“Amazing stay at the Koa Kea!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Rate
4th Night Free
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Poipu
South Florida, Florida
“Amazing stay at the Koa Kea!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

I wanted a small boutique hotel right on the ocean and the Koa Kea was perfect! The rooms are fabulous, with comfortable beds and really nice bathrooms. I loved that you could open the door to the balcony and hear the ocean. We really enjoyed sitting out on our balcony and watching the surfers. The hotel's service is top notch, especially Jim at the Red Salt bar. He makes the best drinks!
We ate dinner at Red Salt and also had the sushi one night - both were fabulous!

Our stay on Kauai was the perfect vacation and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a low key, relaxing and beautiful Hawaiian island!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (424)
Bakersfield, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

My wife and I read all of the reviews and the Koa Kea delivered as expected. It was nice and quiet, perfect for our weekend to relax away from our children. The beach right on the front of the property was great and the service we received from all of the hotel staff was top notch.

We got the package that included breakfast ... I highly recommend it. Makes it easy to start the day and you can go for a nice breakfast and then lay out and watch the ocean.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

It was so nice to come to a clean, boutique, luxury room after 2 days of mediocre B&Bs. We stayed in a garden room. Didn't need a more expensive room. They only have a view. Huge comfortable bed, AC and ceiling fan. Room outside space has a sun lounger and table and chairs. Sun lounger never got any sun and there was no privacy outside from other rooms. Lots of sun loungers around pool with sun parsols. Beautiful view of the sea from lounger. Food was very good. Breakfast buffet is only continental but hot entrees can be ordered. Fresh mini muffins are provided complimentary with breakfast, very yummy. Staff were great. Red Salt was great for dinner. They have 2 washing machines and dryers for guests to use. The nearest laundromat is a 30 min drive! You can purchase washing supplies from hotel shop, costs $1 for washer and $1 for dryer. Valet parking is included in resort fee. Wifi available everywhere including by the pool. Very few children, is much more a grown ups hotel.
It is just across the road from the shops, so can walk or drive. Starbucks there and ice cream. Also had dinner across the road at Roy's which was like eating in a cafeteria, don't go there. Beach house was also good food.
I would highly recommend and would go back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Closter, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

After spending 5 nights at the Fairmont in Maui, my husband and I flew over to Kauai and made Koa Kea our home for another 5 nights. Koa Kea is definitely a boutique hotel and a welcomed change from Maui. A travel agent recommended the hotel and based on all the reviews here I knew it’d be a location for some rest and relaxation.

The property is small (compared to the huge resorts you see in Maui, including the Fairmont) but it is beautifully kept. There are chairs/chaises all around a medium sized pool as well as a large lawn that has plenty of chairs too. This hotel is literally on the beach, and although we didn’t have an ocean front room essentially all rooms are ocean front!

Koa Kea forced my husband and I to slow down and actually relax. After visiting Maui, which was full of activities like a luau and Haleakala, Kauai lent itself as a place to just stop and soak up the sun. We spent most of our afternoons on the lawn reading with an occasional dip in the pool. The ocean was inviting but seemed a little rough so I personally didn’t go in there but my husband did take a surfing lesson offered through Koa Kea. Overall you see mostly couples (and chickens!) at the property but towards the end of our stay I did notice a couple kids.

The hotel is nicely located in Poipu with several dining options. Just a short walk you have a plaza with Roy’s, Puka Dogs and some retail stores and not even a 5 minute drive away is another plaza (Kukui'ula Village Mall) full of restaurants like Merriman’s and Josselin’s! We never ended up eating at Red Salt but ordered in one night their mushroom fettuccini which was really tasty! We wanted to have Red Salt’s sushi but for whatever reason if wasn’t offered on the days that we wanted it. I believe all of the rooms have lanai's, so two nights we ended up bringing food back to the hotel and ate outside!

