The apartment was as described in the website. It was clean, spacious, comfortable and well equipped. There is a main bathroom / shower off the bedroom, and a separate toilet / sink adjacent to living area. There is also a walk in cupboard with plenty of hangers and a safe (key is a separate small charge). The kitchen was well equipped and was geared up for self catering, (however, food in the shops is very expensive compared to UK / mainland US prices - a better option is farmers stalls / markets or eating out). There was a spacious lanai with seats / table and lounger and good views of the beach / palms / driftwood etc. There is no A/C, but you don't need it. There is always a sea breeze / wind and the windows are louvred so you can control the air flow - so the temperature and humidity was just right. The complex was well tended, with a mix of trees and shrubbery and plenty of parking close to accommodation. There is a reasonable sized pool in front of the main buildings. 3 flights of stairs up to this apartment, OK for able bodied but not suitable for all. The complex is relatively small and there are no other hotels close by, so it is quiet and relaxing.
You can't really swim on the beach in front of the complex, it is too rough with a strong backwash. However a short walk away there is a public beach at Lydgate State Park, with a lifeguard, where they have enclosed two sea-pools with rocks - one for adults and one for small children. This is safe swimming and there are some fish there so snorkeling is an option (although there are better places than this to see fish / turtles / seals). There is also grass, picnic tables and shade here.
There is a sewage works close by to the swim beach, but I never smelt it, especially given the strong onshore breeze. The area felt safe and we never encountered any problems, although there is apparently something of a reputation for thefts in the area.
Limited WiFi. Relatively close to the airport, but we did not experience any plane noise.
Highly recommend Kauai as a destination.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kaha Lani Resort features oceanfront condominiums adjacent to Lydgate Beach Park and playground, with a walking path along the coast. Centrally located, the resort offers a variety of one-, two-, and three-bedroom suites, all oceanview or oceanfront. Amenities include a pool, tennis court, barbecues, and a putting green. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, BookIt.com, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Castle Kaha Lani reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Castle Kaha Lani Hotel Lihue
- Kaha Lani
- Castle Kaha Lani Kauai, HI