“Pray for mud puddles!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #9 of 46 Activities in Lihue
Type: Tours, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: Kipu Ranch Adventures, located on the lush island of Kauai, is proud to be one of the top eco-tours in Hawaii. We enable visitors and residents alike to discover the rich history, landscape and legends that make Kauai activities unique. Ride through lush green pastures, venture down into tropical Hule'ia Valley, and ascend to majestic Haupu for a breathtaking view of Kipu Kai, Kauai's untouched paradise. Experience many blockbuster movie spots such as Pirates of the Caribbean, Outbreak, and Indiana Jones Raiders of the Lost Ark. This is tropical 4x4 off road touring at its finest.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Santa Monica, California
3 attraction reviews
“Pray for mud puddles!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2008

My boyfriend and I were only in Kauai for 2 1/2 days and we wanted to pick a few activities to make it memorable. So, we spent our Valentine's Day with Kipu Ranch Adventures. We chose to do their 3 hr. ranch/mountain tour, each of us getting our own ATV. I had never ridden an ATV before, so I was a little uneasy at first, but after a few practice runs, I was a natural. A stiff, nervous natural, but who's keeping track?

We had a small group of 3 couples and to be quite honest, our group was a total dud. The other 2 couples were a lot older and kind of boring. I felt bad for our tour guide because I think he felt like he got stuck with a bunch of duds. But, he tried his best. He was really knowledgeable and made me feel completely safe on the ATV. Kipu Ranch is gorgeous. We had such a great time, saw beautiful scenery, fed some pigs, hung out with peacocks...but the highlight of the whole tour (**NERD ALERT**) was getting to swing on the same rope that Harrison Ford swung on in Raiders of the Lost Ark. Sigh. So awesome.

In short, it was great fun. Hope for a more lively tour group. Pray that it rains because driving through the mud puddles is so fun. And don't wear anything you want to wear again.

San Jose, CA
“Fun ride”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2008

Most people on the tour were on the ATV alone, but I decided I wanted to try something new. We had the new bombadier, where I sat behind my husband. It takes away from enjoying the view! Sitting right behind someone who's wearing a helmut, kind of ruins the experience. Think about it. You drive, and face forward and have about 180 degress view, taking it all in. On the "bomber", that view is really obstructed. I still enjoyed being close and being able to talk, or point something out that the other shouldn't miss. It was a wet and wild ride in the mud, December rain to thank. We wore ponchos luckily, so only our shoes, socks and cuffs of pants were muddy. That made from some great photos of us! Take your camera for some great shots!

kauai
“Best ATV ride in Kauai”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2008

I went on the Kipu Ranch Adventues - ATV ride the 2nd day I was in Kauai, HI. It was one of the best days of my life! The guide knew a great deal of information about the land and the history of the Rice family. They show you Kipu Kai Beach, which is one of few remaining private beaches left in the world, it was previously owened by royalty and is very well maintained. This is where Neverland, Hook and many other movies were filmed. Incredible views, and you get even to visit the exact spot where a scene from Raiders of the Lost Arc was filmed! Wonderful staff and very good about making sure all riders are comfortable and safe on their ATVs. Definite 4 stars for sure. Good for families and those venturing on their own.

Monroe, Washington
8 attraction reviews
“stewart of the land”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2007

Kipu ranch is worth the time out of your vacation to see. Royality passed on the ranch to the Rice family to manage with the thought of good steartship. To help maintain the land the Rice family has let a ATV company come in doing tours. The adventure will take you on dedicated trails for the ATV this place is not torn up or trashed and a great way to see the country side. With some class the guides will share the history of the land tell you about the many movies filmed on site and serve you lunch. My wife and I rented a two seat atv which we were able to sit side by side. It cost the most and there are fewer of them but worth it. We had room for our gear Camera ect the other rigs are tough to carry gear. Plan to be muddy and wet in the winter.
The water falls and river along with the boars will make for great entertainment !!!
Just a short bit of advice leave plenty of room between you and the one in front of you. This will enable you to play catch up giving you plenty of room to get on it . Otherwise it will be follow the leader the whole way.
Be sure to ask about the history of the Royal family and the Rice family who now owns the ranch. This is more than just a place to tear up the mud.
Staying on the trails has keep the ranch looking great. Do this trip if you can it may not be around for long !!!!!!!!!.

