“Pretty good” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 9 hotels in Lihue
left coaster
“Pretty good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2007

I'll try not to repeat things from other reviews. I'm going to complain a bit, but overall we had a good stay. If you're expecting a five star resort, go elsewhere. It is clean and comfortable. I found the staff to be very friendly if not solicitous. I didn't like that they tried to get me to use the parking shuttle when I arrived. The shuttle goes to a lot far from the buildings. They didn't volunteer that there is a lot right beside our building.

There are several hot tubs but they keep the temperature relatively low - it felt lukewarm after just a few minutes. The early bird gets the lounge: they can be hard to come by at times. They have signs posted advising that chairs/lounges are for guests only, but it did seem there were locals availing themselves. All public beaches in Kauai are open to everyone and I never saw staff challenge anyone. I didn't hear many planes despite the proximity of the airport. The most annoying thing after a while are the choppers that buzz overhead every few minutes.

Dukes was one of the better restaurants we ate at during our ten day stay. The best meal we had was probably Roy's Poipu Bar & Grill (despite few choices for kids and a dirty bathroom). We spent a fair bit of time in Koloa, about a 25 minute drive from the Marriott in Lihue. It has more of a resort feel and Old Koloa Town is nice to stroll through. Check out the monk seals that sun on Poipu beach. There are tons of colourful fish to be seen if you snorkel beside the Beach House restaurant. Got some pretty good pictures using a cheap disposable underwater camera. The Spouting Horn's eerie howl is also worth the trip.

Another highlight was Anini beach on the north shore. It has the largest reef on the island so there is a huge shallow area where you can snorkel and it's relatively safe for the kids. We saw lots of fish and a turtle and the kids collected a lot of shells. It might be fun to bring a book or guide to identify sea creatures.

We planned a lot of activities and didn't spend a ton of time on the property. Next time we'd probably rent a condo, but If I were to go back to just stay on a resort and relax I'd definitely go somewhere away from Lihue. As a hotel to sleep at and occasionally use the beach and pool the Marriott was fine.

Stayed December 2006

1,663 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (371)
Bend, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2007

We stayed at the Marriott at the beginning of November, after all the renovations had been completed.

Room-Our room was in the ha'upu tower. The room was very clean and roomy enough for the three of us. The beds are very comfortable. Our room looked out onto the service area of the hotel, so at night and in the morning there are carts going back and forth. My husband arrived a day before us so he tried to get us upgraded to a pool or ocean-view room but the staff would not let us. Still, it was a good room with minimal noise.

Grounds- The grounds are amazing. Very well kept, the koi pond is great. Try to make it at least once to the morning fish feeding. Did not see a bug except for the occasional ant at the pool.

Pool- Spend at least a day by the pool. It was not crowded while we were there. At 4 feet deep, even a non-swimmer like myself can be comfortable there.

Food- The buffet, Kukui's, was good for breakfast and dinner, but is definitely not worth the price. The poolside restaurant service, the Kalapaki Grill is good for snacks. We ate a Duke's several times during our stay, and the prices are much better there. The Hula Pie is a must-have.

The beach is nice and well groomed, but as described in other reviews, the bay is not much for swimming.

Overall, it was a great trip and we will probably stay at the Marriott on our next trip to Kauai.

• Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2007

This Hotel is just Beautiful, My Husband and I were married on the Island of Kauai we booked an oceanview Room that we just loved. The room was clean and we enjoyed sitting on our balcony watching the waves. The Decor of this hotel is nothing short of Spectacular, From the Statues to the plants and the ponds (Not to mention the most amazing Pool I have ever seen) You have to see it to believe it. The day of my wedding I was in my Gown walking through the grounds of the hotel to get to the front desk so I could get into my limosine.I felt like Royalty !! This place is beautiful, The food is Fabulous, I booked a private dinner for my husband for his birthday in one of the private gazebos...(Service was excellent) Food even better. They had a birthday cake for my husband that was the best cake I ever had) I highly recommed this hotel the service was great and everyone is so friendly.......Mahalo I love you Kauai.......We are hoping to go back for our anniversary...

• Liked — The Decor the Hotel is Spectacular
  • Disliked — That I couldn't live there
  • Tips/Secrets — Get there as quick as you can....Beautiful
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2006

Stayed here pre-Christmas and what an awesome experience. We upgraded to an ocean-view suite and felt like royalty. While the price for the suite was a little more than we wanted to spend, it was well worth the money. Pool was breathtaking and beach was first class.

Service was awesome and prices were extremely reasonable.

