes that had been raked through water and mud on a prior hike which had never really dried out. But after I washed the clothes (Koa Kea had a coin laundry which was nice) and use the dryer on the shoes, it still smelled. When we did ask for a room change, the staff were very accommodating and immediately provided us another room. First floor, but view of the pool, with just a little more privacy. This room did not have any problems whatsoever. Granted, we did wait probably too long to ask for a new room, which was our fault, but the experience I think colored my overall view. Again, the staff were very responsive, so I don't really have any complaint. I assume they will fix the problem with that room. I would recommend asking for a room on a second floor.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Koa Kea Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!