“Gorgeous Grounds!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Lihue
Ashburn, Virginia
“Gorgeous Grounds!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

On our last trip to Kauai (about 13 years ago) we stayed at the hotel that hosted the conference my husband attended and we stopped to check out the Marriott and we fell in love with the grounds! So, when we decided to finally return to Kauai this year there was no doubt where we would stay, plus I'm Platinum Premier in Marriott Rewards - We stay nowhere else!

After a long day of travel from the east coast we arrived at the hotel in the early evening. We were promptly greeted as we drove up, and asked if we needed help with our bags. I told the bellman I wasn't sure just yet and he pointed me in the direction of the lobby. You go down an escalator and walk through the courtyard until you arrive at the lobby which contains a beautiful outrigger canoe. Fortunately no one else was in line as there was only one associate working at the front desk. I asked about the resort fee as I felt I would be paying for things I already receive at no cost (i.e. WiFi). I asked if there was a manager available to speak to and she immediately told me she could waive the fee, but I would have to pay the $16/day to park. I decided that was better than $25/day, but then discovered that locals and other tourists could park in the same lot that we parked in, and they didn't pay anything. She did tell me not to argue with the locals when trying to park! I asked if an upgrade was available and she said she could give me a two category upgrade which was nice - our room had a lanai and overlooked the pool area. She didn't tell me that I could park close to our building - the main parking is on the other side of the hotel. I felt like I had to drag it out of her that there was a parking lot right at our building. As I left the front desk she realized she forgot to let me pick an envelope for a "gift". In my envelope there was a card for an all-you-can drink cup, but no directions on how/where to redeem.

We were able to park right at our building most of the time, which was nice, especially when dealing with luggage. Our room was nice, and was probably recently updated. There was a large safe - nice that I could just put my entire purse in there along with everything else we wanted to lock up. There was a mini-fridge and coffee maker. The bathroom was nice and spacious and two of us could be in there without falling over each other. As others have mentioned, the a/c wasn't the greatest. Housekeeping was hit or miss. The first day they took my towel even though I hung it up, but they did not leave another towel. Turn-down service was only offered one night out of the four we were there. I'm used to Marriott resorts leaving ample towels and then having turn-down in the evenings to freshen things up and replace towels, etc. Most days coffee and toiletries were not replenished. I guess the level of service depended on which housekeeper serviced our room.

The hotel is close to the airport, but I only heard/saw an airplane once, and we spent most everyday at the pool. I did hear/see the occasional helicopter, but it was not disruptive. We rode the shuttle to the airport upon our departure and there is a "side/back" entrance from the hotel, so it took only about two minutes to get to the airport! I believe the shuttle will take you to other nearby locations upon request.

Most days, and evenings, there were local artisans on property selling their wares. I bought some beautiful items at great prices. Made shopping very easy!

The grounds of the resort are absolutely gorgeous! We loved the pool so much we didn't even set foot on the beach. But then again, the beach is not a swimming beach, plus there were volleyball nets set up on the beach, and we were looking for peace and quiet. There is an "island" in the pool and that is where we sat each day as it was a bit more secluded, and we hoped quieter. It was quiet most days, but there was one guest who decided he needed to play his music so loudly that when speaking to the people seated next to him he had to yell. I gave him a "look", but I think that just made him crank it up more. As we left my husband said something to the waitress and she did agree that the music was too loud. Maybe the property should allow their associates to say something to inconsiderate guests like this so that everyone can have an enjoyable experience. Kids would jump from the bridge, despite signs saying no diving. Marriott associates seemed to appear out of nowhere to put a stop to it - we even saw one associate seek out the parents to reinforce the rules. Maybe the property should put up other signs that say no jumping. Our stay was over Labor Day weekend and one day the pool was teeming with local kids and teenagers. I'm not sure, but it seemed that maybe the property allows associates to bring friends and family in to use the facilities. I have no issue with that, but these kids were out of control. They were climbing the walls - there are stone walls that are waterfalls around one part of the pool. Associates did put a stop to it, and had the kids go to the towel hut to determine if they belonged at the hotel as they were not wearing the wristbands that were distributed at the towel hut. They were soon back in the pool and no longer climbing the walls, but chasing each other. It appeared that whoever was "it" was on the island running around looking for their friends. I'm all for kids having fun, but parents need to make sure their kids behave so that others can also enjoy their visit. The pool is huge and there are five or six hot tubs around one side. There is a kiddy pool, with water slide. There are animal fountains spurting water into the pool. In places the pool is in need of repair/cleaning. The towel hut attendants were super friendly - offering either fresh towels or your towel cards back. The property does give you towel cards, which is nothing unusual for a resort of this type.

