This hotel looks impressive on first view. And in many ways it is- beautiful ocean front location, huge pool, expansive grounds, but, there were lots of glitches. First, as others have said, check-in was not as simple as it usually is. We have been Marriott members for 12 years and Gold members so one of the perks is that, upon check-in you may request an upgrade for your room. Usually a simple process, they just upgrade you! But this staff person says, "Oh, we have a gorgeous, beautiful room for you and it will only cost you an extra $250 per night! It's usually an extra $400 but, you can have it for this price!" I said I couldn't afford that and didn't want it. So, she says she'd look again and then proceeds to offer me another room that will only be another $195 more per night. At that point, I said, "We've been Marriott members for a very long time and usually when I ask for an upgrade they simply give me an upgrade and there are no additional costs." She looks at me disappointed and says she'll look again and then, upgrades me. Why was that so difficult?! Also, one should know there is a mandatory resort fee that is tacked onto your room cost of $25. The perks are free internet, free parking, two mai tais for your entire stay and some discounts for renting or buying items at the pool. Well, we already get free internet as Gold members, we didn't have a car for the first 4 days and two mai tais for your entire stay are hardly worth it, in my opinion!
Every day we got back to our room, the housekeeping was minimal. The breakfast they offer here could break the bank! My 16 yr old son could eat us out of house and home so, after a few days I said we'd go elsewhere and find a reasonably priced place for him to have all the breakfast he wanted. The breakfast buffet is impressive but, also costs $24.95 per person! I'm not a breakfast person so, wasn't about to venture into that cost. We have been to a lot of Marriotts and often breakfast is "complimentary" meaning it is included in the cost of the room.
One upside is, the airport shuttle. It is free and all one needs to do is call as soon as you arrive and have gathered your bags and they're there for you in minutes. Although the hotel is very close to the airport, you don't feel it while you're staying here.
Anyway, it's a pretty place but, be aware of these things that can really throw you!
- Also Known As:
- Marriott Kauai Hotel Lihue
- Marriott Kauai Hotel
- Marriott Kauai Hotel Beach
- Kauai Marriott
- Marriott Kauai
- Marriott Lihue
- Lihue Marriott
- Marriotts Kauai Beach Club
- Kauai Marriott Resort HI
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Known for its warm island hospitality and idyllic location on the Garden Isle, the Kauai Marriott Resort on Kalapaki Beach underwent a $50 million upgrade, with major enhancements to all its guestrooms, suites, restaurants and pool deck. Unique among hotels in Kauai, our resort sits on Kalapaki Bay and offers a wide variety of recreational activities, a superior beach experience and 18 holes of Jack Nicklaus championship golf at the adjacent Kauai Lagoons Golf Club. Business travelers will enjoy our 5 Star Hotel's 20,230 sq ft of flexible meeting and event space in Kauai. Guests traveling for pleasure will enjoy one of the largest family-friendly pools in Hawaii and our spacious 5 star hotel rooms, most of which offer spectacular views and feature a balcony. Pamper yourself with a luxurious spa treatment at our hotel's on-site Alexander Spa and Salon. Discover a leader in style and service among Kauai hotels and resorts and enjoy breathtaking beachfront views at the Kauai Marriott Resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Marriott, Booking.com, Travelocity, Tingo, Hotels.com, Otel, Agoda and Venere so you can book your Kauai Marriott Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.