“Average Food with Above Average Staff” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Portofino is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #31 of 98 Restaurants in Lihue
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dessert, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Marriott Way
Description: True Italian fare, but also specializing in Seafood and Steaks! Cafe Portofino overlooking the Pacific Ocean near the Marriott hotel has been called "A honeymoon destination' by Martha Stewart, and 'one of the top 10!' by Gourmet Magazine. Please come and enjoy the gentle tradewinds and enjoy a classic dining experience.
Hilton Head Island
“Average Food with Above Average Staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

We have been coming to the Marriott Resort for 16 years as owners and have eaten at the various restaurants within walking distance many times. We brought some guests and they asked for Italian so we went the Cafe. It is always quieter that Duke's next store which I like. The harp player is first rate. The waiter Patrick was welcoming and very helpful describing the various fish specials. Service was above average.

I think the owner/manager needs rethink the approach. The food is average. Veal, my favorite food was burnt and the linguini cold. However, our friends loved their fish. The view is terrific and the wine selection was good. I think we are paying for the whole deal with view and great food in addition to nice staff. It just feels like something is wrong.

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Palmetto, Florida
“Italian food with a beach view.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014 via mobile

We were seated promptly and service was good. Our complaint was that the potatoes served with our veal dishes were exceptionally salty, and the vegetable medley was mushy and bland. Pasta dishes were good and of amply size. They have a great view of the harbor. They had live harp music. Which would have been lovely except we could also hear the music from the restaurant next door.

Visited March 2014
Dublin, Ohio
“Good Italian Food with very Poor Owner attitude”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

Staying at Marriott Resort, the choice of restaurants is limited, especially if you have not rented a car. We ate there three times, since we like Italian food and have some but very limited choices of vegetarian dishes. At our ages,we also like to take light dinner and avoid drinks at night. The food has been good and swerved hot. Service was also excellent. However, the attitude of the owner, who greets and seats customers, was awful and very unfriendly and became worse each succeeding day. Finally, we have decided not to go back there and have looked for an alternate place to eat. If I were the owner and my manager showed this attitude towards a customer, I would not tolerate it.

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Bonnyville
“Lovely atmosphere.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

I especially enjoyed the romantic atmosphere with the harp player. Food was great but the service was nothing special. We felt somewhat neglected.

Visited February 2014
Arlington, Texas
“Decent Italian food; great view and service ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

It's best to make a reservation, but we arrived at 5:30, so didn't have any trouble getting a table. Our waitress was attentive and polite, making good recommendations on wine and food. My shrimp pasta with pink sauce was lacking in flavor but decent. The specialty salad with goat cheese was outstanding and I wish I had just had that for my meal. My partner had the fish special and said it was delicious but the portion was quite small. We really enjoyed the view of the bay and would recommend coming for that reason alone.
enjoyed