“Still a bargain” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Wailua Bay View Condominiums

You added Wailua Bay View Condominiums to your Saves list
Wailua Bay View Condominiums
2.5 of 5 Condominium   |   Papaloa Road, Coconut Coast, Kapaa, Kauai, HI 96746   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #4 of 15 Specialty Lodging in Kapaa
Vienna, Virginia
“Still a bargain”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

I was here in January 2012 for 3 weeks. I'm back for another 2 weeks. I really love this place. Wailua is a great location for quick access to most of the Island. The condo I stay in is 109. The bed is very comfortable. The aero-type beds are very comfortable too. I prefer to sleep on one of them in the living area near the lanai doors to hear the ocean all night. I love to lounge on the lanai and just watch the ocean or the people surfing. The kitchen has been updated in this condo and it is stocked with just about anything you would need. There was even stuff in the fridge. Beach chairs, umbrellas ,coolers. Just about anything needed. The pool area is attractive and never crowded. All sorts of beautiful flowers growing on the property. When I first arrived there were ants in a box of brown sugar that hadn't been closed up well. They evidently felt threatened by the bottle of vinegar I set on the counter cause they all took off. Having a washer and dryer is a plus. If you are looking for "comfortable and reasonably priced" this is the place

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
araikes, Manager at Wailua Bay View Condominiums, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Thank you for your kind review of the Wailua Bay View. We do not manage unit 109, but appreciate your kind comments about the proeprty and views.

Happy travels,

Condominium Rentals Hawaii

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

The ocean view from our condo was very beautiful and private. The building was on a hill high above the street, and we were on the third floor. We felt very safe over all. There was a balcony which was like our living room, we ate food and relax...very nice. There was a washer/dryer in unit and that was a huge plus traveling with kids in Hawaii. The living room was smallish but cozy, and had free WiFi. The condo had no maid service during our stay but it was very clean. The building was well maintained and cleaned, and we saw people walking on the carpeted stairs with bare feet. Only downside was this area. We read "The east shore is a shopper's paradise" in the famous Blue Book, but where?! We didn't see anything like that. There were a dilapidated weird looking hut right next to our building and huge rusted ruins across the street! It turned out they were destroyed by a monster hurricane two decades ago! The hut used to be a restaurant and the ruins turned out to be "Coco Palm Resort" which used to be one of the best hotel in Kauai. ELVIS stayed there and made the movie " Blue Hawaii" in that place! There was a famous snorkeling beach called Lydgate Beach Park close by. But when we got there, the visibility was zero and we couldn't see anything in the pools. We did boogie boarding outside of the pools, but the waves were too rough for kids.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review of Wailua Bay View. I am glad you enjoyed the oceanfront views, private setting, in-unit amenities, and cleanliness of your condo. As for the location on the east shore, I guess it all depends on your preferences. While Princeville to the north and Poipu to the south house some of the 5-star hotels on Kauai, some visitors prefer Kapaa/Wailua as it is close to the airport, less “resorty”, and centrally located, making visiting all areas of the island much more convenient. We hope to see you again on a future trip!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012 via mobile

I did not have any idea before I came this place. Feel like someone already live here. The refrigirator had lots of staff in it, there are several sunscreens to use, the kitchen had lots of staff even all kind of cooking staff. Binocular, Wierd ornaments. Snorkeling gears. Used candlles. Detergent for dirty clothes. As i said, feel like , Someone just left before you come. If you don't mind to use someone else's house, this place is a good option. You can cook and do all kind of home staff such as watching DVD s. however, if you are picky and don't like to use someone else's place, go snd find a real hotel.

• Stayed August 2012
Thank you for your review of Wailua Bay View. It sounds like you may have stayed in a condo that is managed by its owner or possibly and off-island representative, who may not be in the condo on a frequent basis. We at Condominium Rentals Hawaii make sure each condo we manage at Wailua Bay View is professionally cleaned before and after each arrival. Besides the “lived-in” felling you got from the condo, it sounds like you enjoyed your stay. We hope you choose to return to Wailua Bay View on future trips!

