“Awesome place to stay on Poipu!” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Romance Getaway
Ranked #1 of 6 hotels in Poipu
Denver, Colorado
“Awesome place to stay on Poipu!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

We had a terrific 10 day stay at the KOA KEA in Poipu.
Super friendly staff, no charge for valet or internet, good facilities, nice restaurant and hotel not too big so it still feels intimate!
We will be back!

Room Tip: Face towards the pool
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

1,307 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (378)
Playa del Rey, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights for a babymoon at 21 weeks. We actually flew in on a late Thursday night and saved some money by staying at the Courtyard Marriott in Kapa'a ($157? - great hotel, delicious breakfast, just small bathroom) which was a lot closer to the airport.

Now back to the Ko'a Kea - amazing!! I can't say enough.

Grounds - The hotel is beautiful, modern, very clean. The pool and jacuzzi open into a grassy patio and bar that overlooks the ocean and you can enjoy the beautiful sunsets. Even a few whales here and there. Also a few steps away from small coves of beach where you can sunbathe, swim, and snorkel. This I loved because the water was shallow and since I was pregnant I was not allowed on boat tours etc.

Red Salt - I think this is also the #1 (sit down) restaurant in Piopu (#1 was a gelato place so that doesn't count). Since I'm preggers I am limited to what I can eat. My husband had the mahi which was delicious and I had the pork tenderloin. Also super delicious and it was sitting on top of creamy blue cheese mashed potatoes- yummmm!!! And breakfast was just as spectacular. Who doesn't like portuguese sausage? I mixed my eggs with the home fries and I wish I had a huge spoon to gobble it all up. My husband had the french toast and drowned it in coconut syrup. My breakfast also came with a side of "bluberry strudel" toast which was out of this world. I had to save a slice (and some leftover mini muffins they give you start) to eat later and it was still yummy.

Rooms - good size, comfortable beds with duvet covers (I am scared of hotel comforters). Bathroom size was nice with a HUGE marble shower complete with a place to sit and 2 types of showerheads. It had nice glass doors (I extremely dislike shower curtains). No tub but I don't care too much for that anyway. We could've done without the "partial ocean view" (translation = you do not see the ocean from you bed, or your room for that matter - stand on the far corner of the balcony and then you could see the ocean). But that didn't bother us much either because our room was close to the swimming pool area that overlooked the ocean.

Service - excellent. Everyone was so helpful and gracious. When we called down to the receptionist and informed them there was a problem with the thermostat, the service tech was up within minutes and solved the issue.

Departure Room - I don't know of any other hotel that has this feature. After you check out there is a conference-type room you can book for 1 hour to freshen up, even shower. Free of charge! So if you have a late flight, you can check out of your hotel room, do some shopping or drive around, come back, enjoy the grounds a bit more, have dinner, then use the room to get ready prior to your flight.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Outstanding service, ideal location and fantastic food/beverage options make Koa Kea a great alternative to the larger resorts in this area. It's a clean, modernized hotel with ample pool and garden sitting areas. The pool bar makes fantastic frozen mint mojitos which are essentially pina coladas blended with fresh mint, Beach directly in front of the hotel is rocky but sandy Poipu Beach is within walking distance. Only complaint is the double beds which are too cramped to comfortably accommodate two people, even kids.

Room Tip: partial ocean view still provides a decent ocean view, especially on upper levels
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Los Angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Typically, I would give this place a 5. I love the staff, the rooms, and the ocean views here. However, I do not feel the same with my recent interaction with management. Management has an obvious disconnect with their customers.. I lit a candle in my room, which damaged the desk. I accept full responsibility for the damage. However, my issue is with how management dealt with the issue. I learned I was under "surveillance" to ensure I didn't skip out on my bill. On my last night there as is customary, my bill was slipped underneath my door. I reviewed it, and there was no mention of the desk. Ok, perhaps they recognize the value of repeat customers. HOWEVER, when I checked out I was presented with a separate bill for $900. I have no doubt that it did not cost $900 to repair that desk. What really disappointed me is that I was not given options as to how I could settle the bill. So in addition to the regular bill ($over 1,000 due to spa services) I had an extra $900. I was not pleased. While the staff went out of their way to ensure my safety and to ease my concerns about a desk that was 100% replaceable, management let me know that customers really are not that important.

Room Tip: Room 216 is farther away from the beach; but it still has a good ocean view.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

I am giving 3 stars because of location, bed and shower. I would say its an upscale "motel" not a resort. We want to be waited on when we vacation. This resort will not give you that feel. We only stayed here for 2 nights. The location is terrific. The shower is great - all Kohler fixtures and very good water pressure. No tub - missed the mark on that - should have at least a soaking tub. The beds are dreamy, high end sheets and pillows. Our balcony was SMALL. We had beautiful view of the ocean. The pool bar area should be crawling with staff - it's not. I want to be waited on like a celebrity. It was not relaxing waiting for drinks at the pool bar. No music playing - too quiet for me. Also, I don't want to pay these prices and be surrounded by crying babies - why anyone would stay here with children is a mystery. Also sucks for the adults who are trying to enjoy some adult time.
I have to give props to the female bartender that waited on us our first night - she went out of her way to help us figure out what to do for sightseeing. The service ended with her. Again, this place lacks service that could make this a better stay.

• Stayed February 2013
San Diego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Service is great here and the small hotel makes you feel like you are part of an elite family. Really like this location and still it maintains a nice private feeling. Another reviewer mentioned the one water provided in the evening and the extra dollar per coffee pod beyond the 6 provided. I do think it is strange that if you stay one night you get 6 pods or 6 nights you get 6 pods. Management needs to evaluate how they are pricing their rooms relative to these miniscule amenities. Don't bother giving just one water if when you ask for an additional they want to charge it to your room. Give two or none at all.

Breakfast is good but if not included in your room rate, I'm not sure I would go out of my way to dine here. Dining at Red Salt for dinner was pretty good and almost just as good in the lounge.

The bed was comfortable and the garden/partial ocean view room was nice. Still not sure I would return here as it was pretty pricey. Good drinks at the pool bar.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Fortaleza, CE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

I went to Kauai for the first time with my husband for his birthday. I've chosen to stay at the Koa Kea and I was extremely please with the experience.
From the first phone call to arrange our bookings for massage and bottle of champagne delivered to the room all the way to the check-out we were treated with kindness, respect and a level of costumer service that went above and beyond.
In addition to that the hotel is gorgeous (funny thing is I came to find out upon my return that the company that did their interior design is actually a good client of ours). The L'Occitane amenities are definitely a plus and Fiji water bottles in the room make you feel spoiled!
The restaurant deserves a review of its own - DELICIOUS! The happy hour in the lounge, the sea food based menu and even the breakfast were wonderful!
I would definitely come back to Koa Kea and I have been recommending this hotel to many of my friends.

Room Tip: We've stayed at a partial ocean view room, but I believe the ocean front rooms are more luxuriou...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Koa Kea Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!