The property has a program called "linger longer" where you can keep a room (you may have to switch to another) until 1800 for $85, plus tax. I was able to get a late check-out at no charge (until 1300 or 1400), but we gave up our room before check-out and had our luggage held as the property has rooms available to shower and freshen up in before departure. We were given keys for two rooms - one for males and one for females. The associate at the front desk wasn't exactly sure as to the location of the rooms, which I thought a bit odd! The rooms were adequately stocked with towels, shampoo, etc. It was nice to be able to get cleaned up before going to airport! Fortunately no one was using the rooms and we didn't have to wait. If you have your luggage held and have chocolates you may want to see if they can put those bags in a room that is air-conditioned. The baggage room was hot and some of our chocolates melted!

I received a message to stop by the Marriott Vacation Club desk for a welcome package. I knew they would want us to go to the sales presentation, but we had no desire to do that, but I stopped by anyway. I had a nice chat with one of the ladies and she gave me my packet that included a card that had some discounts for restaurants and shopping, both on property as well as off. There was also a coupon for a BOGO drink which we were able to use poolside.

I had to stop at the front desk a couple times and most times there was only one associate working, so that meant there was usually a line. At a resort the size of this property, there should be more than one person at the desk, and at a minimum help should be summoned.

I noticed that there was a random $5 charge by the hotel on my credit card statement when I reviewed it. It was posted two days after I checked out. I called the property to ask what the charge was for. Someone looked it up and said it was for a bottle of water. I told her we didn't take, or even touch, the water in the room. She said she would have someone reverse the charge.

I didn't give the resort "five stars" because of the randomness of housekeeping, service at the front desk, the not-so-great a/c, the after check-out charge, the condition of the pool, and the repeated disruptions of associates having to reprimand kids. I was glad however to see that the property tried to keep things under control! If we return to Kauai we'll stay again, but maybe not over a holiday weekend - Maybe it will be a little quieter!

Room Tip: A room overlooking the pool is nice and from some lanais you can see the ocean/bay.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (405)
Burlington, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Years ago when we went to Kauai we stayed several time at the Coco Palms and it was lovely but it has since closed. Since we love Kauai we wondered where we might stay and since we have used other Marriott locations we chose the Kauai Marriott as our option. Well, we were again very impressed with yet another lovely Marriott location and there are excellent restaurants and great shopping within walking distance along with all the other great hotel amenities like a great place in the hotel for breakfast with all kinds of selection as well as a lovely balcony on which to enjoy both your meal and a great view of the pool and the lovely beach. It will continue to be our choice when we return to Kauai,

Room Tip: Your choice of room depends on your preference of view and you can make that choice when you do your...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Regina, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Ok so the pool and jacuzzis are the main attraction and a rather good one at that. Love the pool. I also like Duke's just up the beach. Kukui's was good, albeit pricey for breakfast. While the rooms are standard, service is standard, the view is okay. The beach is okay, etc. There are really no major downsides to this property and for the dollar value and with the handy location near the airport this is certainly a place one can spend a couple of days... or more.

