This place was so close.
Background - platinum elite with Marriott. Booked 7 days paid 1 BR ocean view suite (w kitchenette and Murphy). + another 3 nights on points (ocean view room).
Arrived w my fam (wife 4yrold and 5 month old). Was placed in suite 450 in the NouNou tower. Avoid. Shoot for something in the 530's or 540's range (closer to ocean). While the room is relatively clean and serviceable - the 'ocean view' was severely obstructed by the roof of the restaurant. Despite my daily requests to the front desk and room coordinator for a higher floor and / actual room with a view - no dice. Front desk just smiled back at me. I also requested to stay in the same category room for the points part of my stay. No dice. On day 7 - moved to a single kingbed room (no kitchenette). For a whole week they said 'we'll see what they can do'. Only to realize that b/c the property is partial timeshare - any of the same category units I was in has a 10 day cancellation policy. So when they said they'd see what they could do on day one of a seven day stay - there was really no option to move from the outset. Dont waste my time with false promises.
There were positives - the kids pool and slide was a big hit w the 4yr old. Kalapaki beach was fantastic! Didn't notice the plane noise ( but the helicopters were annoying ). The grounds were really nice.
Other negatives - overpriced. $12 drinks! Could use a few more bbq's too! 3 ain't gonna suffice. Lots of activities for the kids - but each comes at a price - slightlyore tha what I would value them at.
I stay for business at marriotts all the time - it's just me and I'm flexible, if the room is tiny or backs on to train tracks - I can take it.
But this stay is different, if matters. It's my one time to show my family why all the wok travel is worth it. Pay back for time away from my wife and kids. We flew 6+ hrs to get here. It's a tropical paradise. It's a big deal to my family. But none of that mattered to the Marriott. It's just another day, and another customer.
So suffice to say - I really don't see any benefit to continue to stay with marriott - as platinum equates to nothing.
Moving back to SPG. thanks but no thanks marriott.
In fact - Net net - I would have preferred a vacation house rental - at least you know what you're getting. And with small children - that really matters.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Known for its warm island hospitality and idyllic location on the Garden Isle, the Kauai Marriott Resort on Kalapaki Beach underwent a $50 million upgrade, with major enhancements to all its guestrooms, suites, restaurants and pool deck. Unique among hotels in Kauai, our resort sits on Kalapaki Bay and offers a wide variety of recreational activities, a superior beach experience and 18 holes of Jack Nicklaus championship golf at the adjacent Kauai Lagoons Golf Club. Business travelers will enjoy our 5 Star Hotel's 20,230 sq ft of flexible meeting and event space in Kauai. Guests traveling for pleasure will enjoy one of the largest family-friendly pools in Hawaii and our spacious 5 star hotel rooms, most of which offer spectacular views and feature a balcony. Pamper yourself with a luxurious spa treatment at our hotel's on-site Alexander Spa and Salon. Discover a leader in style and service among Kauai hotels and resorts and enjoy breathtaking beachfront views at the Kauai Marriott Resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Marriott, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Kauai Marriott Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Marriott Kauai Hotel Lihue
- Marriott Kauai Hotel Beach
- Marriott Lihue
- Lihue Marriott
- Marriotts Kauai Beach Club
- Kauai Marriott Resort HI