“Absolute paradise in Kauai” 5 of 5 stars

FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Lihue
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Dallas
“Absolute paradise in Kauai”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2004

My husband and I stayed at this resort the beginning of May ( four nights,five days) for our 2nd year wedding anniversary and absolutely loved it! We are both 30 years old/no children and travel extensively (all beach locations). We always stay at either 4 or 5 star hotels and look for the perfect blend of activity and relaxation - this hotel definately has it. There are so many things that we loved about this hotel, but by far the pool is the most magnificent feature!! You can tell this from all the pictures on the internet. The rooms are large, clean, and light-filled. The staff extremely friendly and helpful. The grounds are spacious and immaculate - love all the ducks/fishes in the various ponds with waterfalls. The restraunts are great, including Duke's and a fabulous breakfast buffet. Also, the fitness center is very large, clean, and well equipped. Another huge plus to this hotel compared to other high-end hotels on the island, i.e.-Hyatt and the two 5star hotels in Princeville, is the great location, it simply cannot be beat. We actually ate at all the fine dining restraunts at the hotels mentioned above, which were great (beautiful views), however were still glad we were at the Mariott. By the way, you will not here any planes despite the close location. The airport is so small and not many flights. We never heard any in our 5 days. The only thing I will tell you about this hotel compared to the others mentioned above, is that the lobby,etc. is not overly opulent as is the Hyatt. However, I feel the rest of the resort, esp. the pool more than makes up for it!! Without exaggerating, the pool is by far one of the best I've ever seen! And I'm extremely picky when it comes to these things. I think this hotel would be perfect for any age and for families and couples alike. I talked to many guests/visitors in Kauai who agreed with me that this is the nicest Mariott they've ever stayed in. This is by far not your typical Mariott catering to only business travelers. I almost forgot: The beach, the beach, the beach: wonderful, great view of the mountains as well. We had a partial ocean view on the 6th floor that overlooked the pool, beach, and mountains - could not have been any better, even in an ocean view room. Will definately return to this hotel!!! (Also see Westin review in Maui- Great!!) Also recommend Air Kauai for helicopter tours and eating at Gaylord's.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (479)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2004

Kauai Marriott - Lihue - Trip Report

I just arrived home from 10 days at the Kauai Marriott in Lihue ( I am platinum and it was a rewards stay ).What a amazing property !

As a platinum marriott marquis member I was upgraded to a king 1 bedroom suite with 3 lanai's - ocean & pool view. The bathroom had a jacuzzi and a hugh seperate marble shower. There are only 10 of these rooms in the entire hotel

I have read bad reviews about the properties thin walls / and airport noise. We spent almost every morning at the beach on property and some part of almost every afternoon at the hugh pool and not once heard a plane going over head. I would say we saw a few helicopters during our stay but not many.

The staff was tremendous - from the waiters / to the desk clerks / to the bell men.

My wife truly enjoyed the spa and my son's and I enjoyed the tennis courts and the golf driving range !!

The island of kauai is beautiful and the best shave ice is definitely wishing well right past princeville

On a scale of 1 to 10 this overall vacation was a 10 because of the hotel !

Scott

Jenks, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2004

Honeymooned at the Kauai Marriott. Room was ok, but grounds were beautiful. Pool was really cool, that is pretty much all you can do on the grounds. Drinks were good, shopping in the hotel shops were good and Dukes was good too. Parking was hard to find, but we lived through it.
Hyatt side of the island was nicer, but either way, Kauai is paradise!

p.s. Fern Grotto sucked! Mice everywhere! Waste of time and money.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2004

My husband and I just returned from our stay at the Marriott Beach Resort. I only have great things to say about this resort. It is absolutely beautiful, very clean and the rooms were very nice. There is so much offered at the resort that a person could actually stay there and never have to go anywhere else on the island except for snorkeling. The only complaint I would have is that all the food there was very expensive, but it was delicious. I would definitely go back to the Marriott - it's first class!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2004

My new wife and I just got back from our Honeymoon after spending 9 great days at the Kauai Marriott.

I was a little worried about the hotel after reading some reviews but can now say that they were all wrong. The hotel is wonderful, the staff friendly and the pool / beach area was beautiful.

About having to go down 4 stories to get to the reception desk, it is because no building, on street level can be no taller than a palm tree. So as you would see with all the other large resorts on the island, they are built into the sides of hills and cliffs. Anyway, there is an escalator that takes you down so I don't really see what the big deal is anyway?