Santa Clarita, California
9 attraction reviews
“Awesome Scenery - A Fun Time!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2007

My wife and I did the Kipu Ranch ATV adventure in July 2007.

LOCATION: Kipu Ranch ATV tours takes you onto a private ranch just outside of Lihue. This is a large ranch and is definitely private. At one point we saw someone dressed like a game warden patrolling the property on an ATV with a gun on his back. The ATV folks have negotiated access to the ranch. It is a working cattle ranch.

The scenery is impressive. We saw areas that were recognizable as being used in Jurassic Park. The cliffs towering over the large open fields were gorgeous. The terrain does change as you ride in the foothills and again as you go through a tropical forest area along a river.

ATV’s/Skill Level: Kipu Ranch offers a variety of choices with ATV’s. You could rent a dune buggy type, a one person or a two person. All ATV’s are automatic transmissions, so you will not have to shift gears. Before you head out of the ranch, you are walked through some basic safety lessons and a small test ride. This is to give everyone an opportunity to familiarize themselves with what they are riding. I had rented a two person for me and a one person for my wife, in case it was ‘too much’ for my wife. Sure enough, my wife was too intimidated by the ATV’s and elected to ride on the back of mine.

The ATV’s were late model and appeared well maintained. I have rented ATV’s before and expect them to be in beat up condition. Not so for the folks at Kipu Ranch. Despite being in good shape, I did have a problem with my ATV, the drive axel broke about 10 minutes out. The staff was quick to order up a replacement vehicle and we had no further problems.

It has been at least 10 years since I was last on a motorcycle/dirt bike. Still, I have some experience. My wife felt threatened by the machine, but she has never ridden and tends to be rather timid on trying something challenging. If you are unsure, do what I did and get a two person and a one person. Or, get the 4 person dune buggy.

You go out in a group with guides. Speeds are regulated and kept very slow. There is one small hill to go down. The guides stopped and gave extensive instructions before going down. For me, it was not necessary, but for someone without experience, it is a good idea.

Ultimately, the tour is designed for someone who has never ridden before. Most should not have a problem piloting the 4-wheel ATV. For those with children under 10, the dune buggy would be a good option (not sure what their min age is for the ATV’s).

THE TOUR: You enter the private ranch down a long tree lined driveway. You proceed across open fields with spectacular views. After heading up into some foothills, we descended into tropical forests. We stopped along a river. Supposedly many things were filmed here, including the opening scene from Indiana Jones where he swings on a rope into a plane on a river. They allowed us to use a rope swing and swing into the river, which I did of course.

You then proceed back the way you came and through a new set of trails up to higher ground. You then stop for lunch at a small waterfall in a little valley. Lunch was good and simple consisting of homemade sandwiches.

After lunch we drove back through where we started and continued for 5 minutes to a waterfall, which was a short hike down a steep trail. We were then invited to go for a swim which almost all of us did. The water was fine. After that we headed back and were done.

The pace on the tour is slow. You stop a few times while the guides open gates. There is a guide at the front and back of the group. You are not allowed to ‘hot dog’ or go crazy, or go off on your own.

We saw many kinds of birds, wild cats, wild boars and lots of cattle, some of which we got very close to.

STAFF: The staff was great, they suggested booking the two-person ATV in case my wife got cold feet. They responded quickly to the problem with my ATV. One of the guides also joined us swinging on the swing into the river and again swimming at the waterfall. The guides had extensive knowledge about the ranch, the plants and animals.

OVERALL: This was a definite fun adventure my wife and I both enjoyed. I wished that I had been able to take more pictures, but you cannot do this and ride at the same time. I wish they had stopped a bit more to allow for this, but then again, there is a time schedule to stick to. I want to take pictures of everything, so if left on my own I would have fallen way behind.

There is at least one other ATV company on the island. I did not know this until after we arrived and had this booked so I did not compare the two. I did see that the other tour offers a tunnel to go through. Both seemed to offer the same thing. With Kipu Ranch, the views are incredible. I do not know how you could get much better.

We did tubing and boating on Napali Coast as well and I still felt this was unique despite doing these other activities. If/when we return with our kids, we would do this tour again.