Carrollton, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

We spent 10 awesome days this summer at #204. The condo is bigger in person than it shows in the pictures and it’s in the perfect central location on the island for sight seeing. This unit had everything we needed including beach towels, snorkel equipment, ice chest and a washer and dryer. The view of the ocean was fabulous! I spent every morning as the sun rose on the lanai reading Princess Ka’iulani Hope of a Nation, Heart of a People. The beach was easily accessed and there were great places to eat close by. While you are on the island you should eat as many hamburgers and steaks as you can. The grass fed beef is out of this world! Buy fresh fruit and flowers for the condo at a local farmers market (they are all listed in the binder in the condo). The information in the binder also helped us locate a doctor when my husband got sick. Thanks Chuck for the info binder, it’s a great resource for your guest. There is also a DVD that shows you highlights of Kauai and the other islands and a guide book to use while you are there. We will definitely stay here again on our next trip to the island. Maholo Chuck from one Texan to another for sharing your piece of paradise with us.
Our favorite eating places on the island…..
Brick Oven Pizza (across the street)
Eggbert's (in the Coconut market by the Hula girl sign - The best omelets we have ever had)
Hukilau Lanai (by the Coconut market – The best calamari on the island)
Olympic Cafe (Great food and good happy hour specials)
Puka dogs in the Poipu Shopping Village (My favorite dog was a spicy Polish sausage with Lilikoi Mustard and Pineapple relish)
Keoki’s Paradise in the Poipu Shopping Village (try the hula pie)
Wrangler's Steakhouse
JJ’s Hawiian BBQ
You must try a Shave Ice with coconut ice cream.
Must do’s on the island…….
Go to a Luau – we went to the Luau at the Kilohana plantation (then come back during the day for the rum tasting)
“South pacific” play at the Hilton Kauai beach (on wed. nights)
Take a river cruise to the Fern Grotto – The dancing and music are great!
Island Soap & Candle Works (my favorite souvenirs are soap and these are fantastic) Old Koloa Town Shopping Center.
Holoholo charters catamaran for the Napali coast and Niihau super tour (take 2 bonine sea sick pills before leaving port) the seas can get rough out there but the trip and snorkeling is awesome!
Blue Hawaii helicopter tour
If you play golf you must play at the $9.00 golf course. Yes, you read that correct I said $9.00 to play 9 holes and $9.00 to rent clubs and $9.00 to rent a cart for a total of $27.00. Kukuiolono golf course. 854 Puu Road in Kalaheo.
Snorkel at Ke’e beach
Church services at Waioli Church in Hanalei (singing is in Hawaiian)
Check out the view at Hanalei bay from the St. Regis
Drive the Waimea Canyon
Visit the lighthouse
See some waterfalls
Kamokila Hawaiian village (across from Opaeka’a falls)
Mountain tubing
If you happen to be on the island on July 3rd the US Navy opens the missile range for a great fireworks show that’s a must see!

Carrollton, TX
June 27th – July 7th 2012

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
araikes, Manager at Wailua Bay View Condominiums, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Aloha Carrollton,

Thank you for the kind review of Wailua Bay View and unit 204! It sounds like you were very active and got to see/experience much of Kauai. We will be sure to pass on your kind words to Chuck.

We look forward to hopefully seeing you again in the future.

Washougal, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

I booked at the Wailua Bayview upon the recommendation from a friend and we were totally excited. As it got closer to the date of travel I started looking at reviews and I got REALLY nervous!!!

Thankfully when we got there things weren't as bad as some of the other people had written about other unit. Now, that isn't saying they were perfect BUT for the price we paid it was tolerable. I wish there had been newer carpet (you could see the brown paths where everyone walks) and I wish the bathroom had been cleaner but again, the price for 9 days in paradise was hard to beat.

I loved that when you looked out from sitting on the couch all you could see was ocean! Just ignore the comments about the restaurant. Yes - it is run down but we never saw anything besides a chicken around or in the condo but the chickens are EVERYWHERE so if you are afraid of chickens don't even both going to Kauai.

If you are looking for a cheap place in the middle of the island with easy access to everything and near the beach this is the place to stay. We'd ceratinly go back here if we go back to Kauai!

Room Tip: We always go for rooms on the top because no one is walking around above you...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
araikes, Manager at Wailua Bay View Condominiums, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Thank you for your review of Wailua Bay View and unit 312. I am glad that you would certainly come back and stay at our condo again for a future Kauai visit!

