“Something a little different” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 17 Activities in Kilauea
Type: Farms, Ranch & Farm
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Owner description: Enjoy a guided tour to Kauai's only dairy. The tours last 2-3 hours, include light breakfast, refreshments, fruit tasting, and cheese tasting. We do the farm tours every Monday and Thursday. Advanced bookings are required.
Vancouver, B.C.
3 attraction reviews
“Something a little different”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

My wife and I visited Kunana Dairy on our recent trip to Kauai September 2012. I found it on Tripadvisor highly recommended and the tour didn't dissappoint us.

When we arrived there was a plate of fresh baked cookies & banana bread and fresh ice cold lemonaid. Ryan, the owner, was friendly and knowledgeable, and encouraged questions about the operation.

The operation has fruit trees literally from all over the word, many I have never heard of. The Goats are obviously well looked after and are almost like pets, they love being petted.

At the end of the tour you have an opportunity to sample various goat cheeses - they were really good. You can also purchase goat cheese, chocolate bananas, fruits, honey, and various soaps & shampoos made from goats milk.

Give it a try if you're looking for something to do on Kauai that's a little different.

The only thing I would suggest to Ryan & Sarah is to supply bug spray to the guests.

HINT:

-Bring some bug spray, the mosquitoes are pretty bad when you walk thru the grass.

Princeville, Hawaii
“A Fun Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

My wife and I toured the farm in September 2012. The tour had a leisurely and relaxing pace. Ryan, our part time tour guide and full time farmer has a friendly demeanor and a wealth of information. He encouraged questions and provided answers that were neither too technical or too simple. The highlight of the tour for us was visiting, petting and feeding the goats. They are wonderful, gentle, creatures and the ladies at this particular farm are obviously loved and well-cared for. The goats are very familiar with people and very willing to accept a gentle pet and kind words.

The tour of the orchard and garden areas was fun too. There are a myriad of fruit trees and we were provided generous samples of everything that was in season. I've read some criticism of the tupperware and way the fruit is presented but I didn't see it as a problem. The fruit was covered tightly and there was plenty of space to grab a piece without contaminating it for others. I would suggest that parents with young children grab a piece of fruit for them since kids may not realize they are grubbing up the fruit. Perhaps a request from the tour guide for parents to grab fruit for the young ones is a good idea. I really didn't see the need for toothpicks and such.

The length of the tour was great for us. It definitely was not too long and we didn't get the feeling we were being held captive to rationalize the $40.00 per person fee. This is a working farm and as such requires a lot of physical work and long hours. I'm glad the farm offers a behind the scenes look into organic farming and think the fee is fair. I agree, for the 5-10 yr old crowd there might be some boredom. The group we were in was 10 adults and all seemed to enjoy the tour.

The cheese tasting at the end of the tour was fabulous and we purchased two types of wonderful cheese. Having met the ladies who shared their goodness with us made it all the tastier! We also bought some honey, lotion and balm.

In addition to the fruit and cheese we were also treated to two types of fresh-baked oatmeal cookies and wonderful fresh-baked banana bread. We washed it down with fresh, cold, lemonade. All part of the entry fee!

I highly recommend this tour for couples and families. I especially recommend it if you have been on-the-go for a few days and want a leisurely, relaxing, activity.

Ryan and Sarah are great hosts, the goats are sweet, the cheese and fruit are delicious, the baked goods awesome, and the atmosphere is homey and warm. Thanks to the Wooten family for their hospitality!

Irvine, California
4 attraction reviews
“Too much information!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

I visited the Kunana Dairy Farm Tour last week while visiting Kuaui. While we enjoyed the cheese, I feel like this tour needs some polishing. It's a small, family-run business, so I get it that these are the actual farmers and not formally trained guides. The farmers are extremely knowledgable and passionate about their farm. Nice people, tasty treats, but pretty pricey for the experience.

The Good:

My kids enjoyed petting and feeding the goats and chickens very much. They also enjoyed the massive spread of cookies, pumpkin bread and fresh lemonade upon arrival.

It was neat to try Avocados unique to this island. They tasted different, in a good way - seemed more nutty - I enjoyed that.

Fruits, Cheeses and goat by-products were for sale (lotions, lip balm, etc).

