“Great Vacation! Too Short...” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Lihue
Los Angeles, California
“Great Vacation! Too Short...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

This is our family's first time to visit Kauai, HI. My brother-in-law booked this property because there were 10 of us traveling Kauai. When we first arrived at the property, our GPS indicated that we have arrived but we couldn't find the property. It turns out the property consists of Marriott Beach Resorts and Spa, the Golf Course and the Marriott's Kauai Lagoon. It's a very HUGE property indeed. After asking the valet at the Beach Resort, he directed us to continue to follow the road until it ends and sure enough, we found the place. Our first impression of Marriott Kauai Lagoon was a typical Courtyard by Marriott or Residences by Marriott. However, after we checked in, to my surprise....it's more like the Ritz Carlton Residences. My bro-in-law reserved the three bedroom villa and it was very spacious for a family of 10. They have high quality furnitures, well equipped kitchen, LCD TV in all three bedrooms, all rooms have its own bath or full bath, all king beds, spacious closet, two out of the three bedrooms have a GREAT VIEW of the ocean/beach/mountain. WONDERFUL terrace with plenty of seatings for dining out in the terrace or for just lounging on the terrace. AMAZING view from the terrace. One day we even saw a cruise ship disembarking the nearby port. The villa is also equipped with laundry room. Had we knew it earlier, we wouldn't have packed so many clothing!

The facility at Kauai Lagoon also included a well equipped gym and activity room next to the gym. The gym has a GREAT view as well and the equipments were well maintained and most looked brand new. The activity room is equipped with a Wii System, a projector and screen, with atleast 6 speakers, fooseball table, sectional sofas and a desktop computer. Also, they have a kid friendly pool and barbecue areas in which their staff cleans it every day!

All in all this facility is a great facility, well maintained and beautiful. I would definitely come back to this facility if we plan to visit Kauai again. Don't be fooled by the close proximity to Lihue Airport. You don't hear the jet at all when staying at this resort. You do hear the helicopters buzzing by every few minutes but all those are silenced by the wonderful property, AMAZING views and great company!

Thanks Marriott Kauai Lagoons for a very pleasant vacation!! To all the staffs...a job well done for keeping the facility as beautiful as it is and being friendly and pleasant at the same time!!!

Room Tip: Building B has a great view of the ocean, golf course and the pool!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

My experience at Marriott's Kauai lagoons was great. I am very happy with them. THey have such a beautiful views. I love the ocean breeze and I love http://kauaiphotographer.com for taking such nice photographs for me.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Lihue
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

I'm a local who had the opportunity to stay here in October 2012. It was an absolutely beautiful property and the views were amazing. This place is one of the best places I've had the opportunity to stay on the island. It's a new facility but very spacious and modern. We stayed in a 3 bedroom unit. The pool is small and you don't have automatic access to the Kauai Marriott pool. You have to pay an additional fee for the pass. Not a lot of amenities but if you're looking for somewhere the views are breathtaking, the landscaping is beautiful and rooms that are clean, lavish and modern, this is the place to go.

The one downfall was the check out was early. I believe it was 10:00 and because it was a busy weekend and of course t takes a while to clean a 3 bedroom unit. they were only able to accommodate a 1 hour extension which helped us out.

• Stayed October 2012
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

I was extremely impressed by the upscale rooms and beautiful views. The lanai is huge and features a full-length glass sliding door that opens the living room and kitchen up to the ocean breeze. This is definitely a very peaceful and relaxing location. The pool area was nice, but did not have as much to offer the children as some of the other Marriott Vacation clubs. In order to access the beach, one must take the shuttle (very convenient and frequent) to the Marriott resort. I heard that sometime very soon they are adding stand-up paddle boarding and kayaking options to the lagoon. I can't wait to go back again.

Room Tip: The airport shuttle is very convenient. If you don't plan to leave the property much, just rent...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

The Marriott Kauai Lagoons on the south shore of Kauai, Hawaii is a beautiful place with great views of Nawiliwili Bay and the mountains beyond. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here in early November 2012. If I wanted to nitpick I guess I could complain about the resort being too close to the airport, not serving food and drinks poolside, a boarded-up building in the backyard, and so on. But none of those things affected our enjoyment of the place. Not one iota. Although Lihue Airport is nearby, not once were we disturbed by planes flying overhead. They flew over the bay, not over our heads.

In our backyard was a beautiful recreation building with a game room and a health club surrounded by tinted windows and with brand new exercise equipment, and nearby was a golf course overlooking Nawiliwili Bay and the Lihue Lighthouse. In our front yard was one of the most gorgeous views of an island paradise you could ever imagine. (Check the photos for yourself).

