“I love this place!!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Wailua Bay View Condominiums

You added Wailua Bay View Condominiums to your Saves list
Wailua Bay View Condominiums
2.5 of 5 Condominium   |   Papaloa Road, Coconut Coast, Kapaa, Kauai, HI 96746   |
Ranked #3 of 15 Specialty Lodging in Kapaa
Vienna, Virginia
“I love this place!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2012

I came for 2 weeks and am staying for 3. One of the reasons is WBV. I'm in #109. Rented thru the owner [--]. Some are owner managed and some are in a rental pool management company I think. My bedroom overlooks the pool area which is NOT in the parking lot. It is surrounded by a fence and plants and trees. Very pleasant with the usual lounges and chairs around the pool. The view of the ocean and mountains takes my breathe away everytime I walk into the condo. The sound of the waves is constant and priceless. Eventually you don't even hear them. I sleep on a inflatable bed (very comfortable) in the living area with the doors open so I can listen to the waves while falling asleep. Sure beats the sound machine I use at home. There has been the occassional mosquito but not a big problem. The gas station is CONVENIENTLY located nearby. The "highway" referred to is 2 lane probably 35 MPH near the condos/ It is 2 streets over. I have slept in the bedroom (on the temperpedic bed with the egyptian cotton sheets) with the windows open and had no problem. I guess if you are a light sleeper you could shut the windows and turn on the overhead fan. This place is neither nasty, dirty or creepy. If I could afford to buy a condo and move here to live I would. The Seashell Restaurant was destroyed along with the Coco Palms during Hurricane Iniki.. It is not attached to the condos. It is downhill of them. It is not very big and as far as I can tell has no roaches. The CocoPalms are wa-a-a-y across the street and down the road. The beach has a lot of driftwood which gives it personality and great photo ops. I have walked on it and found no drug paraphenalia. People fish, surf, swim and paddle off this beach. Occassional bonfires are built in the evening. Plenty of room for setting up chairs, umbrellas and chilling. If you need pristine beaches go North. Just keep in mind it's a drive. WBV is about 15 minutes from Costco and the airport. If like me you have traveled on two 6 hour flights to get here at 6:30 in the evening and then waited another who knows how long for your rental car you will appreciate only having to go 15 minutes to Kapa'a rather than an hour to Northshore. ( I stayed Northshore 3 years ago. Lovely. Long drive to anywhere).
Groceries, restaurants, shopping, red box and that gas station all nearby. You can walk to the Coconut Marketplace from here. The units are well stocked with sheets, towels, dishes, soap, toilet paper, beach chairs, etc Mine is very clean and the kitchen appliances are updated. Washer and dryer in units. Nice grounds. The same 3 chickens make the rounds everyday crowing randomly and looking for food. They are beautiful. I will be coming back and staying here again.
I feel very safe in this area.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
N California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012

I have been and will continue to go and stay at Wailua Bay View. It is very well kept and is a great place to stay. What a value and what a nice place. Apparently the person who posted such a terrible posting , has issues. He mentions a concern about the old Seashell Restaurant. Which was part of the Old Famous Coco Palms Resort. It has nothing to do with Wailua Bay View.

Some must look for the bad. They are the unhappy ones. Then there are folks like us? Happy ones.

But, if folks read all the Great reviews this location gets, they will see that sometimes, some people should not travel.

They are the few that blow it for everyone. Not to count out all the wonderful folks that take great care of their units at Wailua Bay View.

Most of the units are very well kept, and many of them have been completely renovated, inside their units. The outside is totally kept up. And the views, are to kill for.

We are coming back again, soon, and have been there over 10 times, with no disappointments. We like working with the owner, and his condos were completely renovated and stocked real well. We normally stay in #203 or #205 and other times in other units, if our favorite unit is booked.

Room Tip: Look for a renovated one such as #203 and #205. I know they were picked and put in the Dummies Trave...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

After traveling halfway around the world we arrived at the Wailua Bay View complex in the evening to find an unattended office. Actually, the office was a little shack with an open sliding door, there were no lights on, and there was nobody to give us guidance. We were exhausted and stranded in the parking lot of this hotel with no information about check-in. Luckily, I had the emergency contact # for the hotel. Surprisingly, the rep gave me an attitude when I asked how to check in. Her exact words were 'are you seriously calling me about this? You should have received email instructions on how to get in!' I did not receive any instructions of the sort AND my room assignment was changed without notification. Aside from this rough first impression, this hotel is run down, filthy, outdated, and downright depressing. The pool is in the parking lot and a major highway and gas station is about 100 feet away. There is a nasty abandoned roach infested restaurant that is connected to the hotel. Yes, really, it is true. This place is so creepy Hollywood would consider using it for a horror film. Don't be fooled by the marketing gimic about the breath taking ocean front views. The view is completely marred by the nasty haunted restaurant. This beach looks like it might be the epicenter of the islands meth trade with its dark alcoves, leftover beer can bongs and abandoned nearby hotels. When considering this view you should be aware that this strip of highway where this hotel is nested is the armpit of the island. The north and south shore areas have far superior ocean front views. Anyways, when we finally got into our room I literally sat on the sofa for no more then 30 seconds and I started itching all over my arms. Within seconds I had INSECT BITES all over my right arms and sides of my feet.

