“Great activity and not a typical tourist place.” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 19 things to do in Kilauea
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Owner description: Enjoy a guided tour to Kauai's only dairy. The tours last 2-3 hours, include light breakfast, refreshments, fruit tasting, and cheese tasting. We do the farm tours every Monday and Thursday. Advanced bookings are required.
California
6 attraction reviews
“Great activity and not a typical tourist place.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

We visited the dairy with our two kids and many other family members. The tour was wonderful, very low key, and personal. We fed goats and chickens, held the new baby goats, and ate lots of great goat cheese and goodies. We hope to go back again and again. Really a fun day. Pros: overall wonderful. Cons: Small tour only on Thursdays so plan ahead. Kids are free!

Honolulu, Hawaii
“I agree with californiano...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

I must completely agree with californiano's review....
The owners are genuine and wonderful people....
The tour is $35 per adult, kids are free. For us, we brought along grandma, so we paid $109 total... I thought this was a bit steep for what it was... I probably would not recommend to friends or family.
They served us very delicious cookies and breads with yummy lemonade.
Very minimal animal interaction.
Tour the farm on foot... Learn about flora and fauna growing on the farm... Taste fruits and honey and stuff in season....
Our kids are 4 and 1 year old and we left 2 hours into the tour as it was way too much talking for our kids. They got very bored.
Lots of bugs, and it's very hot. Wear sunscreen and repellant.
Wear covered shoes, the tour guide got bit by a centipede.

Southern California
5 attraction reviews
“Goats, Chickens and More”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

My wife and I really enjoyed our visit to the Kunana Farm. There were goodies to sample before the tour, and goat cheese tasting at the end. We also learned about local fruits and vegetables and it was a good opportunity to find out about organic farming. Ryan and his wife made everyone welcome and were knowledgeable hosts.

San Antonio
“God Made the Kids, and Kids will Love the Goats”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

If you and your family are not familiar with farm life, there can be no better introduction than this lovely family, their goats, and delightful grounds. I have been around farm animals my entire life and I still learned so much.... and I loved the genuine love that the Wooton family has for their goat family.

Don't hesitate to ask questions, you can learn soooooooooooo much for Ryan, who is a real gentleman, though quiet spoken.

The goat cheese is so yummy!

Visited May 2011
San Diego, California
200 attraction reviews
1,389 helpful votes 1,389 helpful votes
“Overrated average experience... Besides goats kids will get bored easily...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

I always hate posting a negative review but I almost felt obligated to for future people that are thinking about going and on the fence about it. The TA posts are all overwhelmingly positive but I'm going to go against the grain and offer another realistic perspective.

No doubt the owners, Ryan and his wife are really good and genuine people. It's easy to see that they are hard workers. When I called to make the reservation, they answered the phone and quickly confirmed the reservation and then emailed me directions and a confirmation a few hours later. They were booked for the week I called so we booked for the following week (today).

With the #1 rated thing to do we figured it would be a bit more than it was and the positive reviews were so over the top positive, maybe we were going into it with higher expectations.

First the positive.... they started out the day at 10 AM with fresh cookies and fresh breads (banana bread was my favorite!). The cookies were delicious and were chocolate chip, oatmeal raisin combined. Also, they served fresh lemonade which was also great. Definitely no one is going to complain about Sara's cooking as she is a great cook!

Also, the kids LOVED the interaction with the goats. First they took out some baby goats and let the kids hold them and take photos. Also, they had leaf branches so people could feed the adult goats. Everyone loved that and no complaining about that. That type of thing is what we were expecting.

However, that is about the only interaction with animals you will find and really it wasn't much time. The rest of the time is mostly going around and Ryan talking about various types of avocado trees they have on their grounds. It wasn't interesting for the vast majority of people and people were super bored overall.

Kids were getting restless and they will NOT enjoy that part. Kids don't care about the history of an avocado tree. I heard many kids (at least 5) asking their parents if they can go home. And a few families left early during the tour as their kids were so bored.

Surprisingly there were many families without kids which surprised me. I can't see paying over $70 for a couple for this. And even with kids I think it's fair you need to know going into this your interaction with animals consists of only a few minutes with goats. Definitely that will be the highlight of your trip.

They did show some chickens and roosters but anyone that comes to Kauai knows you will see these all over the island. Also, something which I feel is important to point out is I thought it would be more of an intimate experience but there were a lot of people. When I asked someone about it she admitted that they accidentally overbooked as there was some mix up. So take that part with a grain of salt and maybe it isn't an every day type of thing but something that I experienced so I will point it out.

Again, Ryan and his wife were extremely friendly and very nice. I just felt that people need to know going in what it's like. Yes, you will enjoy the interaction with the goats but that is a very minor part of the trip. You will spend more time walking around and having explained various types of avocado trees, plants, flowers, etc. Kids don't find those types of things interesting and almost all of them were bored most of the trip besides the goats.

I'm not saying it's not worth doing. But I think people paying $35 per person need to go in with realistic expectations so they won't be disappointed while you spend the majority of time talking about various types of trees.

Visited June 2011