I actually preferred the Marriott Kauai Lagoons to the more crowded Marriott Kauai Beach Club which shares the same property. We were treated to a three-bedroom condo on the top floor of the Kauai Lagoons. It had all the modern conveniences, new furnishings and a balcony that covered the width of the living space. The balcony became an integral part of the condo when the glass doors were folded open, and they remained open most of the time.

I’ve been to many resorts courtesy of my brother’s time-share program with Marriott and I’ve never been disappointed. The Marriott Kauai Lagoons is no exception.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

We just completed a one week stay at the Marriott Kalanipu'u property and loved it. We had a 3 BR villa on the 4th floor with a beautiful view. As others have said, the property is beautifully landscaped, and the villas are nicely appointed with high-end kitchen appliances (like a dishwasher you can run and still watch TV nearby), Sub-Zero fridge, and convection/microwave, as well as a full stove. Loved the doors that slide all the way open to the lanai making it wonderful to sit either inside or out. BTW, some earlier reviews complained about the noise from the airport, but we weren't bothered by that at all. The windows there are well insulated and blocked any airport noise (as well as the crowing chickens.) All the staff were very helpful (to the extent they were informed about things), and there were a number of activities on-site. Parking is ample and convenient. The swimming pool is very nice, and was not crowded at all while we were there. There were ample lounge chairs and umbrellas. We did not use the grills, but saw several people who did, and they were well maintained in the usual Marriott fashion. We made good use of the shuttle to go back and forth to the Marriott Kauai Ocean Club, which is where all the on-site restaurants are situated, as well as the concierge. It is a walkable distance just under a mile, but the shuttle was very convenient. Just so you know, they will send a shuttle to pick you up at the airport which is just minutes away. Also be aware that if you go to the beach at the other Marriott property you are not allowed to use their pool or lounge chairs (they have wrist bands, and the property is monitored). However, unbeknownst to us until the last day, the Lagoons property does have a number of folding chairs you can borrow and take with you over to the beach. And on Monday morning (early), there is an orientation over at the Ocean club where they do a really good job of describing all the possible activities on the island. We had to ask about this as it was not shown on the printed material given to us at check-in. So do your research, and ask lots of questions. I would have given this property a "five" except for the lack of on-site eating facilities, and the fact that the staff was not really well informed. We did not take them up on the offer for the "owner update", and this is one time I wish we had, since I would like to have heard what the plans are for the future. Would definitely go back here.

Room Tip: I think this may be one property where there are no bad choices for rooms. Even the rooms on the fi...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Broomfield, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

My husband and I are Marriott Vacation Club owners and we stayed here with my parents. It was their first time to Hawaii. My mom is in a wheelchair and the grounds were wonderfully equipped for her. They even had a lift available to lower her into the pool. This rental was made available at a sale price because the property is still under construction. However, there was no noise or eye-sores to speak of. We paid for a garden view, but we required a disability-friendly room. So, I believe we were given an upgrade to an ocean view. I have added some photos of the fantastic view we had. The grounds were wonderful, considering the resort does not have direct beach access.

I was shocked when I saw the availability of parking. One can actually park very close to their villa on this property. On previous vacations at other Vacation Club resorts, we were forced to park on the other side of the grounds and walk about a half mile to our room.

The villas themselves are wonderfully appointed and clean. I had expected it to be more spacious, it did feel a bit cramped with four people. I don't recommend staying in a two bedroom with six people...but there is a pull-out bed so it can be done.

I've seen complaints about the property being too close to the airport, and that worried me. Do not be concerned with this. Unless you are extremely sensitive to air traffic, you will not be bothered. Yes, the planes land very close by. However, you cannot see the runway. It is obstructed by massive foliage and the lagoons.

Some problems we encountered? The door to our room became stuck and trapped us inside. One quick call brought maintenance to the rescue in two minutes and the door was fixed quickly.

The activity room could be better. Marriott has a very strict check-out time of 10am and this normally wouldn't bother us, but my parent's return flight wasn't until 8:30pm. My dad had planned to use the activity room to work a bit on this final day. My mom had planned to watch movies and relax on the couch. They could do neither. The hotel turned off their wi-fi access soon after they checked out, so my dad couldn't work. The couch was not comfortable at all, and the staff couldn't get the DVD's or games to play on the Wii console. Don't plan to take refuge here while you wait for your flight.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Marriott's Kauai Lagoons? Share your experiences!