“good sandwiches in nice atmosphere” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #32 of 98 Restaurants in Lihue
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch
Middlesex, New Jersey
“good sandwiches in nice atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

tasty menu, in a cute shop. Customer service is good, yet slow. Has a lot on menu to please all palates!

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Great lobsta roll”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012 via mobile

Yes, as often mentioned, the service is very strange here, not friendly, borders on impatient. But we have eaten here several times during each visit and really love the food. Our first experience here was during the tsunami of 2009 and the Deli was the only food place open in the shopping center. We appreciated that they were serving all the displaced tourists albeit making tons of money that day. And the sandwiches and soup were great. That lobsta roll is just as good today as it was a few years ago, delicious toasted roll, real chunks of lobster, melted cheese and sautéed onions and mushrooms. We will continue to eat here because we like the food but if the service improved, our rating would be higher.

Pleasant Hill, California, United States
“Customer service stinks almost as bad as the food”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

Worst part of my vacation so far. This place obviously only caters to locals and not visitors. I walked in to the delicious smell of baking bread. Yum! My expectations rose as I saw the 20+ Best of Kaua'i type framed awards. There wasn't even a line! I was so excited as I made my way to the counter.

There were four employees behind the counter and one ( after finishing her conversation with another) begrudgingly made her way to the register/ order counter. Her attitude stunk and was basically "yeah, whaddaya want?".

I ordered a turkey club (no ham, please) on a soft roll with "everything" just to keep it easy for them (they seemed annoyed for some reason)

I also got a canned soda and a chocolate milk. $10.50 .

I waited in the shop while two other families ate. The four "employees" laughed and joked and seemed to have a good time behind the counter. A line soon formed.

About 5 minutes later I got my sandwich after they called my name. The girl kind of giggled as she gave me the bag.

When I got back to my car and halfway home to Princeville I realized they had given me a turkey club on toasted sliced whole wheat ( not the soft roll I ordered). And it was slathered in this kecthupy sauce. I couldn't tast anything but ketchup. I can't believe I had such high expectations of Deli and Bread Connection and their snotty, rude, disrespectful employees served me a ketchup sandwich on dry bread for 10 bucks. Way to get repeat customers.

I threw my sandwich in the trash along with all respect for this place. Management: get your "employees" in check...they are screwing over visitors. Lame.

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Atlanta
“Good Food at a Reasonable Price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

Nothing is inexpensive in Kauai, but the sandwiches and soups here were reasonably priced and quite tasty. There were a lot of locals dining here as well, which is always a good sign...

Visited June 2012
Lihue, Hawaii
“sad,should have been offered a discount, at least!!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

the food here is not the problem,as I've eaten here before and enjoyed it.My problem is the service i got here on 5/20/12. I and my daughter came in for a late lunch,she put in our order for two sandwiches and two clam chowders.We sat and waited for 35 minutes,while watching other people who came in after us,order food and get it before we got ours.After the fifth person i was saying to my daughter what's going on here? I told her to go and check on our order and when she did the filipino girl at the register had a blank look on her face and said "not ready yet" so we waited again,until i finally was over it and asked why we don't have our food yet,everyone looked puzzled.Then one person said ,because my sand was toasted is why it takes longer, "really" wow!Then we found out they forgot our order this is sad sad sad!

• Visited May 2012