“A charming Inn” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kauai Banyan Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lawai
Kauai Banyan Inn
GreenLeadersBronze level
Victoria, Canada
“A charming Inn”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

My husband and I spent 8 nights in the "Milo" and it was just perfect. The Inn is situated in a lush tropical setting with a lovely view. We enjoyed watching and listening to the birds and the roosters! The beds are so cozy you could sleep all day but you don't dare as there is so much to see on this gorgeous island. Our room was just as sweet as it looks on the web site and Lorna (our hostess) was great... friendly and very accomadating. We would highly recommend the Kaui Banyan Inn... a wonderful place to stay and get away from it all! n & j

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Somerville, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Kauai Banyan Inn was very comfortable, well maintained and reasonably priced. The inn is tucked away in the hills away from the road. The room had a nice view, especially at sunrise. The kitchen and use of outdoor grill were a plus. Innkeeper Lorna lives on site. She was very friendly and eager to be helpful. She provided little touches made us feel welcome in ways you are unlikely to find at a big resort costing much more.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Alameda, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We passed two fabulous days at the Kauai Banyan Inn. I had tried to book 3 but Lorna's place is becoming very popular. It is a little off the beaten path, but absolutely worth the drive. We stayed in the "owl" room, which came equipped with everything that you need to make your stay completely comfortable. We got in fairly late at night but found our room ready for us and well stocked with food so that we actually ate in and did not have to go searching for a restaurant late at night. We had a lovely deck on which I watched a beautiful golden sunrise one morning. Our room was really more like a mini-apt. with a fully stocked kitchen. I recommend Lorna's fabulous Inn and I plan on going back as soon as possible.

Room Tip: I'm sure they are all great. Our room was the "owl" room (Hawaiian word for this).
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

What can I say? This was one of the better travel purchases I made. The ali'i suite had panoramic views watching the sunrise in a suite easily double the size of most I've stayed in for half the price. Skip the Poipu madness and stay here only five minutes from the beach plus your access is far easier to the rest of the island. My wife and I will be back. Did I mention that Lorna saved a travel day for us with some simple tips. It's a shame I can't give 6 stars

• Stayed January 2013
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Well appointed, thoughtfully equipped, good value. This stay was memorable in every way. Lorna was a thoughtful hostess making us feel very welcome. Highly recommended. This is a great antidote to big hotels and resorts, with quiet charm, off the beaten track.

Room Tip: The cottage is a great place if you're looking for a little more privacy!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

The Kauai Banyan Inn is a boutique hideaway nestled on a hillside, just 10 minutes drive from the popular Poipu beach and less than 30 minutes drive from the start of Waimea Canyon Drive.
This was my first visit to Hawaii and as a solo female traveller, I was a little anxious having come all the way from Sydney, Australia. But my host, Lorna, made me feel at ease instantly. I was greeted with a warm smile and hug that made me feel like I had just come home.

I spent 5 nights in the Koa suite (18-23 Nov 2012) and my only complaint was not having more time to enjoy this relaxing and tranquil space. The Koa is the first unit as you enter from the left side of the parking area. There's a sign on the door with your name on it so you can get yourself settled in if Lorna is out when you arrived. Upon entering the wooden door to the Koa, you walk along a covered private balcony passage which forms part of your exclusive balcony area. As you turn the corner, you are greeted by magnificent views of the mountains in the distance and lush greenery that spreads out in front of you from just beyond your balcony. There is a round table and two chairs in the far left corner of the balcony which affords the best view of the mountains whilst you dine.

The interior of the suite is well presented and spacious enough to comfortably accomodate a double bed, chest of drawers (LCD on top), 2 armchairs plus small coffee table, 2 bar stools by the breakfast bar and bedside tables. Everything is very neat and tidy in this tastefully decorated suite. And I knew the floor was clean from walking around the interior of the suite barefoot.

Lorna has thoughtfully provided a welcome basket consisting of an assortment of local treats including fresh cut pineapple, bagels, taro buns, jams, nuts, macadamia cookies (addictive!), cake, Tokyo ramen, movie popcorn, chocolate, oats, and more. The refrigerator was stocked with more goodies – canned soft drinks, butter, coffee powder for the machine, milk. The well stocked kitchenette offers a range of cooking appliances to prepare your meals. During my stay, I enjoyed the use of the coffee-maker, electric hotplate for cooking, small oven/grill, microwave, kettle and toaster. Of course there are also pots & pans, dishes, glasses, chopping board and cutlery. I wished I had more time for leisurely breakfasts on the balcony to enjoy these magnificent views before starting each new day here. There is a double seat on the balcony, just outside the sliding door, where you can sit down to put on your shoes or simply enjoy the picturesque views. A gentle reminder to remove your shoes before entering the unit helps maintain the suite's timber flooring in immaculate condition. A small ice cooler is available to take along with you on your daily adventures. Yes, they have indeed thought of everything!

You can help yourself to the beach towels, DVDs and snorkel equipment. A coin operated guest laundry is also available. In case you need to air dry any items of clothing, a clothes airer is provided on your private balcony. And there is a jacuzzi outside to soothe your aching muscles or you could just soak in your own bathtub.

The bed was very comfortable!!! This is coming from someone with recurring back & neck complaints.

Good natural ventilation in the suite kept me nice and cool throughout my stay.

The suite was freshened up every 2nd day which was perfect for me. Towels were nice and soft :-)

As I was planning on doing some solo day hiking, I was thankful that Lorna would know if I went missing whereas staying at a hotel, no one would notice until it was time for me to check out.

One of Lorna's tips for me was to visit Ishihara supermarket in Waimea Town on the way to/from Waimea Canyon. This is very handy for picking up some lunch to take up to the Canyon for your day's adventure. At the risk of digressing, let me just say that the Korean raw crab from their deli was delicious!!

Lorna, thank you so much for creating this wonderful place and sharing it with your guests. I truly felt like I was in paradise. It was exactly the type of getaway that I needed - relaxing and peaceful, away from the hustle and bustle of tourist towns. I was very reluctant to leave for the next part of my journey. This really was a perfect hillside retreat.

Mahalo :-)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Oakdale, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

Great place to stay while you are visiting Kauai. We booked the cottage, our little home away from home. Everything was great. Lorna was a great host, always wanting to make sure her guests are cared for even when she had emergency surgery!!! Hope your eye has healed. We alread miss being there. It was great to have a nice place to relax after a day of exploring the island. Thank you again for the gift and Champagne for our anniversary, it was very touching to see when we arrived. We miss you and the cottage already!

Room Tip: If you want a lot of privacy - book the Cottage!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Kauai Banyan Inn? Share your experiences!