“Comfort food - yummy!” 4 of 5 stars

Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Takeout, Late Night, Dessert
“Comfort food - yummy!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

Saimin is comfort food for us. Whenever we go to Kauai, our first stop for lunch is Hamura. We order the saimin special with two chicken skewers. This is not a fancy place, counter seating only, it's truly a "hole in the wall" and they only take cash. If you have room for dessert, the lilikoi chiffon pie is tasty!!

• Visited April 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

San Diego, California
“TRULY do not understand the positive reviews”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

My boyfriend and I came here after reading endless positive reviews about the saimin here. We have both been to our fair share of hole in the wall places all over the world, so we were intrigued to see what this place had to offer.

We each ordered the saimin special, shared a chicken and beef skewer, and ended with the lilikoi pie.

The only reason this place did not receive 1 star is because the lilikoi pie was decently tasty.
The special was really bad. The broth lacked flavor, the noodles were blah, as were the quality of the toppings (questionable freshness). This was probably one of the worst noodle soups I have ever tasted in my life, and I have had a LOT. We felt lucky later that we didn't get food poisoning like some other negative reviews have mentioned. The chicken skewer was passable but not memorable, and the beef skewer was so tough that I spent MANY minutes trying to chew through it.

We absolutely do not understand how this place has 4 stars, even if the food in Kauai in general is not that great overall. I really would not recommend anyone coming here.

• 1 of 5 stars Food
Southern California
“A must when in Kauai (Lihue)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

A must when in Kauai (Lihui). One block off Rice street on Kress. The only restaurant, if you can call it that, where you will eat with more locals than tourists. Order the saimin special and both the chicken and beef bar b que sticks. Truly a "Hole in the wall" restaurant. Bring cash. You will not need much. You might also want to stop at the brewery around the corner on Rice Street, if it is open.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Elk Grove, California
“Best saimin on Kauai”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

We stopped by on a Sunday morning and got there just before it got busy. I had the medium saimin bowl (again)…always yummy! My husband, who isn’t a saimin person, had the chicken and beef sticks…both were very good but he liked the chicken better because he thought it had more of the teriyaki flavor. No individual tables so you sit with folks that you may (or may not) know so you get to meet new people. I don’t know how she does it but the waitress was able to remember all the orders at our table without writing anything down. I always look forward to having my saimin-fix at Hamura’s.
BTW – we were at another restaurant that had saimin on their menu, I asked if it was good and the waitress said “it’s not as good as Hamura’s”.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Provo, Utah
“A nice surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

My family and I had no expectations going here and really enjoyed the meal. We found it with trip advisor and when we asked around, people gave many recommendations to have dinner there. I would also recommend going and trying the food.
Really good and fast service, I wouldn't say that the food was the best ever but I enjoyed it. The best part was the pie and it is amazing! I would definitely come back and introduce my friends to this place (or for more pie).