“Great place and location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kauai Banyan Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lawai
Kauai Banyan Inn
You added Kauai Banyan Inn to your Saves list
3528 B Mana Hema Place, Lawai, Kauai, HI 96765   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Lawai B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Chicago, Illinois
“Great place and location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

We enjoyed staying off the noisy tourist path and found the Nani Loa suite to be beautiful. We loved the location as it was close to many things on the south and east side. The bed, linens, and pillows were all comfortable. The small kitchen was great to have when we didn't feel like eating out or had leftovers in the fridge. Lorna provided many amenities that we didn't have to pack and went out of her way to ensure we had a pleasant stay. There were guidebooks, paperbacks, and DVDs readily available. While we did hear our neighbors voices once in a while, they were subdued and didn't interfere with our enjoying listening to the birds. It was a quiet place to stay and there wasn't any neighbor noise after 10pm. I would stay there again if I ever get the pleasure of returning to the beautiful island of Kauai.

Green Features: The inn has solar panels which heat the hot water and it is always in ample supply.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

When I showed people pictures of this place they looked at me and said "but how did you afford that?! It looks incredible!" It was. It was that incredible. When I found Kauai Banyan Inn on tripadvisor there was no way I was staying anywhere else. I wanted a B&B feel with a good location and beautiful views and a awaiian quilt wouldn't go astray. I got so much more than that.
I have to do this in bullet points to avoid going on and on.
- Lorna is a wonderful host.
- I could do my washing at a proper washing machine. Amazing.
- The items that you can borrow from the Inn really made the trip. The system of being able to borrow a beach towel and return it at the end of the day and have fresh beach towels every day was perfect. I also borrowed reef shoes, mats for the beach, snorkels, flippers, beach chairs - it is like being a kid in a candy store!! To not have to cart this sort of thing in luggage or pay a fortune when you arrive is invaluable.
- The view from our room (Ulu suite) was breathtaking. The room was private and so beautifully appointed.

In terms of location, it is very good as you have to have a car in Kauai and yet you're so far out of the way without being too far away from what you want to get to. I was always able to find somewhere to eat and it is close to a "Big Save" (grocery store) which was great given there was a kitchen we could use.

My experience here was really great. I doubt anyone could be disappointed with Kauai Banyan Inn. Kauai is so beautiful it's hard to find fault in anything but this place was the icing on the big beautiful cake.

Room Tip: I am sure all the rooms are amazing but the Ulu suite stole my heart!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Elmhurst, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

I have been to Kauai 7 times...I have stayed at big resorts, B and B's, and a couple of places off the beaten track. The Kauai Banyan Inn was one the best places I have ever stayed. The owner, Lorna, is available if needed, but gives you privacy. She had some wonderful treats for us waiting in the suite- which was so appreciated since our luggage did not arrive until the day after we did. She provided toiletries and breakfast food and lovely robes so that we were able to shower and enjoy breakfast on the deck in the comfy robes instead of putting back on our dirty travel clothes. She also provides beach towels, small coolers, snorkeling equipment and boogie boards. The hot tub was only used by us when we were there. The suite was immaculate, and the linens and beds very nice as well. I loved the location of the Inn... added to a real Hawaiian experience surrounded by nature, and the crows of the roosters that you don't get at the big resorts :) We used the Inn as our home base when on the south shore..it was convenient enough for day trips from Poipu to Polihale! On my next trip back to Kauai, I will definitely book the Ali'i suite again....so Lorna, please make sure you have it available for Tom and I.

Room Tip: If you want the big resort amenities this is not the place for you. If you want convenience as far a...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Kapolei, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

My wife found this place for me as I was driving around Kauai "lost" and there to supervise a construction project. It was like 3am for my wife and late on Kauai. When Laurna heard of my situation, she got my number from my wife and took over. I arrived and went straight to bed (they were not concerned about payment until I was refreshed)! This family took me fishing on my 3rd day
(a Saturday) to welcome me to the island. (Something that would cost you $700.00 and up if booked by a guide)!!!
This is the sweetest family I have ever had the pleasure to meet in my travels. The rooms are "5 star" as well as service! And for the person that posted about hearing his neighbors in the morning... (He/She would have to want to hear to be able to). The privacy is the best you'll find. Safe, Secure, Family Feel, and I don't write reports or blogs. I don't even do facebook. So for me to take time to say something, PLEASE believe me when I tell you to book this place.
I lived in Kaloa on the beach in a beautiful house once I got settled into the project I was running. I still took my wife back on our anniversary night...
Thank you Laurna... You are a saint, and have a great family. And your taste in decor rivals 5 star resorts...