Now is this equivalent to the Grand Hyatt over in Poipu that I rated 4 as well? Nope, but dollar for dollar it is probably better. There you go short and sweet we were there two nights, 1.5 days and back for dinner at Duke's Barefoot Bar the last night... we ate upstairs on the first night.

I think this one is underrated.

Room Tip: Pool view or partial ocean...
Chandler, Arizona, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

We were vacationing in Kauai and staying in Princeville. Unfortunately my mom had a biking accident 3 days before we were supposed to fly back to AZ. Kauai Outfitters (Harold and Shay) were awesome and hooked us up with Gayle from the Kauai Visitor’s Center who got me in touch with Patty L. from Marriott. (Our timeshare could not accommodate our stay any longer and so glad because the Marriott was 100 times better) We checked out of our Timeshare in Princeville and came to the Marriott in Lihue. My mom was unable to fly after her surgery and we had to stay another week. Patty jumped right in and hooked us up. She was able to accommodate my mom and dad in a room with two beds and a chair so she could sleep sitting or lying down. She also got my husband and me a room with the conjoining door so we were all able to keep my mom comfortable and still able to check on her in either room. I have never met a more personable, caring and friendly person than Patty. She was awesome and would love to let her immediate boss and corporate know what a valuable employee/ person they have working for them. Patty because of you, we will stay and recommend your hotel to everyone and we will see you again soon. Oh and PS the place is gorgeous!!!!! Thanks again!!

Yukon, Oklahoma, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

We booked this resort for our honeymoon and I never gave it a 2nd thought about staying here and once we got there my thinking was OMG at everything we saw! We checked in and walked to the pool and there was my first OMG and then the room, another OMG it just continued over and over! I loved this resort and loved Duke's and loved walking up the street and eating at the restaurants that were up there! I wasn't ready to come home by any means and I WILL return to this hotel without a doubt!! Loved it!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Liz C, Front Office Manager at Kauai Marriott Resort, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
On behalf of the Kauai Marriott Resort and Beach Club, I would like to thank you for choosing our resort for your honeymoon destination! We are very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to share with you the Aloha Spirit we have become so known for. We look forward to welcoming you back to our resort and Kauai!
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Just back from a week in Kauai and sooooo happy the Marriott was able to accommodate us for a day stay at the end of our trip! We had to check out of the timeshare in Princeville at 10 am, but our flight did not leave until 9 pm. We called early at 8 am to check on availability, then checked in at 9 am with an 8 pm check out. The rate was $136 ish including internet access and resort fee. They did not charge use for valet parking since it was just for the day! The room was beautiful with a view of the pool and the beach (tower on the left as you are facing the beach). My 5 year old loved the slide in the kids pool. I would recommend staying here for a longer period as well. I really felt like a savy traveler when it started pouring rain for several hours mid-day. We would have been sad to spend our last day in kauai in the rental car, wet and bored.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at the Marriott for 6 nights on our honeymoon. We loved the resort. It is beautiful. The pool and the adjacent beach are stunning! The grounds and landscaping are gorgeous. We definitely felt like we were on a luxurious resort on a Hawaiian island.

In addition to the beautiful property, the location is a plus. It's close to the airport and minutes away from several of the tours we took ( tubing & kayaking). We were also able to eat at a few different restaurants within walking distance ( JJ's, Dukes and The Feral Pig).

Our room was typical of a Marriott hotel...clean with contemporary decor. Our room wasn't extraordinary, but it was nice. Our one complaint was the air conditioning. Our room was hot on several occasions including the middle of the night. We met another guest at the hotel who had a similar experience with their A/C. That issue does need to be addressed.

Other than that, we had a wonderful experience. I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Kauai.

• Stayed September 2013
Thank you for recently choosing our resort as your vacation destination! In reading your reviews, we are thrilled you enjoyed your stay, the resort and the location. On behalf of the staff and leadership team, we look forward to welcoming you back to our resort! Mahalo!

Been to Kauai Marriott Resort? Share your experiences!