“Really nice room” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Lihue
Connecticut shore
“Really nice room”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We stayed here five nights a the end of October. We must have had an updated room, because everything was very fresh. We had an ocean view directly out the balcony, and a view of the back of another building to the right. The view was terrific. The decor in general was not what I think of as Hawaiian. The public areas looked like they had been designed for people in togas, big columns, etc. But the staff was very pleasant, the room great. We had a package that required the 90 minute "buy this timeshare" talk, so we paid a really good price for our stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

We were there with our son and his family. The grandkids loved the koi feeding every day at 9AM. The grounds are beautiful, pool is large and relaxing too. The beach is great for kids to play in the sand for hours at a time. They loved the pool for the kids and the slide. Kalapaki bar is a great place to relax with a drink and lunch. Kurt the bartender was a joy for everyone he serves.

Room Tip: Rooms with an ocean front are great, but how much time do you spend in your room in Hawaii?
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

We like this resort and stayed in a hotel room on points rather than a time share room like last time. We like both. Upon request they put a microwave in our room and with the refridge it worked fine.
We always rent a cabana.
Breakfast is good at the pool restaurant. After that the food on site is mediocre. Dukes continues to be where we eat except breakfast. For a great date night try Gaylord's less than 10 minutes away.
I worked each morning in the room and required a good internet connection to access the databases I needed. The Internet connection was excellent and our deal allowed 5 devices at no charge. Even if there was a charge I would have paid. I travel a decent amount and this is the best Internet service yet.

• Stayed October 2012
Buena Park, California, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

I am very disappointed at this resort and we will not ever go back at this resort. My hubby got bitten by a bug, seven times and my brother-in-law also. We didn’t even get to enjoy the resort and basically ruined our vacation. We checked in on 8/29/12, supposedly planned to stay there for at least 3 days but because of what happened to my hubby, we decided to leave on 8/30/12 (can you believe that not even 24 hours) and go back to Marriott Ko'Olina. My hubby was traumatized with the bites and the bugs and he didn’t want to stay there another night and get bitten again. I complained to the front desk what happened to my husband, they did tried to accommodate what we need, which I have requested to refund me back for my week, our airfare tickets and airfare transfer fees, which the front desk agreed and promised me. However, the front desk said that because the airfare tickets were over their limit to refund, they needed to file a claim, knowing that everything will be settled. Well, that was not the case, their claim adjustor denied the claim and even stated that we were the one who brought the bugs on their rooms because according from their investigation that they didn't find any bugs and prior to us checking in they were other people who checked in on that same room and they didn't have any bugs problem. How could this adjustor say that to me? When she told me over the phone I was so mad and pissed. I’m very disappointed because now this resort is basically telling us that it was our fault why my husband and brother-in-law got bitten by bugs...sooo ridiculous. Can you believe that we were not even there for 24 hours and my husband had to deal with those bites already. I will never coming back at this resort. I have been a Marriott Owner since 2005 and for this resort to treat me like this, is very very very disappointing. Ruined our vacation, not even to get to see and experience Kauai and for this resort to say it was our fault, sooo wrong.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

My husband and I are in our 50’s and we stayed here from September 29 to October 15, 2012. We had a nice room, which was room 921 (9th floor), and it was ocean front. It had a small lanai, but did fit two chairs and a small tab le, which was perfect for drinking coffee in the morning, or having a cocktail in the evening. Loved hearing the crashing of the waves, as it lulled us to sleep every night. Although it has air-conditioning, we didn’t need it, as we kept our patio doors open (screen door shut). This room had a Murphy bed, which converted from a couch to a bed for the night; it was easy to pull up and down. There isn’t much room when the bed is down, so we used to pull it up as soon as we got out of bed (no big deal as we are early risers). The bed was okay to sleep in (would prefer a “real bed), not like ours at home, but was functional. They only had two pillows in the room, but the cleaning staff did bring us two extra when we left a note as well as the front office staff sent up two more. (We had six pillows in all..lol). There is a safe in the closet and our room had a flat screen TV (42 inch) which came with a DVD player. The room came with a single sink, mini fridge, dishwasher, silverware, dishes, cups, glasses, a juice pitcher, colander, toaster and a blender. There was even a small round kitchen table with two chairs for eating at. It was a nice little kitchen. The staff who cleaned our room, even put on the dish washer for us (although not necessary, was very nice as all we had to do was unload it). The bathroom was clean and fine (single sink), but weirdly it didn’t have a fan, so after a shower, used the hand held dryer to clear the mirror. It was a bath and tub combo, which had decent water pressure. We had fresh towels every day and the cleaning staff even left an extra set..

