“First two nights of our honeymoon after leaving maui where we were married!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Marriott's Kaua'i Beach Club

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Lihue
Lindsay, Canada
“First two nights of our honeymoon after leaving maui where we were married!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

This location was great. Five minute comp shuttle from the airport. The hotel grounds were beautiful . The pool was huge and I believe there were five hot tubs. The cove was a great place to swim and see the cruise ship leave from. We ate at dukes for dinner which was really good and I think between 4-5 they had a live band playing not sure on correct times. The second night we ate at the sushi restaurant at the Marriott . Great. Very nice waiter who informed us of great places to see on the island. We had a pool/ ocean view room. The mountains were very green and lush. If you explore behind dukes there are a lot of shops and restaurants. I can't remember the name of the restaurant but it had a big breakfast sign and shaved ice sign. It had awesome breakfasts. We then took the shuttle back o the airport for our helicopter touring our last day before heading o the other side of the island. The staff at the from desk helped us with a scan and fax for unexpected business while we were there. They were very accommodating. I greatly appreciated it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
San Jose, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

When we first arrived at the bellhop and took the escalator down to the lobby level, I was impressed by the size of the structure inside. The large fish and dragon statues on each side of the enclosed garden area brought Vegas to mind. Everything looked relatively modern, aside from the expected historical decor.
However, our room revealed the age of the property. The hallway we were on was long and tomb-like, and felt like something out of "The Shining." We were on the same hall as the Marriott Vacation Club back-office: that is, the offices where those folks check in and out for work, not where timeshare preso's would happen. Our floor (fifth) was on the same level as the bellhop, which turned out to be convenient, because we never had to take the elevator or escalator to walk out to the parking area. Speaking of which, after our initial use of the elevator to get to our floor from the lobby level, I never was able to get the elevator from our floor - I tried a couple of times, but the elevator never came, and I ended up taking a stairwell or the escalator.
An employee mentioned that this converted property was old - I think they said something like 60 years.
Because we had traded from our Marriott Ko Olina timeshare on Oahu, I was expecting a kitchenette. Shame on me for not reading the room description, which states that there's just a mini-refrigerator.
The property is nice. The pool is massive, and having five hot tubs is great. The water slide is small - I'd think not really interesting for kids over 9 or 10. Location is very convenient to the airport, and several tourist shops, activity-booking offices, and restaurants are within easy walking distance. The beach was never crowded during our stay (spring break) - we saw a lot more people at Poipu, which is a bigger beach draw.
We'll be back to Kauai someday, but will opt to stay at a place with a kitchen.

>>> Timeshare tip<<<
We agreed to sit through another Marriott timeshare pitch, and were given the option of either the Lagoons property up the road or the Waiohai at Poipu. To go to the Waiohai, you have to have your own transportation (it's a 25-30 minute drive), so Marriott increases your gift and also gives you a day pass to that property. We went with that, because we wanted to give the kids a change of scenery. Plus we got to see Poipu and a bit of Koloa, which we might not have gotten around to otherwise. So for the effort of a short drive (and a preso of course), you can make a day of visiting another nice area and using another nice property. Remember to bring your own towels from the old Marriott.

Chesapeake, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Very comfortable, very nice, good location for all things we wanted to do. Pool at times could get a bit noisy when their parents don't care to pay attention to them, maybe a separate, adult only pool would meet the needs of those who don't want to be around children? Golf course was great, in wonderful shape.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Menlo Park, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

I own at this resort a 2bed/2bath unit. The resort is in an awesome location with one of the better beaches on the island (sheltered and safe for kids). The location is also great because it's a mid point on the island and easy to make day trips to Waimea or Hanalei.

But.... my room had several cockroaches! This is just unacceptable. The staff came in and killed them and offered to spray. Well we don't want to have a sprayed room! They told us that they spray monthly and it was perfectly safe - Don't know about you but a cockroach is probably one of the hardiest bugs around. I've heard it said that they will survive a nuclear holocaust and yet they want to spray something that's going to kill it.

Last time I went ~18 mo ago to this resort I found it great (except the renovation noise). They of course promised that that next time I would benefit from the renovation. Well my place wasn't renovated and in fact it was in dire need of an upgrade. The bathroom towel hooks kept falling off the wall. The screen doors don't quite close (perhaps how the bugs get in). The wall mirror in the bathroom had spots that were black....

Bottom line - hard to recommend until they fix these things.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Disappointing, not your typical Marriott. The staff has a carefree attitude about everything and anything. Our room was not ready on time and it was ...oh well was the front desk attitude.
The restaurant is NOT a Marriott but contracted, the quality of the food is very poor, especially for the price.

Rochester, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in a time share unit. It was very nice. The view was amazing. We were on the 4th floor so our unit was ground level with the 3rd floor roof top garden which was beautiful! Our villa had a King sized bed, living room, full kitchenette, and two full bathrooms. The tubs were nice and deep and I enjoyed a bubble bath every evening! The kitchenette had a blender, which made it very easy to enjoy drinks on the balcony! We also had two fridges, which came in handy. Our unit was across the hall from the elevator and ice machine and I was bracing myself to be woken up by them and I can honestly say that I only heard the ding from that elevator once! And we went to bed pretty darn early!

I was extremely impressed by the fact that although there were plenty of children on the property, I never heard them! Seriously! I was expecting to hear screaming on the beach and near the pool but for some reason we never did. I was also expecting to have to hunt for a beach chair each morning, but there were so many to choose from, it was never a problem at all and you didn't need to stick towels on them to "save" them. In fact, we moved around often!

We were very happy to find the Feral Pig across the street, what a great place for breakfast!
We had lunch twice at the grill by the pool. The drinks were ridiculously pricey and had just a splash of alcohol. Seriously,
I watched her drizzle the bottle over 4 drinks on that tray! I would say that the food and service were average. It was convenient and clean.

I will say that after reading reviews of this hotel, I was a bit worried but was very pleasantly surprised. We were on a beautiful island, on a gorgeous beach, really, what on earth is there to complain about? I was certainly grateful to be there and my husband and I had a terrific time together!

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Syracuse, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

This is a very nice hotel with a great kid pool and waterslide. The hotel is a bit too big for me and that is a personal preference. It felt like a trek to get back to the room or to the car. There are limited paths that are stroller friendly probably due to the age of the hotel. The hotel has been kept up, but just wasn't designed to be wheelchair or stroller friendly so the options are limited.

We were upgraded to a very nice pool view and they provided a microwave in our room upon request but our original garden view was of a storage shed. While I know it is hard to have great views from all rooms, but it is much too expensive to look at a storage shed. If sold, these rooms should be at a significantly reduced rate. Since we were taken care of, I was pleased with the service.

The restaurant on site was good when we had breakfast there. There is a nice beach area and a very nice walking path that goes to some restaurants. We walked to dinner at Duke's Canoe Club which was fun.

Overall it was comfortable and enjoyable but not the perfect place for us in the future.

Room Tip: Be careful at check in if you select a "garden view"