“Kaha Lani, 3'rd floor apartment, room 327” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Castle Kaha Lani

You added Castle Kaha Lani to your Saves list
Castle Kaha Lani
3.0 of 5 Condominium   |   4460 Nehe Road, Lihue, Kauai, HI 96766 (Formerly Aston Kaha Lani)   |
Guildford, United Kingdom
“Kaha Lani, 3'rd floor apartment, room 327”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

The apartment was as described in the website. It was clean, spacious, comfortable and well equipped. There is a main bathroom / shower off the bedroom, and a separate toilet / sink adjacent to living area. There is also a walk in cupboard with plenty of hangers and a safe (key is a separate small charge). The kitchen was well equipped and was geared up for self catering, (however, food in the shops is very expensive compared to UK / mainland US prices - a better option is farmers stalls / markets or eating out). There was a spacious lanai with seats / table and lounger and good views of the beach / palms / driftwood etc. There is no A/C, but you don't need it. There is always a sea breeze / wind and the windows are louvred so you can control the air flow - so the temperature and humidity was just right. The complex was well tended, with a mix of trees and shrubbery and plenty of parking close to accommodation. There is a reasonable sized pool in front of the main buildings. 3 flights of stairs up to this apartment, OK for able bodied but not suitable for all. The complex is relatively small and there are no other hotels close by, so it is quiet and relaxing.

You can't really swim on the beach in front of the complex, it is too rough with a strong backwash. However a short walk away there is a public beach at Lydgate State Park, with a lifeguard, where they have enclosed two sea-pools with rocks - one for adults and one for small children. This is safe swimming and there are some fish there so snorkeling is an option (although there are better places than this to see fish / turtles / seals). There is also grass, picnic tables and shade here.

There is a sewage works close by to the swim beach, but I never smelt it, especially given the strong onshore breeze. The area felt safe and we never encountered any problems, although there is apparently something of a reputation for thefts in the area.

Limited WiFi. Relatively close to the airport, but we did not experience any plane noise.

Highly recommend Kauai as a destination.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Chandler, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

We selected Kaha Lani based on Trip Advisor reports but I found the unit we were given below any standard we have been used to on the islands. It was an older unit that had not been kept up , the paint in the bathroom was peeling, several of the window controls were either broken or unusable. The view was good and the pool and grounds were well maintained. During our stay, a couple that was buying the condo was in for a walk though. The only other unit for our 9 day stay was on the third floor but having trouble with my knees, I had to turn it down. We were celebrating our 30th anniversary (which I wrote them about and my desire for a second story unit 2 months in advance. Also no AC, thankfully we didn't need one this trip. PS don't suggest you use Hawaiian airlines for vacation planning as they use a third party. they didn't get us seats on the mainland portion of the trip and once booked, I could not change the hotel period. You are better off using a travel agent or use separate booking through the internet I wish we had.

Room Tip: I didn't see any other rooms to compare, but I don't I will stay here again.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Statesboro, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

love this place so much.stayed two weeks.. i was leery myself at first when i read some of the review but then i also read alot more of the good reviews and i am glad i did. only one one i was concerned about was the air-conditioning but wow such a breeze and so many adjustable windows to regulate. never had a problem with being hot. not at all.. and we were there in may...even when then wind died we were fine house keeping was every 3 days but if we needed any thing more just had to call...or drop by...yes your in the islands ...chickens , kitties and birds...all up at dawn...if thats not your cup of tea stay on one of the more developed islands more concrete jungle... i like away from it all and as far as wireless that depends on the unit our unit had wireless and was spotless.

Room Tip: i was on the second floor and i think that would be better not that alot of people are walking aroun...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Yucca Valley, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

First time and everything could have not been more perfect. The front desk personnel were friendly and we loved April. They gave us suggestions on what to see and do. Everyone was so nice. The grounds were kept up nice, lots of flowers and a VERY short walk to the beach. Great walking path, great walking beach, lots of little things to see. The location was great right in the middle from West to East. Condo was so nice looking over the ocean with a million dollar view, I hope we can come back someday.

Room Tip: If you are not into the big resorts this is the place to stay. Top floors with the Oceanfront View a...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Kapaa, Hawaii
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

I'm a travel X-Ray tech so my company rented my unit for 2 months. Theres no wireless Internet, I was told I would have to buy my own router if I want wireless. The condo was dirty, I had to clean it from top to bottom. They don't have AC in any of the units! It cost $3 to wash and dry 1 load of clothes. Upon my second trip to the laundry room, a lady from the front office followed me and asked me if I was one of the MAIDS that worked on the property. I told her NO, IM A RESIDENT. She asked which apt was I staying in, I replied. Then she asked me,"Well, when did that change?" As if I was lying to her. I told her that's her job to keep up with that information, not mine. Then she asked,"Well how many of you are there?" At this moment I'm getting upset because now I know where this convo is going. I asked her why was she asking me all these questions. She responded,"Because your a new face." Isnt this a resort where new people are in and out every week? Does she interrogate every customer like this because their a "new face"? I was so offended! Then i believe the apt I was staying in to be HAUNTED! Twice, I felt something messing with me while I was in bed! I asked them about it and they say they've never heard anything like that before, but when I talk to locals in the area they say this place is the most haunted area on the island. So I moved out to stay with a co-worker. My travel company tried to get reimbursed for the ime I didn't stay there for fear of my safety and the owners refused to refund the payment. It was a HORRIBLE experience all the way around at the resort!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Bethesda
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2012

Let me be brief: for the money (around $150/night for a 2-br apartment), this must be one of the best deals in Kauai. The property is well maintained and clean. Full kitchen in each condo; nice small pool and two gas grills are available outside. Most visitors appeared to be aged 30-50, so it was neither a party place nor an old couples' resort. Just nice and peaceful.

It's a nice oceanview location with great views; however, the beach in front of the property is not swimmable (due to a very rocky bottom and high waves). But as everywhere in Kauai, some other great beach is only a few minutes away, so I did not feel it was an issue. Overall - yes, I would come again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Henderson, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

We stayed in unit 226, it had a magnificent view. Everything we needed was there. We thought the location was excellent as we had other family in town at the Marriott for a wedding. There was no need for air conditioning as the trade winds provided more than needed air flow. The beach in front was not swimmable, but not an issue since we were able to swim other places. We would stay here again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: You do not need air conditioning, great trade winds.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Castle Kaha Lani? Share your experiences!