“Great value - would stay here again.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Kauai Beach Resort

You added Kauai Beach Resort to your Saves list
Kauai Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4331 Kauai Beach Drive, Lihue, Kauai, HI 96766 (Formerly Kauai Beach Resort - an Aqua Boutique)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Now and Save 15%!
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Lihue
Jersey City, New Jersey
“Great value - would stay here again.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2010

I booked a great rate through the hotel website for a room and rental car combo. Parking was included in that fee - but we still had to pay for the taxes on the car. It still came out to be cheaper than booking the hotel and car separately.
The hotel is conveniently located in Lihue - close to the airport, WalMart, Longs, etc. It's also a good midway point between Waimea and the North Shore.
The hotel itself was very clean, rooms were nice, the staff was great, the on-site laundry facitily was clean. Although you can't swim at the beach - there are tons of beaches nearby and the pools at the hotel are great. I would recommend staying here if you're planning to be out and about and plan on visiting other beaches.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (464)
San Jose CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2010

We had a 2 week trip to Hawaii and stayed on Kauai, the Big Island and Oahu. We stayed in 3 different Marriotts on the Big Island and Oahu and this resort for 3 days on our trip. It was very comparable to the Marriotts in terms of room quality and the pools. The food is marginal here, although the Marriotts are not that much better.

Also the beaches for swimming and beach services are much better at Marriotts, although I did wake up early one morning and walked on the beach and took pictures and it was very beautiful. I really wasn't there that much, although my wife and 13 year old son enjoyed the pools a lot and really liked the resort overall. Our room was on the 3rd floor above the lobby looking at the lagoon. I never heard any roosters at 4 am or any other time while I was at the resort. The room was very quiet and the beds were comfortable.

So for a great base of operations to see Kauai, it is a great bargain. If swimming in the ocean is very important to you stay somewhere else.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
NJTraveler100
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2010

We stayed at the Kauai Beach Resort over the 2010 Thanksgiving Holiday on a Snooze & Cruze package for six days. Note that the package does not include an $11/day airport tax on the rental car which you pay to Dollar Car Rental; but nonetheless, it is still cheaper than reserving a car separately as you don't have to pay the $13/night parking fee at the hotel. We were upgraded to an oceanview room overlooking the pool for free. Compared to business class chains (Ritz Carlton, Four Seasons), the Beach Club rooms are clean and well maintained. The free wireless internet worked well in our room as we were close to the lobby. Our bed was somewhat soft, so we asked for a board and the hotel staff delivered it within four rieving of our request. Additional towels also came within five rieving of our call. We loved the pool area and the waterfalls, which helped drown out the 4am crowing of the roosters that are a part of staying on Kauai. The $3 happy hour drinks between 4 and 6pm daily are fantastic. The staff will drive you to the Kauai County Golf Course which is less than one mile away: twilight rates start at 2pm and are $30/weekends and $24/weekdays (pull cart rentals are $6 for two wheelers and $10 for three wheelers). This course has four holes that are adjacent to the ocean with spectacular views. A true hidden gem. The hotel balconies on the second floor of the main hotel are more private as they have a waist high wall. The third and fourth floor balconies only have railings. The other difference is that the second floor has two barstools and a small bar table while the higher floors have regular chairs and a lower table. The Kauai Beach Club does not have a courtesy room for island visitors who have late 10pm flights. However, you can shower at three locations by the pool and change in the bathrooms by the pool. The hotel's gym has basic equipment: two treadmills, a rowing machine, a bike and limited weight training equipment. Also, the entry to the gym is outside of the hotel, however, the gym is on the ground floor and has plenty of windows with a nice view of the lagoon and the timeshare villas next door to the hotel. The restaurant food is average at best: entrees run between $24 and $35 and include a well-stocked salad bar. We were surprised at the portions.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2010

RENOVATED rooms were clean and comfortable. Always soft, clean towels daily, no issues with cleanliness. The only bad thing about our room was the TV, which was older and had a few issues. There was a beach within feet of our room, but not one where swimming was easy, very rocky, but still beautiful. The food there was so-so, but the service and friendliness of staff was wonderful. We didn't really use the pools, but the waterfalls and sand bottom pools were impressive and made for a great island atmosphere. If you stay here, be warned there is nothing within walking distance and parking isn't the most convenient either, but it is a good distance between south and north shore if you plan on visiting both.

Pleasant Hill, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2010

I read all the TA reviews before booking this hotel and thought the people who were complaining were the type to never be satisfied. Now that I've stayed there, I wish we had spent a little more money and tried somewhere else. You may read the following and think I am never satisfied. The truth is, the small things add up and after awhile it just becomes unpleasant. I don't want "unpleasant" when I spend hard earned money on a vacation.

First, check in. The Orbitz website says they have a 1pm check-in - not true, it's at 4pm. We got there at 2:30, were told our room wasn't ready yet and we were welcome to wait at the pool bar and they would call our cell when it was ready. 4:00pm comes along and no call. No big deal - we were in Kauai and it was awesome!!

While getting our room assigned, we confirmed that we were getting an ocean view room (I paid the full upgrade charge when I booked the room). After a big smile and assurances that we were getting a nice room, we were excitedly on our way. We walked in and saw a breathtaking of view of the...parking lot of the resort next door?? Seriously? It's one thing to give that room to someone who booked the lowest category, they would get a small view of the ocean and be happy. But that room was completely unacceptable when I paid a substantial sum to be upgraded. When I called the front desk, they were immediately accomodating and moved us to another room, but we had to take two full beds instead of a king (not exactly romantic). I got the impression they are used to people complaining about that view and frankly, that just ticked me off because I felt like they were jerking us around.

