“A Great Experience” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 9 hotels in Lihue
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“A Great Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

I just spent 4 nights at the Garden Island Inn earlier this month and it was a great experience. First the staff were great. All were friendly and helpful, but I'd like to give a special shout out to Germaine for her help during the check-in process as well as all the tips she gave me during my stay. Also, a special thanks to the property handyman/maintenance guy for lending me a tool to help me fix my camera tripod (which was essential for my trip being a photographer) and letting me keep it for the day.

As for the property... the location was absolutely perfect for me. Close to places to eat, buy goods, etc.... Not to mention really close to my car rental place (I used Enterprise) and the airport. Parking was sufficient too during my stay. Never had a problem finding a spot. Oh and of course there's Kalapaki Beach right across the street too! It was fun watching the sunrise there. My room was simple, neat, and clean. Love the decor too, felt perfect for an island hotel.

All in all I had an excellent experience and will absolutely stay there next time I visit Kaua'i.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

360 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Washington DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

Stay away from the resorts....go local, it's paradise after all. Why do you need a resort? ($$$$).

Great central location. We started our 12 day trip here were we launched all of our South/West Side adventures. Wameia Canyon, Na-Pali catamaran Tour, Coffee plantation, Poipu Beach, Old Hanapepe Town. Local 9 hole golf course (A GEM!).

Rooms are clean, staff was great. Free beach chairs/towels at the front desk. Inexpensive and lovely. Perfect stay. Best place to start or end a stay on the island IMO.

As you drift into sleep listening to the waterfall in the back yard which connects to the coolest Koi pond(s) I have ever seen.

Room Tip: 2nd/3rd floor rooms are best.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

Beautiful place that made my week on Kauai island perfect: excellent super-friendly and helpful staff, great information leaflet where to find what on the island (laundries, malls) plus hint for events like farmer's markets or art night in Hanapepe... nice extras included like morning coffee/cookies and energy bars in the office, beach towels, chairs and snorkeling gear, books and DVD's, cooler boxes for the day trip or beach, spacious parking lot...beautifully arranged property with tropical garden full of flowers, orange trees, fish pond, excellent location for facilities in 5 min walking distance like beach, shopping- and dining places and also very good location for island day trips, boutique hotel itself very well maintained, fantastic room ( I guess I booked the best room, no# 21, 3rd floor with wrap around balcony and view onto the bay/beach for 5 nights), rooms are decorated quite tastefully with a very personal touch, , kitchen equipped with coffee machine, blender for fruit batidas, fridge, microwave, everything impeccably clean... all in all it felt like family and added 100% comfort and good vibe to the beautiful island of Kauai. I visited 4 islands in 4 weeks and it was so far the best place I stayed at! would recommend this place without hesitation and would always go there when travelling to Kauai!!! applause to the owners and great staff and I hope you will keep that fantastic concept of how to manage this gem!!!

Room Tip: as I mentioned in my comment I probably took the best room: no #21, spacious, nicely decorated and w...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

What an amazing place! Great location, walk to shopping, dining and beach plus an easy drive to explore the island. Staff is very friendly and helpful. Rooms were very clean and comfortable. The hotel even provided beach towels, chairs, snorkel gear, boogie boards and pretty much anything else you need. This was a huge plus and saved us money from having to rent gear. Very kid/family friendly they had a pack'n'play set up for us when we arrived and have been very accomodating to our kids. We love kalapaki beach and the nearby restaurants. We felt the hotel was more like our home. Beautiful scenery and artwork. I would highly reccomend this place and we will definitley return.

• Stayed November 2013
Alberta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

We had a long travel day with a late arrival and did not want to drive to the resort that night. Our room key was taped to the door with a welcoming letter. The room was right next to the office, very noisy in the morning with people coming and going, quite small and oddly shaped. It did the trick for the night. We walked over to Duke's for a snack that evening and to Kalapaki Beach Hut for breakfast the next morning. It wouldn't be the place for me to stay for more than I night, but if you are on a budget, and in a bigger room, I could see the appeal.

Red Deer, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

What a fantastic place and people. We enjoyed our stay at Garden Island Inn way more than at the larger hotels on the other islands. We felt comfortable and at home, our room was beautiful and spacious and everyone there was so helpful and friendly. And it is wonderfully situated to enjoy not only the beach and shopping, but to get familiar with some of the local people too. Too bad we had to leave.

Lawrence, KS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

We rented a house for a week on the north shore but we didn't want to drive up there after a very long day of flights and not getting in until well after dark. The Garden Island was perfect for our purposes of a one-night place to crash. It is an easy five-minute drive from the airport even in the dark. We got the cheapest room they had. It was small and on the bottom floor but we loved it. What could have been sort of an odd, old and small motel room was transformed by the art, painting and landscaping outside into something delightfully quirky . The room air conditioner masked any noise and the bed was great. The room was clean.

Because our internal clocks hadn't yet changed we were awake before dawn. We were hungry but needed to wait until the recommended breakfast place (Kalapaki Beach Hut, great too) opened at 6:30. We made cups of coffee in our room and walked across the street to sit by the water and watch the sunrise. A great start to our trip.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Garden Island Inn? Share your experiences!