“Nice place, Low Key, Friendly Staff” 4 of 5 stars

The Kauai Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2430 Hulemalu Rd, Lihue, Kauai, HI 96766   |
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Lihue
Rockville Centre, New York
“Nice place, Low Key, Friendly Staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

This is NOT a big time resort. Rather, it is pleasant little hotel, a bit off the beaten path, with a swimming pool, a resident feline, and a friendly group of people running the place. It does have a bit of history. The cast and crew of "Donovan's Reef" (directed by the legendary John Ford and starring John Wayne and Lee Marvin [among others]) stayed at the Kauai Inn. They probably enjoyed the breathtaking view of the mountains, and the proximity to the ocean.

The reason I chose to go to Kauai in the first place was that my late father, who was stationed there in World War II, had told me that it was one of the most beautiful places he had ever seen. So, I planned to spend my time exploring the island. Paying a "resort fee," along with a fee to park my rental car, was something I dreaded. THE KAUAI INN DOES NOT CHARGE THESE FEES. Thus, it was perfect for my purposes. Meanwhile, my wife fell in love with Jezebel, the little black cat who is secretly the owner of the Inn.

If I ever go back to Kauai, I will probably stay there again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Korean first
Hilversum
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

All right, the start was not that good. I had expected a friendly Aloha, instead I got 3 warnings in 1 minute: you better have reserved, when you smoke, you pay 200 $, and when you leave after 11.30 hr you pay another day.
Welcome on Kauai ! When I asked for wifi, I was told that there is free WIFI accessible besides the pool. Having a jetlack, it did not help that one of the many cocks started waking me up at 4 am.

Fortunately things changed the next day. The breakfast was great (but is not served from 01.03 onwards anymore), a friendly receptionist gave me a code for free internet, and whereas the way from Lihue to the Inn looked unpleasant (industrial and embarking area for cruise ships), the route on the other side of the inn is beautiful. The housing is ok, perhaps somewhat outdated, but clean. The neighbors are easy to hear. The price is fair for what you get.

The location wrt the airport is very good, 5-10 minutes. It is a 2 minutes drive to a small tourist center on the port, and a 5 minutes drive to a big mall.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

We stayed overnight in January 2013 and thought it good value. A clean and comfortable room and a nice continental breakfast served outdoors. This is an older hotel but it's good-basic with friendly management. 10-15 mins from the airport by taxi, it's located at the edge of an industrial area but don't let that put you off. The hotel is fine.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Canada, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Both our welcome and the next morning's shower at The Kauai Inn were lukewarm. Maybe we caught the staff on a bad day, but the check-in was pretty perfunctory, and lacked any warmth.

Next morning, the shower temperature did not stay stable, and never got really hot. Upon checkout there was a sign stating that the hotel's continental breakfast will be discontinued at the end of February due to health department regulations.

The value proposition here is getting slimmer, as a result.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

We arrived on Kauai two days earlier than we had planned because we flew here standby (better to get here early than get here late when you have other reservations). We had no idea where we would be staying for 2 days. I called and called to find a room everywhere was sold out even the Kauai Inn. We had kind of given up hope when my cell rang and it was Jamie saying they'd had a cancellation! I had called her cell phone so she had my number. I can't tell you how relieved we were. When we got to the Inn we were greeted with that wonderful "aloha spirit" that is only found on the islands. Our room was spacious and clean we slept on a comfortable king size bed. The trade winds blew gently through the room making it very comfortable. Breakfast was good and visiting with the other people was nice too. I would definitely stay here again. For those who have written about the dated decor and the location....if that's important to you then you need to pay more.... us we liked the price, the place and the people!

• Stayed February 2013
Ridgefield, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

This was a great place to stay if you are planning to be out and about on your stay on Kauai. The rooms were clean and pleasant, the staff very helpful and it was located centrally for the south, west and eastern shore trips. It was nice that a continental breakfast was offered, fresh fruit, coffe and pastries, although I wish it had started at 7:00 am vs. 8:00 am. My friend and I had a wonderful stay before heading up to the north shore for some additional days. :0)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Wonderful beds; clean room and beautiful surroundings. Very quiet.
My two sisters and I shared a room with two beds and were quite comfortable. The motel is close to a variety of restaurants just 5 minutes away driving. The airport only 10 minutes.
We were very pleased.

Room Tip: We missed out on the famed breakfast because of leaving too early the next morning at 5:30am.