“great place for foodies” 4 of 5 stars

808-742-7117
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Josselin's Tapas Bar & Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 30 Restaurants in Koloa
Cuisines: Tapas, Pacific Rim
Good for: Romance, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert, Private Dining
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Poipu Rd.
Description: Chef Jean Marie Josselin has created another masterpiece with this new and unique tapas restaurant. Imagine dining in a rustic, yet contemporary, style dining room with an open view of the kitchen where the wood-burning oven cooks fresh, local produce, fish and meat to perfection. Share several different tapas and taste incredible culinary creations. Enjoy refreshing signature sangrias served tableside like you have never had it before. This chic new hotspot on Kauai"s south shore will have you coming back time and time again, making each experience a memorable one. "The Whole Process is About Sharing."
Oregon
“great place for foodies”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2011

I would go here again and again for the delicious and much varied tapas to please most anyone. My mouth waters just thinking about it. My husband though did not like the noise factor. The floor and ceiling bounce and amplify sounds.

• Visited March 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Iron River
“Worth the wait.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2011

We made reservations for Josselin's after finding them full on the Friday night of our arrival in Kauai, and decided it was well worth the wait. The atmosphere is very chic and somewhat metro, and the menu has an Asian/Pacific Rim/ Fusion flavor. Service was very good, and our meals were unique & delicious. A broad beverage selection offered something for everyone. Consistent with the other good restaurants in the area, Josselin's was expensive, but we didn't resent paying what we did for what we got.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Seattle, WA
“Feels like eating in a former cafeteria”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2011

We went to Josselin's at the recommendation of a local in Poipu. We wish we hadn't met them.

We arrived on a Sunday evening around 830 and the place was reasonable busy. The lighting inside is extremely bright and there are what seems like a dozen staff running around the front of the house. I ordered a beer from the bartender while waiting for our table and was informed that I had the last of that particular type of beer (a local lager) that they had which I found odd. In any case, on to the food.

We were sat down in a table in the middle of the room and I was handed a dirty menu (which the hostess excused but didn't offer to replace) and then unfolded my napkin (which was also grease stained) and silverware. I asked for another napkin and was thankfully given one.

The menu is attempting to be very upscale and creative with it's tapas/small plate portions and we decided to order 5 to get a decent sampling before overcommitting. While waiting we did have some terrific muffins which unfortunately were the highlight of the meal.

We ordered Scallop Pillows which were served in a chewy, damp dumpling with a flavorless broth. We also has a fresh asparagus dish with what was supposed to be a runny egg and lardons and ended up being an overcooked egg with very salty chunks of pork belly. We had a short rib dumpling which was just OK and was also in a very chewy (not in a good way) bao dumpling wrapper.

Throughout the service was random and scattered. The place actually felt like it had been designed to be a cafeteria and they changed it to a sit down restaurant after the fact. Awful art adorned the walls and the decor was something out of Z Gallerie meets Tommy Bahama. The place echoed horribly and you could barely hear yourself as well.

It was the first meal of our weeklong trip to Kauai and my wife and I both enjoy fine, even decent dining. We've been to hundreds of restaurants in countries around the world. When we left my wife asked me to sum up Josselin's in one word and all I could think of was 'sucked'.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Olympia, WA
“Very good, not great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2011

Service is perfect, food is very good. Still, it's mostly about the presentation, not the preparation, and in my opinion some dishes suffer for it. The menu changes all the time, so it's hard to recommend a specific dish. We had a shrimp and pork gyoza-style appetizer that was simple and very good, followed by a "decontructed" ahi sushi roll that was all dolled up with a bowl of dry ice and lemon-grass water underneath it. The effect was stunning, the dish itself was just good. I ordered the short ribs (one of the larger tapas) and was not particularly excited by it. Lots of meat, but the vegetables were dry and not really good at all. One of the highlights was the sangria cart that is wheeled around by one of the servers. This is not your college-kegger sangria - my wife ordered a lilikoi sangria that was very good. Another highlight was the roasted feta cheese salad. Very, very good. The dessert was also very, very good. I had profiteroles, my wife had a flour-less chocolate cake. My final take is that this new Josselin's is very good, but not up to the standards of his old A Pacific Cafe that once ruled the island restaurant scene in Kapa'a.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Kauai Hawaii
“Tapas with a French Twist”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2011

Ono grinds brah! Can't beat this food. Excellent sangrias mixed tableside too. I'm ready to head back to Kauai just to eat here. Yum-Mee!

• Visited January 2011