“Won't enforce their No-Smoking Policy” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Up To 25,000 Points
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Lihue
Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
“Won't enforce their No-Smoking Policy”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

I booked my stay at the Kauai Marriott Resort over 6 months ago and paid extra for an Ocean View room. The view is great, but I can't seem to use my lanai (balcony) or keep my door open because the couple directly beneath me insists on smoking. I have called the front desk 4 times and personally gone to the front desk twice to ask if the manager will enforce the resort's No-Smoking Policy. After one of my trips to the front desk I was told "we'll send Security up immediately"...I went to the pool area to wait for security to go to their room...waited for 15 minutes only to watch them continue smoking on their lanai, but there was no sign of Security or any attempt to contact them or request they cease smoking. Other times we've waited and waited for someone from Marriott to take "some" action...but after 6 full days here and 6 attempts, I'm afraid Marriott just doesn't want to follow or enforce their own policy at this property. I'm so VERY disappointed in Marriott...though this is a beautiful property and would otherwise have been a great place to vacation, I wouldn't recommend coming here if you expect the No-Smoking Policy to be enforced. This really put a huge damper on our week in Kauai...

Room Tip: Try to find a room away from ALL smokers...don't expect Marriott to enforce their policy.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (405)
New Jersy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

This resort is fantastic. On the ocean with a great garden and fantastic service. It is a bit pricey but if you take a Hawaii vacation this is the place you want to stay. It is one of the best places to stay in Kauai.

Room Tip: Take a pool view which also verlooks the ocean for the best experience
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

I booked this property since I thought I was going to come up short in hitting my Platinum status but what is disappointing is I did not need it and after being here for the first two nights I can only say that even if I needed this reservation to achieve it I would book elsewhere!

The hotel is no beauty! Its concrete maze if buildings could be anywhere in the US and nothing uniquely Hawaiian. The rooms themselves are nothing special great as a business room but lacking for a nice holiday. The pool is big but there are big pools in Las Vegas with better service and food. The bay with cruise ships parked 200 yards away is not appealing and the location next to the airport buzzing with helicopters and the regular plane service is not peaceful.

The restaurants have average quality food (at best) and the service is mediocre to poor. They are friendly enough but when they make two mistakes on a five line order you have to question their skills. It is Hawaii so it is expensive.

This is a middle of the road lower-middle class oriented Hawaiian resort. If you are looking for more than this I would suggest the Hyatt (where I have stayed) or Princevillle (where I should have stayed). Lesson learned, do not come here just for the points, the upgrade (not worth it), the Platinum Benefits (there are none) or the property for its beauty and service it is disappointing.

Room Tip: You want an Ocean View room if possible.
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

First of all, I must admit that I thought Hawaian islands were just nice beaches in the Pacific and I used to think why would I fly 15 hours to get there when I have perfectly nice beaches in the Caribean! Well, I was dead wrong!

We we went to Hawaii (first time ever) from November 17th to December 1st. First week to Kauai and secod week to Oahu. In Kauai we stayed at the Marriot Kalapaki Beach.

This resort is quite dated, but it is beautiful!

Let's start with the bad things before i get to the good stuff:
- The rooms are quite small
- the sofa bed is very old, and very uncomfortable (it was a party of four so one stayed in the king bed and the other in the sofa bed...)
- the overnight staff is not very kind/friendly
- The elevators are very old and look very unreliable

Now the good stuff:
- The resort has a small beach at the back, but I would strongly recommend to use that beach only after a day of activities, or if you are way to tired to drive to any of the other incredible beaches around the island.
- close to really good restaurants. Getting out as if you were going to the little beach at the back, you'll see a couple of nice restaurants: Duke's and Cafe Portofino. We only visit Duke's and it was very good. There you can eat or get a couple of drinks. Now, for something a bit better and less expensive, you have to cross the street to the harbour mall. There YOU MUST GO TO THE Mariachi's Mexican food restaurant. I know. It doesn't sound right (Mexican in Hawaii) but trust me, you won't regret it! This is unexpensive great food! Also visit Kalapaki Joe's (NA food). Another must go is the Tip Top cafe; here you should try the oxtail traditional soup (awesome!!). For breakfasts you should try Dani's. this place serves really good breakfsts and is quite unexpensive. Ask for all these places at the hotel lobby. They know and recomend them. There is another place that is highly recommended, but We went only once because the 'highly-recommended' soups were actually not that great, but you can go and judge for yourself: Hamura Saimin. Finally you have to go to the hotel's pool restaurant (ask at the lobby) and try the king crab buffet... You won't think it is expensive after you are done!
- very friendly staff
- great gym (trust me, with the time zone change you'll need it!)
- Beautiful lagoon inside
- amazing view from our room (try to get beach front)

Now, these are the beaches you should visit:
- the Polihale park (west of the Island). This beach is an hour away, but it is by far the best we found. Not too many people, and it so beautiful you wont beleive it! The only bad thing, every now and then some stupid people get in with big trucks into the beach, but other than that, this beach is amazing!
- Waimea, at the south of the island. Not very large, but very beautiful.
- Poipu, South east of the Island. Go to this beach only if you want to do some snorkeling. Avoid this place if you are looking for long sand beaches without too many people.
- north side beaches. We didn't visit these as often, but they were also great.

