We stayed here in mid April of this year and had a really nice time.
This was our first time to Kauai and we knew going in that the island was not the same as say Maui in terms of things to do. We also knew that the hotel was near the airport and in Lihue, which is kind of in the east southeast corner of the island. I mention this because we witnessed a number of guests arriving and telling the front desk that "this is not what I wanted". The new and affluent area is in Princeville, 30 miles (and a1+ hour drive) away.
The resort itself is older, first built in the 60s and added on to. This is not necessarily bad but just be aware it's not new. Inside the tower we stayed in, we noticed that some exterior walls creaked when we walked to our room and had visible cracks; but what do you want for a building that's survived 40+ years in that heat and humidity. We had a couple of maintenance issues with our room, like the sliding glass door that took the 2 of us to push open but nothing insurmountable. Our only regret was that we did not book a room with a kitchenette as we eventually tired of eating out all the time.
We had a rental car, which you definitely need if you want to venture out on your own; just be aware that parking can get tight as it seems to be shared with locals who have local beach access.
The pool in the middle was phenomenal!!! Loved it!
We also had great meals at the pool bar and at Dukes, on the property. There are other good shops and restaurants within walking distance (see my other reviews).
Overall, if you're ok with dialing back I'd say give it a try. The staff were all very friendly and helpful and we came back rested and tanned.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Known for its warm island hospitality and idyllic location on the Garden Isle, the Kauai Marriott Resort on Kalapaki Beach underwent a $50 million upgrade, with major enhancements to all its guestrooms, suites, restaurants and pool deck. Unique among hotels in Kauai, our resort sits on Kalapaki Bay and offers a wide variety of recreational activities, a superior beach experience and 18 holes of Jack Nicklaus championship golf at the adjacent Kauai Lagoons Golf Club. Business travelers will enjoy our 5 Star Hotel's 20,230 sq ft of flexible meeting and event space in Kauai. Guests traveling for pleasure will enjoy one of the largest family-friendly pools in Hawaii and our spacious 5 star hotel rooms, most of which offer spectacular views and feature a balcony. Pamper yourself with a luxurious spa treatment at our hotel's on-site Alexander Spa and Salon. Discover a leader in style and service among Kauai hotels and resorts and enjoy breathtaking beachfront views at the Kauai Marriott Resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Booking.com, Marriott, Tingo, Hotels.com, Otel, BookingOdigeoWL, Travelocity, Venere and Priceline so you can book your Kauai Marriott Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Marriott Kauai Hotel Lihue
- Marriott Kauai Hotel Beach
- Marriott Lihue
- Lihue Marriott
- Marriotts Kauai Beach Club
- Kauai Marriott Resort HI