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone with high standards and looking to get away from the real world for awhile.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Lobby Staff
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Monterey Bay, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2006

I sailed on the Pride of America on a 7 night Hawaiian cruise with a 2 day stay on Kauai. Laying on the beach in Kona, I said, "Wouldn't it be nice to stay in a hotel to just relax while we're in Kauai?" My husband agreed, so I called the Kauai Marriott Resort and Beach Club. (We're Vacation Club owners, so I knew which resorts were there to choose from - and chose the Lihue location due to it's proximity to the ship.) When I called, I told the reservationist our situation and he bent over backwards to get us a great rate for a room that suited our needs. He looked up our MR number and then knocked $60.00 off the rate.

When we arrived, the desk agent was very friendly and upgraded us to a pool/ocean view on the 22nd floor in the Na'puhu (sp?) tower. We had a fantastic room and it was big enough to have my friends and family join us for a drink before dinner at Duke's. Dinner was great - the salad bar was especially wonderful. We went back to the room and then went swimming. It was nice that the pools were open until 10pm. Even in December, it was warm enough to swim under the beautiful moonlit sky.

One minor point - we ordered room service for dessert for my daughter and it took 45 minutes for a little ice cream. By the time it arrived, she was asleep. So, we enjoyed the Macadamia Nut Brittle on the balcony overlooking the beach.

The breakfast buffet looked awful, so we ordered off the menu at Kuhui's. The food was wonderful and we were blessed with a rainstorm during breakfast while we were seated under a palapa. My daughter was thrilled that it was pouring a few inches from us, but we were still bone dry. We played in the pool and on the beach after breakfast until it was time to go back to the ship.

But this is where the hotel really stood out for us - when it was time to leave, I had to catch a taxi back to the ship, as my mother is disabled and could not walk back to the ship (approx. 15 minute walk and her scooter battery was low). When I went to the bell desk to hail a cab, the bellmen insisted on us taking the Marriott shuttle back to the ship. They lifted my mom's scooter (about 75 lbs) onto the shuttle and drove us back to the ship. They wouldn't take any money from us and were the epitome of the aloha spirit.

In a nutshell, the grounds were gorgeous, the room was comfortable and spacious and the staff was exceedingly helpful. Staying here for just one night made me want to come back immediately. So, I booked a week's stay for us in May using our Vacation Club time. We can't wait.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — Room service time
  • Tips/Secrets — Book directly with the hotel.
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2006

We just returned from our stay at the Marriott Kauai (Lihue). Although the resort itself was beautiful, the staff and service was absolutely terrible! We are Marroitt Platinum members and always stay at Marriotts where ever we go. We will not be returning to this hotel. Reasons:
* Staff was unwelcoming and unfriendly from the check in counter, concierge desk, bell desk & restaurants. Staff seemed "put out" & made us feel like we were burdening them when we had questions regarding the area, hotel or even requests for late check out. One incident that sticks in my mind -on sunny days, the host always wanted to sit us inside the restaurant. When it was rainy & windy one day, she seated us at an outside table!?!?!
* Rooms - for (minumum of) $349/night (garden view), I would go elsewhere. Rooms were nothing special.
* Breakfast buffet - food was awful! I would try a local spot (v. staying on the resort for breakfast, lunch or dinner). I highly recommend local spots like Gaylord's (sunday brunch), Hamorah's (?). It's a noodle house...cheap & very good. For dinner, I'd try the Beach House Grill. Great view & great food. A bit pricey but worth it.
Stay at this hotel for the beauty of the resort, but don't expect much from the incompetent, lazy or just didn't care staff.

• Liked — property was beautiful - well kept
  • Disliked — staff
  • Tips/Secrets — don't expect much from the staff
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
upstate NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2006

This was to be the second stop of a three island tour, booked through a wholesaler (Gogo). It's just two miles south of Lihue Airport, so you hear the occasional jet takeoff when outdoors. We self parked and should have upped for valet; the lot is uphill from the hotel and shuttle buses bring you there and back, but are not always standing by for you. Check-in is down a long escalator from the main entrance. The gardens are wonderful and the pool a work of art. Main kitchen was being renovated during our stay; only a buffet was offered and no room service was available. On site is Duke's Canoe Club; they offer a nice menu at prices surprisingly resonable for Hawaii! You can see the cruise ship when it's docked nearby, but most passengers stay near the terminal and don't bother hotel guests. Our room was small, next to the elevator shaft AND and overlooked the roof of the main lobby; we thought this had to be the worst room in the complex (Kahili Tower, room 762) BUT there was a room below us that had unopenable windows so we felt a little better. The wired internet access is on a nightstand, across the room from the lamp table where it should be so bring a LONG ethernet cable or prepare to use the bed as your workstation! Tub faucets are seperate hot and cold valves; the temerature of the water is subject to wild swings up and down. Robes and slippers are provided free to use. Sink is small and counterspace is limited. Small ants on the sink were a minor annoyance. We had a great time on Kauai and would recommend this hotel to friends.

• Stayed December 2006
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Kauai Marriott Resort? Share your experiences!