The grounds are fabulous. We even managed to see the 9:00 am Koi feeding... The best part of the resort was the pool; we spent hours and hours in it (26,000 square feet, 4 feet deep all around, with five hot tubs) and even were able to take floatable devices (air mattress and a noodle) into the pool. You get a towel key and then exchange it for two towels and they also give you a paper wrist band to wear every day (not a big deal, easy to put on and remove). They have pool service which is from 11 to 4 pm, and that was perfect when we so desired something to eat or drink. I miss that pool for sure!!!!

The grounds are well maintained. Sometimes, it can get a little confusing when you first arrive to find your way around, but the front desk staff provide you with a map and all the pleasant employees will direct you if you get lost. There is some nice restaurants right on the property with a view of the beach and ocean (Duke’s, Café Portofino, which we ate at) and if that doesn’t tickle your fancy, short 2 minute walk to Anchor Cove (JJ’s Broiler) and across the street in Harbour Mall there is many decent places to eat (Mariachi’s and Feral Pig, to name a few).

When you first arrive, the bellman will help you with your bags, and will store them for you while you check in. Once you check in, they delivered the bags with in about 15 minutes. At the bellman station, there is a a fresh infused with fruit water station, that we used to fill up our small personal water bottle with before we drove out or came back, it was very refreshing....

The property is five minutes from the airport, and I didn’t hear any planes for two weeks except for two. I think the only thing I did not like was having to pay $16.00 per night to park the car or if you want valet service it is $19.00 per nigh, but since I knew that going into this property, it wasn’t a deal breaker. All in all, I would definitely stay here again, as we had a very relaxing and fun vacation.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Southern California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

We stayed here at Kalapaki in 06 and also back in 1989 when it was originally a 5 star Westin. We came back again 2 days ago and we loved it. Check in was great, they gave us an ocean front room that we had requested, no problem. It was not busy, which we liked. The pool, the hotel, everything was great. The rooms have been updated. It's not 5 star quality like back in the day when it was a Westin, but it still is very nice and the service was great all around. We ate upstairs at Dukes both nights and the food was great. Fish was superb. We did not want to spend 70 dollars for breakfast at the hotel so we walked over to Kalapaki Beach Hut ( I think that's the name), and ordered basic breakfast for 20 dollars for the two of us. We sat outside with the chickens at a wood table, no ambiance, but no big deal at all. We preferred to spend our money at dinner time for the great food and ambiance. Our room was clean, the grounds were very clean and kept up and of course the pool is just fabulous. We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Ocean front room is fantastic. Easier to get when the resort is not so busy. Eat breakfast off site...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

I've stayed at several different Marriott's through the exchange, and this was the least relaxing I've experienced. It was just too big, confusing to get around and inefficient to get from one place to another (a lot of back tracking required). We were traveling with an infant and the handicap/stroller accessibility was less than ideal. The couch is horribly uncomfortable, the fridge froze all of our food, the remote didn't work and the toilet was prone to run. I would not stay here again, but maybe I'm a snob.

Room Tip: Try to get a newly remodeled room, and request to be in the main tower, it is far from the front des...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Marriott's Kaua'i Beach Club? Share your experiences!