We high tailed it out of our room without pulling back the sheets to see what other creepy crawlies were sharing the room. We immediately called Expedia. They tried to discuss the our situation with one of the hotel reps and were hung up on. Enough said! Expedia did the right thing an immediately gave us a refund.

In conclusion, there are far better options for the same price on this island. I can't imagine who could have written positive reviews other then insiders. Good luck!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
araikes, Manager at Wailua Bay View Condominiums, responded to this review, January 27, 2012
To the best of our knowledge this review was not done by any guest of Condominium Rentals Hawaii at the Wailua Bay View. Attempts to get more detail from the reviewer have not received any response.
While it is correct that adjacent to the property there is an abandoned restaraunt that was not rebuilt after Hurricane Iniki in 1992, the other comments are either greatly exagerated or incorrect based on what we know of this property and the standard of customer service we pride our selves on offering..
You will note the vast majority of past reviews have for the most part been positive. We are not sure who this person but if they eventually contact us we would be pleased to address their concerns.
Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

stayed here when we got married in october 2010. the owner was very nice and willing to go out of his way to make sure we had everything we needed. Pool was small and had no view of beach but had great mountain views. Location was close to shopping and resturants. Also right across the street from a gas station making it nice to fill up before leaving the island.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2011

Condo is very clean, comfortable and nicely decorated. Had everything we could possibly need. Very centrally located on the east side of the island and close to the airport. There was also ample parking available and an office on site for any issues you might encounter. Some street noise can be heard from the bedroom but didn't bother us too much. The windows can always be closed and air conditioning used at night. Some reviewers complained about the abandoned buildings around the condo, however I found the history about these places and the hurricane that destroyed them to be quite facinating. You can even tour the old Coco Palms resort across the street and there is even a book in the condo all about the history. Hopefully it will be restored soon. There are lots of great restaurants and shops just steps away from the condo. We recommend Monico's for mexican and Kitaro for sushi and Hukilau Lanai for a very special night out. Overall, we found this condo a tremendous value for Kauai and would stay here again!

• Stayed November 2011
Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

We loved almost everything about WBV. We stayed in #305 top floor. It has a lovely view from private lanai, was clean and well equipped, affordable prices, very friendly and helpful staff, has a comfortable bed, nice pool area, great location, conveniet to stores and restaurants BUT not the highway noise!! We admit we are very light sleepers but the building is right on the main highway. We had to sleep with the A/C on and earplugs when we would rather have had the windows open with the tropical breeze. If you do choose this condo, book rooms with largest number which are farther from the highway.

Room Tip: Book condos with highest number to be farther from highway. If you are able to climb stairs, the bes...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Lubbock
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

We were very pleased with the condo #204 at Wailua Bayview that we rented through the owner Chuck. He was very nice to work with and responded promptly to emails. He also provided links to a wealth of information and pictures of hiking trails and activities on Kauai! I agree with other reviewers that the condo is a great location central to other areas to visit. We drove down to the south shore to Poipu one day, and north to Princeville/Hanalei Bay another and both took about 45 minutes and well worth it. The condo has nice new granite counters, is very well equipped with kitchen utensils, dishes, plenty of towels, etc. Beautiful view of the bay and beach from the covered lanai. Only the bedroom is air conditioned, but the living area was comfortable with the ceiling fan on. It is near the highway and a gas station, but we did not have a problem with noise at all. There are a few restaurants and shops right across the road, and many more as well as grocery stores a 5 min. drive up the road in Kapaa. Just a short walk to the beach, but swimming wasn't recommended there at the time because of strong waves and rip currents. We did go down there one night and built a campfire, which was a lot of fun. Lydgate park was nearby with a lovely beach and protected swimming area and playground.
I wouldn't hesitate to rent from Chuck again.

Room Tip: All of the rooms have a ocean/bayview from what I could tell. There are 3 floors but there is no ele...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapaa
Aston Islander on the Beach
Plantation Hale Suites
Kauai Shores, an Aqua Hotel
Courtyard by Marriott Kauai at Coconut Beach
Kauai Coast Resort at the Beachboy

Been to Wailua Bay View Condominiums? Share your experiences!