“Affordable and good place to stay at on Kauai!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Kauai Beach Resort

You added Kauai Beach Resort to your Saves list
Kauai Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4331 Kauai Beach Drive, Lihue, Kauai, HI 96766 (Formerly Kauai Beach Resort - an Aqua Boutique)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Now and Save 15%!
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Lihue
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Marina del Rey, California
“Affordable and good place to stay at on Kauai!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

I landed at the Lihue airport and picked up my rental car from Hertz. The hotel was just about 10 mins. drive from the airport (all you had to do was make 2 turns on highway 56, Kuhio Highway) and you were right at the hotel! The hotel has a few large paved and covered parking lots where you can self park for $16.95/per day or you can valet for the same price per day, but just give a few dollars to tip the valet. I self parked for my entire 5 nights/6 days at Kauai Beach Resort since it was so easy.

At check in, the girl who checked me in was very cordial, nice, and super efficient. I couldn't clearly view her name tag as her long, wavy, brown hair covered it, otherwise I would write a great review on her. I checked into room 2319, in building 2. It was a mountain view room so you can see the green mountains and the palm trees, but you also were right over the roof of the Naupaka Restaurant so you also could see the white roof. The room was pretty basic with a small fridge, small safe, coffee maker, small flat screen tv, king bed, shower with tub and a large dresser. The room was very clean and it didn't smell like mildew at all (like some other reviewers might have mentioned). I cranked down the AC to 69F as I like my room very cold since it was hotter than an oven outside. The room was close to the main elevators so I would suggest bringing earplugs as there were several times I could hear kids screaming and running up and down the hallways in the mornings!!! The maids were always very nice and would ask me if I needed extra towels or anything else.

You do NOT need to bring your hotel room towels to the pool. The hotel allocates 4 very large green striped pool towels to you per room and you have to sign in for those. You can get 4 clean pool towels daily so just don't loose them!

KBR had many salt watered pools for adults and kids. The grounds were super clean and very well manicured. You couldn't actually swim on the beach due to sharp rocks off the reefs and perhaps strong under currents, but about 2-3 miles drive north is Lydgate Beach Park where the swimming for adults/kids is awesome and very safe. Plus, the views make great pictures.

I will do another review for the hotels' restaurants and food. But, I had a daily buffet breakfast included in my package and I was up at 630-7am every day to eat as I had days packed full of excursions like snorkeling, ziplining, land tours, etc. The AM breakfast consisted of an American breakfast of scrambled eggs, tater tots, hash browns, sausages, ham, biscuits with gravy, an omelet station, fruits, cereal, bagels. My only gripe with the breakfast was that since gratuity was included in the buffet package, all I had to do was sign in with my room number. As tip was included in my package, ALL the morning servers were rather lazy and didn't tend to me with refills on coffee, extra napkins, etc. They just took my voucher ticket, gave me a cup of coffee and basically deserted me!! Not happy about the crappy level of service in the mornings. Do NOT get a breakfast included in your package otherwise it's really NO service at all!! The servers didn't really had to work for their tip since it was included in my package, so that made me very upset. I had to fend for myself in the mornings.

However, overall the hotel was a good affordable place to stay at while in Kauai. Very central location to the airport, good shopping, etc. In fact, it only took us about 30-40 mins. to drive to the north side of the island to visit Hanalei Bay, past Princeville. Super easy to drive around the entire island as there is only 1 main highway (Kuhio 56 highway). Only 10% of the island is driveable, the rest you will have to see via a helicopter or by water. I get lost in a paper bag, so navigating around this island was SUPER EASY!!! I loved the friendliness of all the locals. The valet staff were also super awesome to ask for directions. Those guys are awesome!!! I would highly recommend a car when you visit this island. :)

I would definitely come back to KBR. Good service, except by the restaurant staff. Rooms were very basic/clean. Good family place for your family, but please control your children. Don't have them running around like wild banshees for those of us who are on vacation and need some rest! I would definitely visit again for sure! BTW, this isn't a super ritzy resort so don't be expecting some Olympic sized swimming pool or for the roof to be dangling with golden chandeliers...this is a very "homey" resort and it felt like staying with a good friend. Thank you my new friends at KBR. I will be back!

Room Tip: Get a room in building 4, closest to the beach. Higher rooms garner better ocean views. Mountain vie...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
GeneralManager808, Director of Sales at Kauai Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Aloha and thank you so much for your detailed review. We appreciate that you found our property to be a good value for the price and that our location was convenient for your needs. We look forward to your return and in the meantime, we wish you much aloha.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (516)
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

We had a great experience at this hotel and really loved the staff. They were so friendly and it is a great location to see the island from. It didn't take long to commute to the north and south shore from this location. The pools and hot tubs were great. Food was good. The beach is nice to walk along or catch a sunrise from but for swimming it is not advisable. And my girlfriend loved her two massages she got from the spa while we were there. We hated the additional parking rate but overall this place was really nice and we will likely be back soon.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Aloha and thank you very much for your comments. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your experience at the Kauai Beach Resort. We are constantly striving to find ways to improve and feedback from our guests is very important to us. We look forward to your return to Kauai and invite you to stay with us once again. Aloha!
Avalon, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

We stayed at the Kauai Beach Resort & Botique for four days between islands and loved every second. It's a beautiful resort with wonderful oceanfront room / views from everywhere..
Because it's smaller you will love the ease of doing just about everything on site. The first few minutes on the property we met a Long Island transplant named Elaine and she was WONDERFUL. Classy lady who loves her job and the glow she had on her face when helping us out was very genuine. Shutters Bar & Restaurant served great food and the Caesar salad with fresh catch was fantastic.its in a great central location to easily drive to all the sites and beaches.

