“Wasn't as impressive as I'd heard & read” 3 of 5 stars

808-742-7117
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Josselin's Tapas Bar & Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 35 Restaurants in Koloa
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Tapas, Pacific Rim
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Entertaining clients, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Dessert, Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Poipu Rd.
Description: Chef Jean Marie Josselin has created another masterpiece with this new and unique tapas restaurant. Imagine dining in a rustic, yet contemporary, style dining room with an open view of the kitchen where the wood-burning oven cooks fresh, local produce, fish and meat to perfection. Share several different tapas and taste incredible culinary creations. Enjoy refreshing signature sangrias served tableside like you have never had it before. This chic new hotspot on Kauai"s south shore will have you coming back time and time again, making each experience a memorable one. "The Whole Process is About Sharing."
Belton, Texas
“Wasn't as impressive as I'd heard & read”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

I had read and was told by the concierge that this was a great place to eat. We ordered 5 dishes and I didn't love any of them. The presentation was nice and so was the atmosphere, I just didn't care for the food.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

texas
“WORST MEAL I HAVE EVER HAD”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

This is a Tapas bar, so all of the items are to be shared. A wonderful concept, however, the food here was horrible. We got 6 different things and each was worse than the one before. Its as if the chef is just throwing weird things together to come up with the menu. I recommend that the chef actually try some of their own food. The smell was also a big problem..the smell of the food was so awful that we actually lost our appetite. The service was also bad. This is a very expensive restaurant and not worth the money. There are a lot of fabulous restaurants in Kauai..Don't waste your money on this one.

Visited July 2013
SF, CA
“Outstanding small plates”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

We enjoyed this place so much we went back a second time for dinner, and my wife repeated on the lychee sangria (one big glass lasted the entire meal both times). We also doubled on the octopus, which was quite tasty. The eggplant was one of the best preparations for eggplant we've had in a long time. The scallops were excellent. We're not huge eaters, and four plates each time was plenty for us. We didn't go for the entree-priced plates, which are over $20 each, but stuck with the tapas ones that are in the 10-20 range each.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Englewood, New Jersey
“Lychee Sangria!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

To be honest, Josselin's had potential to be my favorite meal due to the fact they have a sangria cart that they bring around the restaurant. Unfortunately, despite the lychee sangria being out of this world, the restaurant fell short. We ate there on a Tuesday night and it seemed to be very busy. We waited 15 minutes despite having a reservation, and had a server that seemed overwhelmed and flustered by the busy evening. The restaurant was sold out of two menu items we wanted to try so that was a big bummer. They brought to our table something we definetely did not order, and it took several minutes to locate someone to return the item. I have heard such great things from both vacationers and locals, that I think if I am back in Kauai that I would try it again. But my expereince fell short. Maybe it was an off night? Overall, a fun atmosphere with great drinks located in a cute shopping center.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
San Francisco, California
“A welcome change in Poipu!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

We have been to Kauai more times than I can count and have eaten in the upscale island restaurants many, many times - so really delighted to dine in a place that was different, delicious and still offers island-themed cuisine.

I was a little worried when I saw "tapas" because my mind went straight to Spanish, but relieved when the menu reflected island flavors and local ingredients. Dining with two families with kids ranging in age from 7-15 and everyone found lots that they liked. Poke was served over a bowl of dry-ice, a simple but dramatic touch that captivated the kids. It made them feel like they were having a very special meal. Generous-sized small-plates that ranged from fish, to veggies to beef.

For adults, the Sangria Cart was a treat! Custom-blended sangria made table-side to your taste. I had to stop at two but wish I could have pushed that cart back to the house.

Welcome Josselin's - A fun and delicious addition to the south side of Kauai!

Visited July 2013