“Kilohana Luau” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 36 things to do in Lihue
Activities: Viewing wildlife
More attraction details
Owner description: Built in the 1930’s, Kilohana Plantation is a historic landmark and premier visitor attraction offering visitors and locals a glimpse into Kauai’s past combined with assorted island-style activities, dining and shopping. Ride on our Kauai Plantation Railway, winding its way through the plantation’s working farms and orchards. Learn about Kauai’s history, enjoy the beautiful views and stop to feed the pigs! Take the afternoon to stroll the grounds and explore the 16,000 sq. foot plantation home. Stop in at Koloa Rum Co. for a rum tasting or for a full “Rum & Dining Experience.” Visit the various artisan shops located around the grounds and both upstairs and downstairs in the home. Established in 1986, Gaylord’s restaurant is a Kauai tradition. Set in the courtyard of the estate, it offers fresh, island-inspired food and beverages for lunch, dinner and Sunday brunch. Make lunch a part of your fun afternoon on the estate or make reservations for a romantic dinner. Memorable by day, unforgettable by night. Opening soon: A fun new bar in the Kilohana living room. Luau Kalamaku is Kauai’s only theatrical luau telling the story of the original Tahitian voyage to the Hawaiian islands. An interactive experience, it offers all the exciting luau features including an imu ceremony, torch lighting, Polynesian knife dance and of course traditional music & hula. Choose one or all of the features that Kilohana Plantation has to offer. Open daily, you’ll love the chance to see a piece of Kauai’s history while experiencing the best of the island today!
Fort Worth, TX
8 attraction reviews
“Kilohana Luau”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2009

Save your money. At $95 per person the food should be decent, it was terrible. The worst food we had while in Kauai. The only good thing about this luau was the show... Food was terrible. I heard from others vacationers that the Smith Family Luau was a good value.

Seattle
6 attraction reviews
“Very nice train ride”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2009

If you're into train rides a must do. I and my husband loved the ride. Informative guide. Someone in another review mentioned a farmer's market. They do plan to do that in a few months according to the guide. I loved the fact that they are planting endemic trees on their land to try to support local species for the future.

We also enjoyed walking through the house and getting a glimpse of the plantation past. I like genuine experiences and this is one of them.

Yokohama, Japan
5 attraction reviews
“I enjoyed feeding animals.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2008

Last day of my Kauai stay, I went to Kilohana. I took lunch at Gaylord's restaurant. Crab & artichoke dip was delicious. We started to eat at 1:30. Luckily, we could catch the last train of Plantation railway. I enjoyed the ride. I was happy to have time to feed wild pigs (babies were so cute.), goat and sheep.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
9 attraction reviews
“not a farmer's market”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2008

What drew us here was something we read in one of the tourist guides about a farmer’s market on-site. When we arrived and started asking around, no one knew what we were talking about, and there was no fresh produce for purchase on this “plantation.” A bit disappointing, but since we were already there, we had a look around. The day we visited was gray and cold and rainy, so we didn’t go on the train ride, and we didn’t eat at Gaylords because it struck us as too “touristy” and a bit pricey as well. There were plenty of cute shops that had many unique things, so the shopping here is good if that’s what you are looking for. The mansion is interesting to see. I was hoping that there was more to do, but that was it. We left after a couple hours, and were not too impressed.

Edinburgh
“A Wonderful Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2008

For several years I was fortunate enough to travel to kauai each October. I never missed the opportunity to visit Kilohana Plantation, particularly Gaylords Restaurant. The food far surpassed anything I'd ever had where I lived and the Chef was quite oblidging when asked about his wonderful tomato soup. I quite like tomato soup and have never had a bowl full as nice as that, ever. The house and grounds were spectacular and the people I found to be some of the most friendly in all my travels. If you find yourself anywhere near Kilohana Plantation my advice would be to stop and spend a few hours. You won't be sorry