“Believe the Hype!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Poipu
San Diego, California
“Believe the Hype!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

I am not sure I can add much that hasn't already been said about this place before...great location, super friendly staff, overall the best place I've stayed in Kauai. We were upgrade to a 1st floor room with direct access to the courtyard / pool and it was great. Didn't have any issues with noise or privacy and my wife and I really enjoyed the ability to walk right into our room from the pool if we needed anything. Also having free in-room wifi and around the property was very handy and much appreciated.

I can't comment on the restaurant as we never actually had a formal dinner there, but the rest of the amenities were top notch. I've seem some people complain about the mandatory valet parking, but in my opinion it was a great free perk that made staying there extra special. Simply call ahead and your car is waiting there for you and the valets are very helpful in getting you set with towels / directions for any adventures you might have on the island. While there is no dedicated beach for this resort, you need only to walk a minute in either direction to get to two great beaches in Poipu.

If you have any hesitations about booking rest assured you will have a great stay!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (419)
Miramar Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

I looked at several hotels for our honeymoon trip to Hawaii. There are several nice resorts on this island such as the Sheraton and the Marriott, but they seems to be too family-friendly for a romantic honeymoon. Boy, was I right. We actually went to check out those other hotels and the first thing we saw was screaming kids everywhere. The Koa Kea was just right: quiet, beautiful, romantic. The service has been phenomenal and the view from our beautiful room is... well, I've never seen anything like it! I highly recommend this hotel to anyone who's looking for an intimate getaway with that special someone.

Room Tip: Room 378 is amazing!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

Hands down, the best vacation in Hawaii in our thirty-three years of visiting the islands. Trust me on this: you will feel like you have gone home to visit your family after a long absence, and they are spoiling you just the way your folks used to. But, at least in my case, home was nothing like this! Here you have world-class gourmet food (not that Mom's food wasn't good, but...well, you just have to eat here to know what I mean) and a marvelous (actually hot) hot tub. With those two things alone, I could die happy, but there is so much more to be savored at this delightfully refined haven.

Manager Chris Steuri has worked magic here. (We were impressed that he talked personally with us upon our arrival, as we waited for our room to be readied...we were several hours early). From the moment you arrive and are greeted by the magnificent valet/porter team, you are carefree. That term is bandied about often, but in the case of this hotel, it is actually true. Your specific needs are completely catered to, without any hint of pretentiousness or fawning. The staff makes you their number-one priority, and you can tell it's genuine on their part. I honestly have never experienced quite this level of hospitality before at any hotel. We are experienced Hawaii travelers, so I'm not speaking out of turn here. A special appreciation to Kathleen at the Front Desk, who is in my book one of the treasures of the Koa Kea.

You will never wait or want for anything at this hotel. If you ARE waiting, someone will magically materialize from a back room or from some other duty station to inquire about how they can help. Nobody will ever make you feel like a number here and nobody will ever make you feel as though they expect a tip (you're going to want to tip anyway). It's sophisticated, but you never feel that anyone cares how glamorous or well-dressed you are. It's YOU who are welcome. It's utterly unique in the annals of Hawaii hotels in regard to these things (with the possible exception of the Halekulani Hotel on Oahu).

Some specifics: You call to inquire if they have Priority Mail boxes. They ask which size(s), so they can have them ready for you (after having volunteered first to send them right out to your room). They lend you their tape and scissors if you need to pack the box; they pick up the box and send it out for you, charging the USPS rate to your room. Not one penny in service fees. Just a big smile of aloha. (Thanks, Cindy!) You inquire about buying an ice cream bar in the gift shop late in the evening (none for sale there); you think that's that, BUT before you leave the lobby, the waiter has brought you some from the kitchen to take back to your room. He was walking by the front desk and just happened to overhear your inquiry! (Thanks, Bryan) You see what I mean? I could get used to this!

