“Great Tour” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 8 Attractions in Lihue
Type: Historic Sites, Farms, Museums
Activities: Shopping
More attraction details
Owner description: This 80-acre site was originally a sugar plantation where you can see the original family mansion, the worker's quarters and many fine gardens.
Tempe, Arizona
“Great Tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2011

This was an excellent tour - highly recommend from a world traveler. This was a great way to learn about the history of Kauai.

Visited June 2011

Cleveland, OH
7 attraction reviews
“Hidden Jewel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2011

We were looking to scratch a little deeper beneath the surface since this was our 3rd trip to Kauai, and so decided to tour Grove Farm. This is a very underappreciated attraction, as witnessed by the fact that there are only 4 prior reviews on TA. We spent an enjoyable 2.5 hours touring the grounds on a morning when it was threatening to rain, and came away with a new appreciation for Kauai's history (at least that of the haole era), and specifically for the sugar cane industry on the island. Our tour guide was outstanding, really knew his stuff, and communicated it enthusiastically (even our 12 and 13 year olds said they enjoyed the tour, although from their perspective 30 minutes less would have been ideal). This is definitely worth a couple hours even if it's your first time visiting Kauai.

Visited June 2011
Big Island, Hawaii
67 attraction reviews
“2 1/2 hour tour of sugar plantation "mansion"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2009

Okay, if you grew up on the East Coast, this probably doesn't qualify as a mansion for you, but take it from me, for Hawaii this is a mansion. They totally put to shame the historic ranch homes on our island. Obviously sugar cane was WAY more profitable than ranching! I can't say enough good about this tour and this property. It was so wonderful and such a great use of my vacation and tourist time. If you only want to lie on the beach and get a tan, then never mind, but if you like history then I really really highly recommend this tour! See their website for days and times. You need to make a reservation and you need to wear flip flops or crocs that you can kick off at the front door of each building you visit.

los angeles
3 attraction reviews
“The Best Deal on the Islands”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2009

My wife and I stumbled upon this wonderful place almost by accident. This place and the 2 hour tour they take you on are just about as good as it gets. The structures are just stuffed with all the original furniture and personal belongings of the people who actually lived there when it was a working sugar plantation, and the grounds are just loaded with all kinds of plants and trees that they used for food and everything else.

They even take you into the kitchen and serve you free cookies and ice tea that they actually make right there. The Grove Farm is now a nonprofit group so they only ask for a $10 donation for each person. This tour is the best deal I have ever seen on any of the islands- they teach you so much about life at that time that you get a real feel for what it would have been like to live there, both as an owner and as a worker.

We only found this place because I saw something about a free train ride that they had on the 2nd Thursday of each month. We also did this and found it just as delightful and fascinating as the main tour. It is not easy to find the train entrance so you will have to call them and ask for directions, but it is only a few blocks from the main farm.

As for the main farm, when they say their entrance sign on Nawiliwili Rd in Lihue is small they really mean it- it is no larger than a mail box and we went right by it the first time.

You just have to do this when on Kauai. You will not be disappointed. Also make sure you drive up to Hanalei Bay on the north shore for one of those slack key concerts at the community center on Friday at 4:00 or Sunday at 3:00. (There is all kinds of info on these in other reviews on this site.)

Chicago, IL
“Informational, educational and inexpensive”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2009

I had been told about Grove Farm from a friend who had visited years ago. I wasn't even aware of it on previous trips to Kauai. One day when I had a few hours free with the kids (ages 10 & 13), I thought we'd take the tour. According to the guide books, it says the tours fill up quicky and you should make reservations in advance. The tours only run 3 days a week at 10 am amd 1pm, so I thought there was no way I would be able to get in on short notice. I called around 9 am on a Tues to see if we could get into the 10 am tour that day, and luckily there was room. We arrived a few minutes late and joined the tour, which was only one other couple. Thankfully I knew exactly where this was located as I had passed by it the previous day when exploring around Lihue. It's secluded in the midst of shopping and neighborhoods - such an unlikely place.

We had a knowledgeable guide who told us stories and showed pictures of the family who owned and ran the plantation. The kids were hanging on to his every word, and they really enjoyed seeing the buidlings and orchards with all of the tropical fruit/nut trees. They especially liked the sugar cookies and juice we had in the old kitchen at the end of the tour.

It's hard to believe this tranquil homestead is in the middle of busy Lihue. It's so affordable ($5 per person), and provides a glimpse into the lives of the people who lived here over a hundred years ago. Well worth the visit.