• Stayed March 2013
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here the last 3 nights of our 10 night vacation and it was by far the best place we stayed. The pros included: cleanliness, courtesy, attention to detail and a very knowledgable hostess.

The cottage was located to the side of the house down a stairway which provided a secluded peaceful location. Inside the cottage there was breakfast food which included things like eggs and fruit as the breakfast was not made for and there was a kitchen in the unit as well as a barbecue outside. With that being said, my boyfriend and I were both relieved to cook our own meals and get away from eating out for every meal. Additionally, everything inside the cottage was so well thought out from the dishes and accessories provided to the bug spray and robes. We were able to be entirely self dependent as if it were a home away from home. On that same note, whenever necessary the hostess Lorna was quick to help accommodate any of our needs.

I would highly recommend this location to travelers that are looking for that romantic getaway experience without all of the hassles.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
chicago illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

This bed and breakfast is not on the water, no ocean view, but is blessed with enough amenities and charm to make that a non-issue. The mountain view from our unit was gorgeous and we saw plenty of water on our vacation! Spacious, attractive, with fully equipped kitchenette--it had everything we needed. We appreciated the flexibility of the"do it yourself" breakfast with plentiful and varied foods provided. The owner was so helpful and knowledgeable re: activities, restaurants, etc. The location is convenient, private. The only minus was I just wish the water had been a bit hotter.

Stayed January 2014
nanikauai, Owner at Kauai Banyan Inn, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Aloha Reesie 42

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I am so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay.

I have been slow in sending out my responses to guests reviews due to the fact that I have had some eye problems limiting my use of the computer. I do hope to respond to all my "reviews" as fast as I am able to respond to yours.

It is always so helpful to hear what guests have to say.

I am gald you enjoyed your stay even though you did not have an ocean view. However, the Ali'i, Ulu, Nani Loa and Pueo do. These units usually book fairly fast as both the Ali'i and the Ulu have frontal distant ocean views and the Nani Loa and Pueo view the ocean at a distance from their porches.

Perhaps when you return you can get that ocean view.

I also noted you wished the water was hotter. I am-not sure if you meant in the ocean or in the unit? I can't do anything about heating up the ocean. However I can explain that Kauai Banyan's water is heated by 2 very large solar heaters mounted on the roof. If the day is overcast and the water is not heated to a certain degree the electricity will turn on and heat the large units. If you have 6 people showering within a short time period the water would need about 15 minutes to reheat to where you would have very hot water. My plumber had to put a temperature valve on the solar units as the sun heats the water so hot you would get burned with out the valve being in place.

When you make another visit to Kauai, mention when booking that you would like that ocean view and hopefully I can accommodate you.

Mahalo

Lorna
Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

My husband and I chose the Cottage for our recent stay in Kauai. While the Banyon Inn was a little tricky to find the first time, we had no problem after that. We really liked the fact that the Banyon Inn is off the beaten path, away from tourists, but close to so many of the things we wanted to do. It's very close to Poipu, and there are so many good restaurants that we didn't have time to go back to any of them again.

The Cottage is set away from the main house, down about 30 steps from the parking area. I mention this in case carrying your luggage up and down stairs is a problem. We loved the privacy and really appreciated the kitchen. We didn't mind not having a breakfast every day, because we like to do our own thing anyway.

The hostess is lovely and helpful and even though she appeared to have a full house while we were there, we felt like we were tucked away in our own little treehouse.

Room Tip: We liked the Cottage, but it is not for people who have difficulty with stairs.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Aloha Tmngr,

I appreciate your review on The Cottage and was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay.

Yes, I agree one would have to have no problem with stairs if booking The Cottage. Going down to The Cottage from the parking area there are 17 steps, a landing then 9 steps, a landing, then 2 steps, a landing then 3 steps and you are there. It does make for great exercise!

I agree with you that is a great place to stay. Certainly different than a hotel room.

Looking forward to having you return to Kauai.

Mahalo,

Lorna

Been to Kauai Banyan Inn? Share your experiences!