Highly recommend

Room Tip: All room have some view of the ocean
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Aloha and thank you for sharing your experience at the Kauai Beach Resort. We are pleased that you were able to explore our lovely Garden Isle. Please come again soon. We would love for you to be our guests once again!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

This was our first trip to Kauai so I booked a package deal that included the Kauai Beach Resort for a 7 night stay. The location was centrally located, a few miles away from the airport. It was convenient being central so you don't have to drive all the way around the island to get to the other end.
I was quite impressed with how clean the place is. The staff were friendly and attentive. The room (booked a mountain view and received a partial ocean view) was very clean and well kept with a king bed.
The pool area and grounds were clean. Lots of different pools to choose from too. We counted about 9-10 waterfalls in and around the pools which was nice.
The hotel restaurant was well priced and the staff was very attentive. The food was very good and plentiful. They have a gift shop as well fully stocked with all the basic necessities.
Overall I would give this hotel an excellent rating. Very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Aloha and mahalo for your kind review. We are so happy that your first visit to the Garden Isle was enjoyable and that you found our general guest experience to be excellent. We invite you to return soon and look forward to your visit. Until then, we wish you much aloha.
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014 via mobile

I spent six nights here. Overall my experience was positive although I'd like to highlight some pros and cons:

The location is perfect as a start point to explore the island. The only thing I don't like is how dangerous is the access to the highway, specially South bound.

I enjoyed the surroundings, the well-maintained gardens and the pools; it's not true they have a private beach as all beaches are public in Hawaii, however they have a direct access from one of the pools which makes it convenient. The beach is not worth so I recommend to go to the nearest one, by the golf course.

The staff was very helpful and kind; smiles and greetings all the time. Special remarks on this for housekeeping and the breakfast lounge. Clerks from the front desk were randomly kind.

The restaurant (Naupaka Terrace) has a wide selection of wines and a comprehensive menu with many options that include a salad buffet, fresh fish of the day and everything tasted to me as fresh and well-cooked. The breakfast buffet has also many options and they don't rush you to leave your table soon; in fact, servers are extremely helpful and nice, it was a pleasure to deal with them. The cafeteria were they place live music is not the same; although the chocolate bread pudding is to die for, the server I had looked to me as unhappy and she didn't take care much of our order or how happy we were with the food.

Staff from the pool wasn't very helpful either; they ran out very soon of towels and the hot tubs were just another playground for unattended kids.

You have to pay if you need to print your boarding passes. I had to pay $8 for the time and paper I spent to print 2 boarding passes; I can deal with a fee for WiFi in you room but not with this. The lobby has free WiFi but it gets rapidly slow when there are a couple of users streaming videos.

You have to pay also for parking; they monitor randomly if you have the fee receipt on the dashboard but I'm sure there is no further action but a notice on your windshield.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing Kauai Beach Resort and for your comments. We are consistently looking to improve our guest experience and we found your input very helpful. We have addressed the challenges around the pool by adding more personnel to ensure registered guests are well accommodated. We are pleased you enjoyed the service in our restaurant and have addressed the issue of printing boarding passes. Our front office is happy to print these for guests, free of charge if they just provided the confirmation information so they may access on-line. Thanks again for your comments. We look forward to having you as our guests when you return to our beautiful Garden Isle.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

Close to the airport and centrally located to all attractions on the island excellent place to stay.
This was my first trip to Kaui and this choice was totally worth the value in all respects.
I travelled around the Island and saw no reason that I would choose another location on my next visit.

• Stayed July 2014
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

Needing just one night's accommodations after arriving late at the airport in Lihue, I booked a room at the Kauai Beach Resort with a king bed (for my husband 6'1"and me 5'10") and a roll-away (for our teen son) through Expedia. I also paid extra for a partial ocean view. The plan was to be able to get a good night's sleep and recharge before making the drive the next day to the North Shore where "work" awaited us. I specifically over-looked other nearby properties because I did not want a room with double beds. However, upon check-in, we were told that all we could have was a room with double beds, argh. Further, we were informed that the resort does not even own roll-away cots?! Needless to say, given the late hour, we were stuck. As consideration for the problem, we were offered a room with an ocean view--really? Can you say, bait and switch? Arguably, the problem could very well have been Expedia's lack of knowledge about this property at the onset. However, the result was the same--the worst night's sleep I've ever had in a hotel.

Room Tip: Book direct with this property.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Been to Kauai Beach Resort? Share your experiences!