Happy travels,

Missouri City, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

This was our second trip to Kauai and the Wailua Bay View #204. We spent our 40th wedding anniversary on Kauai and returned two years later to spend two weeks at this condo. The location is perfect. We headed to the North Shore one day and then explored Poipu and the South side another day. We loved that we were able to travel light and utilize the washer/dryer in the condo along with the well stocked kitchen. On our lazy days, we had breakfast at Eggbert's down the street and dinner was a short walk away at either the Brick Oven Pizza or at Monicos. The view from our condo is picture postcard perfect. We spent many days on the beach right below our lanai. We had everything we needed provided for us in the condo. Chairs to sit on the beach, mats for relaxing on the sand and our own private lanai to sit and enjoy a cold drink and the most amazing view you can imagine. Chuck (the owner) was a pleasure to work with and provided us with helpful links, information and advice that helped us with every aspect of our vacation. During our stay, there was some construction down the street; however, with the windows open and the sound of the surf during the day and with the A/C on at night when we went to sleep, we were not bothered by it at all. It was the perfect place to enjoy an extended vacation and we can't wait to return. We highly recommend condo #204.

Room Tip: Unit 204 has updated amenities.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Florissant
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

We are repeat customers of Wailua Bayview. This review is focused on one unit managed by a company-NOT the privately-run condos.

I wrote a pretty harsh review when I first returned from Kauai. I pulled that one since I wanted to cool off and see things from a different perspective.

Booking a specific condo was difficult. The company CAN move you if they choose and I did not want that. It took several phone calls to resolve the issue.

The condo was sort of clean, but the whole place was somewhat sticky-feeling. I ended up wiping down the kitchen cabinets, table, door-frames and door knobs. The bathroom was not very clean, but a spray of bleach-based cleaner (the condo had a lot of cleaning supplies) and some elbow grease tidied that up. I got the impression the housekeeper did a quick run-through. The half-cleaned toilet tipped me off to that.

I do not appreciate spending precious (and expensive) vacation time cleaning, so I was pretty unhappy.

The bathtub was slow-draining, and eventually maintenance had to be called. I knew the problem was on-going since the tub had rings from the standing water. In a couple days that got fixed, but until then-yuck.

There was a jalousie window part missing, and when the storms blew through it knocked over a lamp and some of our stuff. If someone had cleaned the windows, they would have seen the missing part.

The dishwasher also had problems, and at times our dishes did not get clean. That would explain why so many of the "clean" pots and pans were dirty. We ended up hand-washing most of the time.

My advice is anyone renting: check out the condo thoroughly when you first get in and call, call, call to get satisfaction for reasonable requests. It is a drag to do an inspection at the start of a Hawaiian vacation, but it saves trouble later. Flush the toilet, run the shower, check the pillows, see if the fridge is cool enough.

Okay, positives. WBV is an excellent value for a place on the ocean. The walk to very-quiet Wailua Bay is short enough, but the AM traffic can be kind of scary. The locals at the beach are very kind. I did yoga every morning on the beach and felt safe.

Ignore the broken-down restaurant-not the fault of WBV. In all the years I have coming to the condo complex I never saw a rat or other vermin there.

The price is great for a condo with full amenities including a washer-dryer and a pool. The noise levels are really low these days, even with a service station nearby. Incidentally, that service station has delicious breakfast bentos and musubis in the morning. Plus a basket of hard boiled eggs. The bakery is good, as well. The people working those places are very nice even to an obvious haole like me.

Quiet condo near everything. I may choose another unit but I will absolutely come back to Wailua Bayview.

Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
araikes, Manager at Wailua Bay View Condominiums, responded to this review, May 17, 2012
Thank you for the review of the Wailua Bay View and we definitely value our return guests. I am glad you plan to return to our property in the future, despite the issues you experienced in unit 315. I am sorry you found these issues and we are sending a property manager to inspect the elements you mentioned to assure that future guests have an excellent and comfortable stay while on Kauai. We hope these issues did not prevent you from having an unforgettable time on Kauai. It is truly a beautiful island.

Because the units are privately owned, we cannot 100% "guarantee" the unit you request as the owner may plan a last-minute trip to their condo, decide to sell their condo, etc. These scenarios happen very infrequently and most all of our guests end up in the specific unit they requested.

Mahalo and happy travels,

Allan
Condominium Rentals Hawaii

Been to Wailua Bay View Condominiums? Share your experiences!