Activities:
- Helicopter ride. Ok, I cannot stress enough how important this is. YOU HAVE TO DO THE HELICOPTER TOUR!! You can thank me later. The ride was Amazing! This is the only way to understand the beauty of the Waimea canyon and the Napali coast. We used the blue star company and it was great.
- Boat tour to the Napali coast. This tour was amazing! We did snorkeling for an hour, then in our way to the Napali coast, we saw dolphins, two whales (even though it wasn't whales season!!) and flying fish (yeah, flying fish!!!!!). But, the most incredible thing was the cliffs at the Napali coast... That is heavenly! We did the tour with Blue Dolphin tours.
- kayak and rappelling. We were recommended to do this one by the activities person at the hotel's lobby, and we are for ever thankful! The guys running this tour just started including the rappelling piece, and it was awesome! You go kayaking for an hour (very slow, not physically demanding) up river, then walk for 20 minutes till you get to a water fall where you do the rappelling. Then they give you a ride back to the hotel. The place that sells these tours are located just below the Cafe Portofino at the Marriot resort. I think these are the kalapaki beach boys.
- The Smith's family Luau. We went to this Luau and it was great! Open bar, Incredible food, and the show was amazing! The only downside was that there is too many people! But if you are ok with that, you will enjoy it 100%

Enjoy your trip!

Room Tip: Choose beach front, and avoid rooms with sofa beds.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Bridgewater, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

Beautifully landscaped grounds. The pool & jacuzzi's were very beautiful! Excellent location on Kalapaki Beach and near restaurants. Nice and quiet area. Drove north to Princeville and liked Lihue just as much. I had a nice bottom floor room so I could walk out the back sliding glass door. I loved that. It was like being in a condo.

Room Tip: I loved having a bottom floor room to be able to walk right out the back door without walking throug...
Redlands, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Just returned from a 5 night stay at the Marriott Kauai Resort and had a fantastic time. We are a family traveling with our 11 year old daughter and it was her first trip to Hawaii. The location was great for touring to either side of the island. We drove to Poipu and Hanalei and different days. Although it is close to the airport, we only occasionally heard noise, and only when sitting outside around 8 or 9 am when helicopters where taking off, we never heard any of the larger planes taking off or landing.
Our room was a standard room with a king size bed and a pull out sofa, we had reserved a garden view and we were upgraded to a pool view which also had a view of the bay. I can't image that there is a bad view in the place, even the garden view rooms looked like they had a nice view as all the rooms face the pool area. The room itself had nice furnishings and a large flat screen tv, although we were hardly ever in our room, it was quite comfortable. There was also a small refrigerator. The pool area was gorgeous, however, the pool was not heated and way too cold to swim in, this was my only complaint the whole week. I asked why it was not heated and they said that the heater was broken and they were waiting for parts to fix it, I was very disappointed that I couldn't swim, but I did enjoy the jacuzzi. There is a children's pool with a slide, but the slide is fairly small, my daughter said that she hit her feet on the bottom of the pool because it is very shallow, not for older kids.
We ate at Kuiki's and Duke's and both were very good.
The staff at this hotel were wonderful. Kudos to the concierge Chris who helped us plan a tubing trip. Everyone at the front desk also very helpful. My daughter did some activities at the kid's center and the staff there was also very friendly and helpful. Also, the staff at Kuiki's made us feel like we were family at breakfast.
Don't miss the daily feeding of the Koi!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

I really enjoyed the Marriot Kauai Beach Resort. We had a pool view, which included a view of the beach and waves(bonus). I had requested a room in close proximity to my 70 year old dad, and we were right next door, with a connector door we could open as we wished. It is true, that you are on a resort, and it is kind of secluded. Drinks and food were not cheap, but I found the quality to be some of the better of what we had on the island--the sundry shop also sells beer/alcohol on property at a significant price reduction. Pool is really amazing, kids pool was lovely, and I didn't get chewed out for being 30( years old going down the waterslide(Fairmount resorts will not tolerate such fun and games). I liked that there were other guests there in wheelchairs/walkers that appeared to be moving around comfortably--the pool had a disabled person lift, which I think gives a sense that all are welcome. Staff were all professional and helpful. I found the rooster flocks to be charming. The room may have been a little overpriced, but I feel it is appropriately priced as I have definitely paid a lot more for less. Room was clean, nicely furnished, cozy bed. Other reviewers had been upset over the locals at the pool/beach--I, in fact, liked that we were at a place where the locals would like to be, and all interactions were very positive. I also liked that I saw staff checking water purification levels. The planes were not bothersome--we were in on the last flight at 1030 pm, and honestly had to focus on the planes to notice them. I liked that we could see the cruise ships coming and going. Complaints? I'm having a hard time coming up with any... I would definitely go back--you could do a lot worse.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Kauai Marriott Resort? Share your experiences!