The room is average, but I was not there for room decor. We were on the 11th floor of an ocean view room and the view was spectacular. We could see the pool, beach, ocean and mountains. Having breakfast or a late drink on the terrace was the best. Also, the beds are sooo comfortable and the bathrooms are a little small.

Our room was flanked on both sides by other Honeymoon couples and never heard anything. Unless nobody was having "fun" on their trip (which I doubt) or the soundproofing was fine in our wing. The maids do start early and make some racket in the hallway.

I must agree with many and say go the Dukes. We ate there in the downstairs about 4 times while we were there. Get the fish tacos with their hot Rooster sauce...YUM

I will disagree with some and say that the pool food was better than ok. Try the Marriott burger, the chicken wrap or the hot dog. All were great and reasonably price, like 6 - 8 bucks. I felt those prices were fine given any resort or golf course you will pay 5- 9 bucks for lunch.

Make sure you visit the ABC store or a supermarket and pick up some beer and wine for your room. Each room has a fridge instead out a mini bar, which I thought was nice.

Lastly I will say that we met a lot of great couples there that were also honeymooners. During the week we stayed I only could count about 10 kids at the pool, the rest were adults. Sunday was kinda packed for the holiday weekend but other that that, there were not too many families there.

Having stayed at countless resorts over my years of traveling, I would recommend this one to anyone and not worry that they would not have a great time.

Hope this helps anyone that is thinking of going, it was a great time and a great resort... but the 13 hour flight home was tough!!!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2004

My in-laws decided to give us a precious gift of time and experience in Kauai by allowing us to stay at their Kauai Marriott Beach Club timeshare unit. Spending my time with my precious wife and daughter was already magical enough but to spend it in Kauai and at the Marriot Beach Club added to the splendour of the moment. We had an oceanfront unit overlooking majestic Kalapaki Bay. From moment to moment, we are drowned in the soothing sounds of the sea.

We could have spent our entire week at the resort and we would have enjoyed it, but Kauai had so much more to offer. All the other known and not so known places are easily reached by car from Lihue - making this resort an ideal location. The resort surroundings are just enthralling and captivating.

One of the airline crew announced as we landed at the airport, "Welcome to paradise..." Indeed it is - one of the very few remaining ones in our world that has seen so much decay in its history. Unwind and enjoy God's creation in this paradise He calls Kauai. By the way, don't forget to book an oceanfront unit at the Kilohana Tower from the 10th floor above - the view is spectacular.

• Stayed May 2004
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2004

The Resort is conviniently located so you can explore the whole island. We stayed for 7 nights and had a great time.
The beach at the resort is very pretty and crowded, it's quite even though the airport is very close by...you see planes flying by but the noise is minimal. We explored other beaches and our favorite was past the Missile Facility, through the sugar cane fields and a LONG, bumpy dirt road - Poipu Beach. It's deserted, there were maybe 4 other couples there. Be advised that you will need a Jeep to get there and keep going down that dirt road until you see the ocean...don't give up because it's the most beautiful beach ever. Be careful because the current is very strong so stay within the enclosed rock/bathlike area when swimming.
The hotel is large with everything you might ever want except the Hawaii feel, it's like a European palace. It's a little over the top. The pool is nice, the jacuzzis are great at night. There's also a very beautiful garden with a man-made pond with swans and ducks in it. The roosters run freely outside and we even got to meet a family with 8 baby chicks...it was precious. The staff is so-so, some are very friendly like the waitresses on the beach, the waiters/ses and hostess at the pool restaurant (which has a great breakfast buffett and ala carte items) are just nothing to write home about...mediocre. They're not rude but not very efficient nor friendly. We ate dinner at a lot of different places on the island (try the Sushi restaurant past the airport) and the food was fantastic.
The room was generic, but you're really not here to spend time in the room. It was clean and comfortable, get a ground floor room close to the beach, otherwise you'll spend more time walking than anything else. You can also have breakfast out on the lanai.
For an extra $50 fee you can stay late if you don't fly out till nigth time. Try the Hyatt restaurant Dondero's - eat outside on the terrace (very romantic) and the people are very friendly. Tidepools is a beautiful restaurant but the hostess is lacking in social skills.
I would definetly stay at the Marriott Kauai again.

Been to Kauai Marriott Resort? Share your experiences!