“Best Hotel on Kauai” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Lihue
Plano, Texas
“Best Hotel on Kauai”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

I just returned home from a 20 day vacation in Kauai. I decided to stay at the Garden Island Inn because of location but once I was there was was so thankful I had chosen this over the other resort type property. This place is so convenient, clean and the rooms are large and quiet. The ability to purchase groceries and have a place to cook and keep drinks cold is a huge convenience. They have movies, beach chairs, beach towels, snorkel equipments, surf boards for you to use and they are all FREE! The grounds are fresh and clean, and the staff is incredible. Germaine knows the island and was my tour guide every day. She recommended great restaurants and knew where to go each day to avoid crowds and save money on tours and sight seeing adventures. I visited the Marriott, the Hyatt, the Sheraton, and the St. Regis and was very glad I was at a place where a personal investment was made by the staff to ensure I was happy every day. This place offers so much more than those resort rooms with beds and a view. I had a huge balcony with a table and lounge chairs on it, a remote control air conditioner in the room and fresh flowers awaiting every day. I will return to Kauai next summer and will not consider any other place!

Room Tip: Ask for Germaine when you call. She is exceptional!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

...to tell them how happy I was with my room! I was so excited, I really couldn't keep it to myself.

When I booked my 3 night stay at the Garden Island Inn, I didn't realize that for the low price I was paying, I would be getting 2 bedrooms, 2 baths, a full and fully-equipped kitchen, and 3 balconies, all with ocean views. It just didn't sink in that someone would offer that much room for such a reasonable price. In terms of value alone, this is a must-stay.

And there's more! If you are fortunate enough to be greeted at the front desk by Germaine, then you will know what I mean when I say that she is absolutely world-class. She is fun, friendly, and so welcoming... the perfect introduction to a relaxing stay on Kauai. Every hotel should have a Germaine, and it will bother me from here on out that they don't (thanks for ruining hotels for me, Germaine : )).

Another nice feature is that they are a one-stop shop for everything you will need during your stay, and you can't beat the price (FREE!!). They offer snorkeling gear, boogie boards, beach towels, sand castle stuff for the kids, a nice selection of DVDs, tennis gear, etc., all right there at the front desk for no extra charge. How convenient is that? And the most convenient thing of all was Germaine's hand-annotated map of the island which my friend and I used almost exclusively to plan our activities. So handy!

I've rated the Garden Island Inn as "Excellent". But be advised, this is not a 5-star property or anything like that. Make sure your expectations are realistic- the condos are spacious, but they're also getting old and it shows. The beach is a bit of a hike. Your view of the harbor is partially blocked by a big factory. None of these things bothered me at all, hence the Excellent rating, but just be aware that while the Garden Island Inn is quaint, friendly, and a great value, it's not perfect and you shouldn't expect it to be.

Cheers, and Safe Travels!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

We just returned from our seventh trip to Kauai, and like all the others, it was enhanced by our stay at the Garden Island Inn. From the fresh flowers in our room on arrival to the friendliness of the staff to the complimentary popcorn and granola bars this old friend pays attention to details. Don't underestimate the value of the in room fridges and microwaves. And especially don't under estimate the beach stuff they have for loan. If you want to sit at a resort and veg out a the pool all day, this is not the place for you. But if you want to explore the beaches, rain forests, trails, restaurants, rivers, and waterfalls that define Kauai, you won't find a better place. It's a great value with a superb location (near shopping and dining and midway between the beauty of the North Shore beaches and rain forests and the South Shore's Waimea Canyon). There is some road noise, but that is eliminated with the air conditioning or acceptable as a trade off for the Hawaiian breezes. Consider what you really want on a visit to the Garden Isle, and you'll find this hard to beat.

Room Tip: Third floor rooms have better views of sunrises and sunsets.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Downers Grove, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

We stayed here in May, '12 for 2 nights at the end of a 50th anniversary trip to Oahu and Kauai. We wanted to be near the airport for our trip back home. It was just lovely, with gorgeous flowers everywhere and a waterfall by the walkway. We stayed on the 2nd floor and had a small balcony on which to have breakfast. We had originally booked for the ground floor, but then decided we really wanted a balcony and more of a view, and the staff was so nice and found us this room. It was lovely and clean and comfy and had everything a traveller needs. It's also about a half an hour to the beaches at Poipu on the south coast of Kauai where the snorkeling was awesome. I would say you need a car to explore the island on your own. We had a late departure (around 9:00 p.m.) and we asked if we could leave our luggage and wash up somewhere. The staff person suggested we could stay in our room until evening for less than half of the room rate. That was a great help to us. We will definitely return here.

Brisbane
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

Excellent accommodation for the price. Short walk to the beach, shops eateries etc. The staff here are wonderful. They also manage 2 x 2 bedroom condos in the complex adjacent which we found ideal for our group. If you have a choice take the corner condo for the breeze. The only downer,and this was throughout Hawaii, is that the airconditioning in all of the condos and hotels that we stayed was out dated and lacking in performance. The wonderful staff at Garden Island more than made up for this and I will certainly stay there again when we next visit.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Graz, Austria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

Highly reccomended.

- Great location: Close to good eats at Kalapaki Beach, especially the Kalapaki Beach Hut is great. It's also close to the airport.
- Friendly staff: Ask them anything, they will help you.
- Clean room
- Free Wifi
- They even have boogie boards, beach towels and so one you can borrow for free. That was great for us because we didn't bring our own boogie boards the whole way from Europe.
- Aloha spirit ;-)

I would definitely stay there again.

Ferndale, Washington, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

We had the luxury of staying 14 days. Upon arriving we met Germaine. Germaine was born bred and raised right here on Kauai. She was extremely friendly. She helped us almost daily, her advice was very authentic. The hotel grounds are very lush with tropical foilage everywhere with a large koi fish pond. Our room was very clean and the service was top notch. The ammenities here were great. No parking fees, snorkel gear, boogie boards, tennis rackets, beach mats, towels, coolers, you name it, they have it. Best of all, it is all included in the very reasonable rack rate. Location, location, location. Airport is a 5 minute drive. Half way between Hanalei and Waimea. Costco and Walmart just right up the road. Great restaurants just a nice walk accross the street. Our experience here is a no brainer where we will stay again on Kauai. The Garen Island Inn made our vacation one to remember for a lifetime. Thank you to all of the staff. Joyce, Jan, Germaine, Wayne, and Steve know the meaning of true Aloha!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Garden Island Inn? Share your experiences!