“Great Basic Lodging” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Lihue
Fort Collins, Colorado
“Great Basic Lodging”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

We were on Kauai and needed a quick place to stay one additional night. We’d used several of the places along the beach in Kapaa and found them a little worn out and impersonal for our tastes. So we decided to try the Kauai Palms Hotel in downtown Lihue. The price was right. The staff was friendly. When the need arises again to spend a quick night on Kauai, I think we will return to the Kauai Palms.

We were in room 12. Inside, it felt nearly new and very clean. The paint was fresh, the bathroom fixtures sparkled, the tile floor was clean, and the bedspread had no signs of wear. There were other clues that suggest the room itself is at least a half century old. Obviously, the property manager takes fine care. And we enjoyed the mix of old and new. The room was simple with a queen bed, chair, night stand, ceiling fan, window AC, refrigerator, microwave, and a couple pieces of art on the walls. The bath towels were delightfully soft and generous sized. The internet worked exceptionally well.

Potential first time visitors should be on alert that the Kauai Palms Hotel is in a very old section of town. Nearby homes and businesses are in need of exterior maintenance. And while exterior maintenance of the Kauai Palms Hotel seemed well cared for, the exterior felt tired and dated [thereby fitting in nicely with the neighborhood].

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Apopka
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I drove 10 minutes from the airport to Kauai Palms Hotel. The staff was first class all the way with service beyond normal duty. One of our misplaced bags had to be delivered from the airport and the ladies at the front desk received it for us while we were out to dinner at a good restaurant they had recommended. We were only there overnight, as we checked into our condo the next day. Our stay was convenient, economical,comfortable, clean and quiet, as we had an air conditioned room. This is a small old time hotel which is lovingly maintained and run, making it a great find for a night or a week.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Mililani, Hawaii
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

The front desk staff was great. Both women were really nice and helpful. They even printed out my airline boarding pass for 25 cents using the office computer, because I couldn't figure out how to do it from the guest computer. The hotel itself is clean. However, there were some ants around the sink in the bathroom, which was cured by spraying bug spray, which I got from the front desk. The location is right in Lihue town, which is a mile from the airport, so for an overnight stay it's good. The room I had was a good size with 2 twin beds, a microwave, hotplate and small sink area. However, the walls are thin, and I could hear the television from the next room. Not all rooms have air, so I upgraded to one with air. Definitely not a luxury hotel, but can't beat the price and customer service.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a room with air-also ask for a room on the second floor as the building is wood, so you c...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Oregon coast
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

I found this place some years ago while car camping. My car broke down, and it was raining, as it had been for two days. I was so glad to find an affordable, clean, nice place right in the middle of town, so I could walk to places to eat, the store, etc..

This last time I had a dawn flight and wanted the space and location to get ready to fly out. In my haste to make it out in the morning, and not needing them at the time, I forgot my sunglasses, and they were kind enough to send them to me on the mainland.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
London, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

We stayed here for one night this August. We had a long flight over and didn't Have access to our northshore condo we had rented until the day after we arrived.
This hotel is a small two story hotel. We had two rooms, one on the main floor and one on the second floor. For both of the rooms it was $95, which we thought was an excellent price!!
The hotel is only a 5 minute drive from the airport, the lady running the front desk when we arrived was very pleasant and helpful. They offer free continental breakfast, or you can just do what we did and pop downstairs to grab a coffee and go out for breakfast.
There was an AC unit in the first floor room, no AC in the second floor room, however there was a better breeze upstairs: both rooms did have ceiling fans though! You will be woken up by e roosters...but they are every in KauAi...you get used to it.
The beds were pretty comfortable, bathrooms were a decent size, and the rooms were both Very clean!

Overall our stay was great, especially for the price, we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
san jose, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

I loved staying at Kauai Palms. Corrina the GM was kind and gracious when I arrived tired. She was helpful guiding me around via maps and conversation. My room was small, cozy and wonderfully clean and rennovated. Amazingly, the price was within my skinny budget. It was withing walking distance to the beach and airport (if you like to walk). The hotel kitty Princess was delightful, coffee excellent, computer always available, and the lobby was so comfortable. Corrina and I had a lovely long chat as she waited with me for my exiting taxi. The area is safe and comfortable. I checked excellent pool but I dont think there was a pool. I will be back! Thanks again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

I booked the room on-line and didn't realize that the front desk closed for the evening at 9pm so it' a good thing I looked at my confirmation receipt because our flight had been delayed and we weren't going to make the 9pm closing time. I called and spoke to someone (forgot her name) and explained our situation and was told that they would get back to me. Well, someone eventually did get back to me and we worked out the key situation, so that was a plus.

Location is good, near the airport and right in Lihue and within walking distance to restaurants. You wouldn't know that the hotel was there because you have to go down a side street - also because we got in late there was no noticable parking available however, on another little street in the back of the property there was additional parking. We had a end room near the road on the ground floor with a king bed and two single beds and a kitchen area - microwave, mini refrigerator, hot plate, silverware, plates but no pans. Of course we didn't need to cook but if we needed it was available. Room had an air conditioning unit which was near one of the beds (a little noisy but okay). The room was clean and simple. The bathroom was small but had the complimentary toiletry items (lotion, soap, shampoo) which was nice and there was a large closet with lots of hangers.

The hotel is older so the insulation isn't the best so we could hear conversations going on from other rooms but nothing overwhelming but did I mention the roosters? Well, they do go off but I don't think the hotel has any control over that. The property itself reminded me of being on a plantation with lots of foliage and greenery.

Overall, nothing amazing but if you are looking for an good value, clean room, and good location, Kauai Palms fits the ticket.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lihue
Garden Island Inn
The Kauai Inn
#6 of 11 in Lihue
4.0 of 5 stars 289 reviews
Plantation Hale Suites

Been to Kauai Palms Hotel? Share your experiences!