We found the breakfast, included in our stay, was just okay at Koa Kea but I think that is because we came from the Fairmont’s over the top buffet in Maui. One thing Koa Kea offered though was pineapple (I think) soufflé pancakes that were to die for!! I would go back there just for that breakfast!

Overall, Koa Kea is a beautiful property with relaxing qualities. I would definitely go back!

Manhattan Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Koa Kea is the perfect hotel for a comfortable, adult, low-key stay on the beach in Kauai. This boutique hotel is very simple in appearance and design but has just what you want - a beachfront property, a nice pool, a great lawn facing the ocean, outdoor bar, and terrific restaurant. The rooms are very comfortable -- great bed, marble bathrooms -- and if you can score an oceanfront room, it is absolutely worth the extra money to watch the sunset every night. The staff is very friendly and helpful -- by midweek, the housekeeping staff and valet team knew our names on sight. The restaurant, Red Salt, is very good. Our deal included a full breakfast every morning and a daily food and beverage credit; saved us a lot of money on drinks and lunches. The fitness center is minimalist - primarily aerobic equipment - but was sufficient for a decent workout; I found several good running courses as well. If you are looking for a huge hotel with all the bells and whistles and kid amenities, go to the Hyatt. This is primarily an adult environment, quiet and sedate, perfect for a relaxed get-away.

Room Tip: Get an oceanfront room; it is worth the extra cost. The ocean views from the bed are terrific.
kellysully @aol.com
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Koa Kea Hotel and Resort will NOT disappoint! A small boutique hotel located on the beach with excellent snorkeling and a great reef break for surfers. You can rent snorkels and snorkel gear, surf boards, beach chairs for a nominal cost right on the premises. The well-trained staff makes you feel like this is your home away from home. The Red Salt restaurant is excellent and on par with all the first class places to eat in Poipu. The beautifully appointed rooms with twice a day housekeeping make Koa Kea a first class experience with intimacy. Our beds were luxurious and comfortable. The bathroom is large and comfortable. There is no tub but has a two headed shower with a seat. A great location for an experience of the South Shore!

Room Tip: We were on the bottom floor and our room opened out onto the pool. There was foot traffic but VERY...
Sedona, Arizona, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

This was the best hotel experience I've had in quite a long time. The room was great - it was clean and neat, with a small fridge for guest use, a very comfy bed and an awesome shower! The only drawback to the bed was that one side of my bed was a little saggy, so it was time for the hotel to replace the bedding in my room. I just slept on the other side of the bed and was extremely comfortable.

When the staff was showing me the room on arrival and asked about morning coffee, I mentioned that I was a tea drinker, and they volunteered to send an electric kettle to my room to make that even easier for me. The cups are not so great, as they are glass and have the most ridiculous handles that make it impossible to hold until the tea really cools down a lot. I happened to have a travel tea mug with me from drinking my morning tea on the way to the airport, so I just used that all week.

Buying the breakfast in advance was a very good deal, as the price included anything I wanted from the breakfast buffet, plus a hot entree from the menu, as well as the tip. No need to sign anything afterwards or try to find cash for a tip for my waiter. It was a nice way to start my day. The sushi on Friday and Saturday nights was excellent - fresh and very tasty. The room service meals I had sent up were also wonderful and hot on arrival. I was in a rush to get to class one morning and asked if I could have a breakfast burrito to go instead of eating in the restaurant. They told me it would be no problem and had it ready and waiting for me to pick up on my way out in 15 minutes.

The service from everyone during my stay was great, from the valets, to the waiters, to the housekeeping staff, which added incredibly to the cozy feel of the place. I really felt that the staff cared about the guests and was willing to do whatever was necessary to make me feel comfortable and cared for.

The pool area and the beach were very well cared for and enjoyable. It was nice to have just a short stroll past the lawn to the beach. Since there are other hotel properties on either side of the hotel, there were always people around, but it never felt crowded or uncomfortable. And the beach itself was great for strolls first thing in the morning or just before bed.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Been to Koa Kea Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!