More specifics: The breakfast is of the highest quality. Plump berries, whole pecans, sweet fresh tropical fruits, hot cooked to order main courses from a menu selection (no waiting at an omelet station here. Spotless food preparation and dining areas, constant replenishment of buffet items. The Restaurant Day Manager keeps everything perfect, and still has time to greet you by name every day and make sure you are satisfied. I believe her name is Catherine, but my aging brain is forgetting so many of the names I knew so well at the time. If I've got it wrong, I'm so very sorry, because you are a lovely, lovely lady.

The dinners at the Red Salt are of equally high quality. We ate there every night (8 nights) and never had one single thing we disliked. Not one! We just loved it! Never felt the need to leave for other venues. Superior inventive cuisine. The Food and Beverage Manager Paul Koulbanis outdoes himself every night to provide the best possible dining experience for every guest. And the wait staff! They all are so exceptional! But one person stands out as the best waiter I ever had the pleasure of knowing...Bryan. He made us feel like cherished guests in his home every time he served us. It was like a celebration just having a regular dinner when he waited on us (but the wait staff always behaves with great dignity and gives you your privacy and space). It's the perfect balance of professionalism and warmth.

You cannot go wrong here. The rooms are luxurious and comfortable, feather beds and duvets, fluffy plump pillows, l'Occitane bath amenities that smell so wonderfully fresh (my husband liked the crisp citron scent as much as I did). Really delicious Nespresso coffee in room (we had never had that before, and both are now fans). The sliding glass door and screen door on the lanai are SO smooth and silent that you can open them during the night and never disturb anyone. Effortlessly (how many times have you wrestled with a sliding glass door that sticks and weighs a ton, or a screen that slides off its track all the time?) NOT HERE you won't. Everything is kept in the best possible condition...and it's new construction, so no retrofitting of old with new. Almost instant hot water in shower, great water pressure, toilets that flush completely and ultra-quietly. Extra-long thick thirsty towels, too. Even (ahem) large-boned people like me can wrap them around with lots to spare.

Can you tell I just loved this place? Is it obvious? I better stop writing now, but I will say that we are already planning a return trip. At our age, we don't want to waste any time now that we've (FINALLY) found the ideal place to stay. I won't go into the stunning view or the immaculate heated saltwater pool or the sound of the surf as you lie in bed, or the mesmerizing flicker of the exotic tiki torches, or the super-helpful friendly pool/activities desk because so many others have covered that so well.

Go already! What are you waiting for? Money comes and goes, but these memories will last forever. I really do know what I'm talking about here, 'cause I'm older than dirt! :-) Aloha!

Room Tip: Get at least Ocean View, Pool Side (or Oceanfront). 2nd or 3rd floor for more privacy.
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

We chose this boutique hotel based on the previous reviews and wer not disappointed! The location, literally steps from the beach, is unique in the area. Rooms, restaurant, bar, spa lived up to very high expectations. We moved to a large resort for a meeting after staying four nights at the Koa Kea, leaving some shoes behind in our room. One of the front desk people dropped them off for us on her way home (sadly, we cant remember her name! ) That's the kind of service one recieves at the Koa Kea. Above and beyond.

Room Tip: You dont have to splurge for oceanfront, but we did enjoy it!
Mexico City, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

This was one sweet hotel. I can't speak highly enough. The food, the service, the rooms, location - EVERYTHING about this place was awesome. The views were spectuclar and one of all my time favorite hotels.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012

We spent four nights here, and it was a delightful stay. The service is excellent, and the beach overlook is wonderful. The restaurant (Red Salt) is probably the best on the island. Would definitely stay here again!

The only bad spot is that the mattress was a little too soft.

Room Tip: One tip: definitely pay the extra to get a full ocean view.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012

From when you first arrive and are greeted by a smile from the valet staff this hotel is exceptional. The rooms have every comfort, (Great beds!!) the restaurant, Red Salt, by far the best eating experience we had in Hawaii. The hotel is in a prime location close to great beaches for swimming, snorkelling and surfing. We saw turtles and seals and a great array of tropical fish right out from our hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Koa Kea Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!