“Yummy, but be patient.” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Takeout, Late Night, Dessert
Henderson, Nevada
“Yummy, but be patient.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

A knowledgeable friend suggested we not miss this place, so our last night on Kauai we made sure to visit. It was very small and every seat at the counters was filled; we were lucky and did not have a long wait, but others coming in after us stood for 45 minutes waiting for a seat. The portions were more than ample and the food was delicious: we were really glad we braved the line. (We've been trying to find somewhere with equivalent food back at home, so far without luck.) Having been warned not to miss the lilikoi pie, we asked the server if there would be 2 pieces left after our noodles; she told us they were running out but she would put 2 slices aside for us. We were soooo glad she did! Yummy, filling, affordable, and an adventure; best if you're patient and don't need extra personal space while you're eating.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Best place ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

This is a tiny little noodle shop but well worth the search!
We had the special! The flavored and the noodles are the best we have had
Wish we would have found this sooner
We head home back to Alaska in a few hrs !

“Fantastic lilikoi pie”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

It's a small place but very popular. Interesting layout of tables and stools. Service was friendly though the very hardworking waitresses and cook can barely keep up. The special saimin (Hawaiian ramen) was not that great in our opinion. But then, my family has eaten at numerous excellent ramen places in Japan. But the lilikoi pie - that is outstanding! Still, I'm glad we went here. Liked the vibe.

• Visited January 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Kauai, Hawaii
“Skip this Place - Don't Understand the Other Reviews”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

I was excited to try this place after reading the reviews in guide books as well as online, but I was not impressed to say the least. In fact, the day that I went it was packed, wall to wall. Both I and my boyfriend sat at the counter and ordered the saimin. The service was so-so, but I guess the food was quick. And that was the upside of the experience as the saimin wasn't very flavorful. I was expecting more. I doctored up mine with hot sauce and the like, but I wouldn't go back.
I tried the restaurant while I was visiting in August '13. I preferred other local restaurants for good saimin, lilikoi pie, or other local favorites like poke, pupus, etc.

• Visited August 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Paris, France
“Extremely interesting experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

Hamura's Saimin Stand was one of the higher ranked restaurants that we had read about prior to our Kauai vacation. We were staying in Poipu and Hamura's in Lihue is around a 20 minute drive. We arrived at 6:30pm and it was standing room only. They seat about 30 people at one time. If you like offbeat rustic establishments, this is it. We were 15 people back and it took about 40 minutes to get seated. The reviews I read about the service left a lot to be desired and that is spot on. We ordered and were left wondering if our waitress understood us. Anyway, we both ordered the Saimin. It was good. I also ordered the BBQ chicken skewer and the tempura shrimp. Next time we will sit with just the Saimin. I relish great soba, udon, saimin, noodles, whatever one wants to term it. This wasn't great but at the price of $6.50 for the large bowl, hard to complain. My guess is they are as busy as they are because Hawaii is expensive and this is very reasonable. Don't have too high of expectations, prepare to wait in line, and bring cash as that is all they accept. We also had the lillakoi pie, it is light and fluffy and a palate cleanser. You will leave full, have money leftover, and likely have been entertained by watching the employees as well as patrons as it is quite a change of pace. We would return but not as frequent as some of the reviewers.