After traveling halfway around the world we arrived at the Wailua Bay View complex in the evening to find an unattended office. Actually, the office was a little shack with an open sliding door, there were no lights on, and there was nobody to give us guidance. We were exhausted and stranded in the parking lot of this hotel with no information about check-in. Luckily, I had the emergency contact # for the hotel. Surprisingly, the rep gave me an attitude when I asked how to check in. Her exact words were 'are you seriously calling me about this? You should have received email instructions on how to get in!' I did not receive any instructions of the sort AND my room assignment was changed without notification. Aside from this rough first impression, this hotel is run down, filthy, outdated, and downright depressing. The pool is in the parking lot and a major highway and gas station is about 100 feet away. There is a nasty abandoned roach infested restaurant that is connected to the hotel. Yes, really, it is true. This place is so creepy Hollywood would consider using it for a horror film. Don't be fooled by the marketing gimic about the breath taking ocean front views. The view is completely marred by the nasty haunted restaurant. This beach looks like it might be the epicenter of the islands meth trade with its dark alcoves, leftover beer can bongs and abandoned nearby hotels. When considering this view you should be aware that this strip of highway where this hotel is nested is the armpit of the island. The north and south shore areas have far superior ocean front views. Anyways, when we finally got into our room I literally sat on the sofa for no more then 30 seconds and I started itching all over my arms. Within seconds I had INSECT BITES all over my right arms and sides of my feet.
We high tailed it out of our room without pulling back the sheets to see what other creepy crawlies were sharing the room. We immediately called Expedia. They tried to discuss the our situation with one of the hotel reps and were hung up on. Enough said! Expedia did the right thing an immediately gave us a refund.
In conclusion, there are far better options for the same price on this island. I can't imagine who could have written positive reviews other then insiders. Good luck!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Wailua Bay View is a three-story oceanfront condominium complex overlooking Wailua Bay, a popular surfing and kite surfing beach in Kapaa. Each condo has a private lanai overlooking the ocean, full kitchen, washer/dryer, and private bedroom. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, Orbitz, BookIt.com, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Wailua Bay View Condominiums reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Wailua Bay View Condominiums Hotel Kapaa
- Wailua Bay View Condominiums Kauai/Kapaa