It was neat to see the facility and taste the different goat cheeses and Feta this family-run farm produces.

The goat cheese was absolutely delicious. Visit the farm toward the beginning of your stay on the island so you can buy and enjoy the cheese on crackers at your hotel during the rest of your vacation.

It was fun to see the list of all the hotels that order cheese from this farm.

Areas That Really Need Improving:

The tour was WAY too long. My kids are 8 and 10 and they were only engaged while around the animals and treats.

Food samples should be in a cleaner area. Not just spread out on the wooden picnic table that has ants on it. The tupperware was kinda iffy, too. Everybody just slathered their bodies with bug spray and sunblock and now these hands are plunging into the samples - there should be toothpicks in every sample.

Too much information. I don't need a history lesson on botany or goats or organic farming. A simple, "these are our citrus trees - we have lemons, limes, grapefruit...," would have sufficed. Instead our tour stopped for a very long time at every tree to discuss the merits of it and occasionally try a sample (one small piece per person straight out of a tupperware bowl). It was frankly, about an hour longer than it should be.

The tour took about two and a half hours. Our tour guide had no idea about the pacing for the tour. Hint: when people start wandering off and looking at their watches it's a sign that the tour needs to move along. We spent the first 45 minutes at the table area near the goat pen - hearing all about the different kinds of goats, their many differences, how much they are pampered and living a "stress free" life (because stress affects the taste of the milk and cheese according to them) and discussing the trees in that part of the property (there are over a thousand kinds of avocados, let's discuss them) and learning about the benefits of the disgusting noni fruit (sometimes used to treat certain kinds of cancer! They seriously said that.) My kids were already looking for other things to do. I don't blame them. Seriously, this is a small orchard, backyard chicken yard, and a vegetable garden. A little time (maybe 20 minutes total) was spent in a milking area (at a non-milking time - milking occurs after hours) and the cheese-making facility. My kids would have loved seeing a goat being milked. They tell you that the goats get milked in the early morning. How about a little video showing the process?

Unless your kids like goat cheese or feta, unsweetened grapefruit or avocados, bring snacks.

This was over-priced. Unless you are staying on the east or north side of the island, it is a trek to find the farm. It was $40 per person for adults and $10 per child under 12 years. It cost our family $100 to do this. And then you can buy their products.

I would suggest shortening this whole tour to closer to an hour and focusing on the product. Sample the fruits and cheeses together at the end. Charge $25 or $30 at most. Keep the information short and sweet. Answer questions while moving on to the next thing.

Summary:
These were nice people running the farm and I understand that farming is a very hard life. It was obvious that they were doing the best they could to bring in extra business and perhaps feel that a 2.5 hour tour is necessary in order to provide a $40 value.
If they simplify the tour by shortening the length of time and focus on the food produced rather than the farm itself, this would be much better. I would suggest a quick stroll through the orchard, skip the produce field, more time on the cheese-making part and finally end at the sampling table that overlooks the goat pasture. Drop the price a little and this place would be a fun little excursion. We felt that our time would have been better spent on the beach.

Manhattan Beach, California
“A fantastic Family Farm”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

Wait 'til you hold a baby goat in your arms! Ryan and Sarah Wooten operate/own an organic farm. Its a family business started by Ryan's mom and he has grown up with it. The 70-member goat herd is a trip and its such fun to feed them. But then there is the herb garden and giant tropical fruit trees. O, the fruits!

These people know their business and are so generous with their knowledge. They make goat cheese and other goat's milk products. All organic, all nicely presented and at a fair price. Go see them at the beginning of your stay so you have goat cheese for apetizers at night and the most delicious papayas ever!

Visited July 2012
Oxnard, California, United States
“"It's All About The Girls"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

This is the second time that I've taken this tour. I took it 10 months ago and brought my wife & kids back to see it. Ryan and Sarah are the best hosts. They open up and share their life and daily routines. It is a very informative tour. I learned a little more, the second time around too. They let you interact with the goats, share many of the sights, sounds, scents, and tastes of life on a Kauai Goat Dairy. They sell many incredible products. Samples are available for just about everything they sell. They do ship, as well. I will visit any time I come to Kauai.

Visited July 2012