We ended up in room 4214 and the view was outstanding! We watched the sunrise from our balcony almost everyday and it was truly gorgeous. The room is on the corner and the set up felt a little cramped - I didn't see the other bathrooms, but it seemed to be a condensed version compared to pictures I've seen. The beds were pretty comfortable and the room seemed clean. There was a small refrigerator and a nice flat screen TV (at this point I will note that the first room we were assigned to had an old tube style TV - we hardly watched TV, but if that's important to you, be aware). There was no honor bar and the beverage vending machines did not work and/or were sold out often. So we made sure to bring back bottles of water to the room.

As the week progressed, I went from very pleased (with the exception of check-in) to really disappointed.

Food: We love to relax and enjoy Sunday Brunch on occasion, so we were really excited when we got the flyer that there would be Sunday Brunch. $30pp and it did not include any champagne. The brunch was very disappointing in selection and taste. The fish and chicken options were awful, they had a nasty sausage option, but no bacon, and the worker at the egg station used so much grease, I couldn't bring myself to eat my omelette. However, there was a nice shellfish spread that my husband enjoyed (oysters, mussels, but the shrimp were prepared with the head still attached and that's just gross). Later in the week we had the regular breakfast buffet at $20pp and found it to be superior to the brunch buffet. We didn't really want that much breakfast, but if you order ala carte, it's about $15 a plate and they charge $3 for a beverage (coffee or juice).

Lunch was served at the pool bar and was hit or miss - the fish taco wrap was very good, fish and chips was just ok, the fries were good, the nachos were just nasty and the burger was not good. We also had dinner in the lounge a couple times and the appetizers for two were not very good, the appetizer spare ribs were yummy and the french dip sliders were the best thing in the hotel. With that said, by the end of the week I couldn't figure out why my husband was irritable all the time and he finally said he was sick of paying top dollar for crap food.

I used room service once - we ordered one meal and a diet coke. The kid who brought it up gave me the entree, but no soda. I asked him where it was and he said, "oh, I guess I forgot it". He didn't offer to get it. I asked him to do so (why did I have to request him to bring something he forgot that I'm being charged $3 for?).

Drinks were good, but expensive ($12 for a Mai Tai). The pool bar service was exceptional.

The pool area was very nice, several different pools to choose from and nice and quiet. We got pretty good service at the pool too. The towel booth ran out of towels at around 10:30am.

Internet service: They offer free wifi in the lobby area or wired service in your room for $13. One day I had to work remotely. I got up at 6am and went to the lobby area so I wouldn't wake my husband. I had trouble connecting so I asked the front desk for help and I was told I needed to be in a hotspot - either the bar lounge or the area by the gift shop. Neither were open and both areas had the lights off. Not the end of the world, but a little irritating. After working for a couple hours, all of a sudden, the wifi service disappeared. After some back and forth with the same lady at the front desk, she said she would reboot the server. But she had an attitude like I was bothering her and I found her to be very unaccomodating.

Valet service: we did not experience any of the problems with valet that others mentioned - it was always friendly and fast. $15.95 a day compared with $13 a day for self-park. Definitely worth the extra couple bucks for valet.

Beach: We knew ahead of time that the beach was not swimable. We didn't have a problem with that. One morning we walked as far as we could along the beach to the right. DO NOT bother. There was so much garbage and it was really sad to see nature's beauty disregarded because people are too lazy to pick up their trash. The next morning we walked along the beach on the left and it was really nice. However, this is not a beach for laying out on the sand - there are tons of little sand crabs and although they are really fun to watch, I wouldn't want to lay down next to them.

Location: This truly is a good location for being able to explore the island and super close to the airport. With that said, next time we go to Kauai, we will choose either the North Shore or Poipu as those areas were more tropical in feel and less congested with traffic.

So, to the hotel management: there are some small things that need to be corrected - first of all, don't put people in crappy rooms when you know they've paid for the upgrade. Don't be snotty when a customer asks you to check on the wifi service (if you check and it's my fault, fine, you can be snotty, but at least give me the benefit of the doubt). Keep clean towels in the towel booth. Maintain your beverage vending machines in working order. Do something about all those zillions of gnats in the hallways. Improve the quality of your food, or make the cost commensurate with crappy food. Consider - do you REALLY need to charge an upcharge for every little thing?

Provo, UT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2010

We found this resort on the internet and it was an absolute fabulous find! It met our expectations in every way from the moment we walked in until the minute we left. The staff were very attentive and friendly, the grounds magnificent in their beauty, and our room was spotless and comfortable - we could have taken the bed home with us! There was some alarm system maintenance during our stay, but we were never disturbed by it. Our room was right above the pools and outdoor bar, but the room was quite soundproof. We didn't eat in the hotel restaurants as they were quite pricey and we wanted to try the local restaurants and dishes, so we can't review the food or service. We want to bring our entire family - all 18 of us - back here next summer. The location is central to all the island sites, beaches, and hiking - a rental car is a must.

San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2010

We stayed here for 8 nights on our honeymoon in Sept. 2010. We were upgraded to a lagoon view room that actually had a partial ocean view without asking, and we could not have been happier with our stay. We loved our room, the friendly staff, the multiple pools and hot tubs, and just the low-key but well-appointed nature of the place. The beach is beautiful though not super-swimmable, but the beachfront location is wonderful. Every night, we walked on the beach and checked out the stars. We found the location super convenient for our first visit to Kaua'i - we spent about half our time up north and half our time down south. We would go back in a heartbeat!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Kauai Beach Resort? Share your experiences!