“You Get What You Pay For” 2 of 5 stars

Aston Aloha Beach Hotel
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   3-5920 Kuhio Highway, Kapaa, Kauai, HI 96746   |
Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Kapaa
A TripAdvisor Member
“You Get What You Pay For”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2005

Where do I begin? We stayed two nights and BEGGED the Radisson Resorts to give us a room for our remaining 4 nights.

The problems with Aloha Beach Resort range from minor to serious. First, the "minor" problems: We booked an oceanview room at the Aloha Beach Resorts -- and we got the room. However, the windows were SO dirty, we couldn't really SEE the ocean view that we paid extra for. It didn't help to open the door because there's no step-out balcony for you to step out into to enjoy the view. The showers were TEENEY. I am 5 feet tall, 105 lbs and I felt totally cramped in that shower. They're very skimpy on toiletries. Bring your own. Carpet was very dirty too (I usually go barefoot but not at this hotel!!!) The "oceanview" room was actually very very far from the ocean since the park separates the property from the beach. Yes, you see the ocean. But it's very far away if you're ok with that. The beach, by the way, is littered with endless beer bottles that the partyers carelessly discarded. Not exactly my idea of pristine paradise. The two swimming pools they have are like the showers-- extremely small and always crowded. It's like swimming in a sardine can. I never even dipped a toe into the pool water because the pools didn't look clean at all. Maintenance doesn't seem to be a prime concern on this "resort."

The bigger problems: The hotel borders Lydgate Park, which is a prime party destination for the locals on weekend nights. They partied on till 1:30 a.m. both weekend nights we were there (because of the time difference it was actually 4:30 a.m. California time). Once the partying stops, the roosters (which are ALL OVER the island) woke us up religiously at 4 a.m. EVERY morning with annoying cockadoodling. Roosters are everywhere on the island but they seem to particularly favor the Lydgate Park, which is a breeding ground for them.

The plus side: The restaurant is good (so is the snack bar). The parking is free. The staff is very friendly (except for a guy who is infamous for being rude -- his name is James and when we complained to the front desk about him, they said that many other guests have complained about him too). Why he's still there is beyond me. The hotel doesn't seem to care about complaints. Whether it is about the room or staff. Like they brushed off our complaint about James, they did the same when we told them about the rooster problem, waking us up at 4 every morning, they brushed it off as "roosters are everywhere on Kauai." The best thing about the Aloha Beach Resorts is that it's only 2 miles from the BEAUTIFUL Radisson Resorts ... which boasts 4 major beautiful pools with waterfalls. Free cocktails/drinks every night from 5-6 at the pool bar and a free hula dance (which was a better and more breathtaking performance than the dances we saw at the $60-per-person luau!) and torch-lighting ceremony at 6 p.m. every night. Thank god for the Radisson, that's all I have to say.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Vallejo, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2005

My kids (8 and 4) and I stayed at the Aloha Beach Resort for our first trip to Kauai; we were there for 8 days, and we enjoyed our stay. We chose this hotel primarily because of its location - it is centrally located, so you can get to all parts of the island fairly easily. Note that it IS hard to turn left onto the highway. We quickly discovered that its quicker & easier to turn right, then immediately take the first left into Wailua Marina, u-turn and get onto the highway. Worked for us! It was easy to get to the hotel from the airport - just look for the hotel immediately after the turn off for Lydgate park.

We had an ocean view room, ground floor, in the Maile wing. We were right on the pool and we liked our room. It was comfortable and we had all we needed. Yes, the carpet was stained and felt kinda sticky, but that is most certainly due in part to the climate, and in part to guest after guest traipsing into the room from the pool, from the beach, etc. Personally, I think they'd be better off dumping the carpet and going with hard floors. The room and bathroom were clean and satisfactory for us, and the cleaning staff was great - very responsive to requests, very considerate. I never saw a single insect of any kind in the room at any time, and if they were there, I think we would have seen them - I have kids - kids make crumbs! We had some issues with our room keys that involved a defective reader on the door that needed to be replaced. The staff were very quick to fix the problem and get us back into our room, so no complaints from us!

Hotel staff was for the most part friendly and helpful! We ate the buffet breakfast several times in the hotel - while not the greatest food, it was adequate for us and with my daughter eating free, it was an economically sound choice for us. And she was happy with her bowl of cereal, plate of pineapple, and glass of guava juice (her new favorite!). Service was excellent.

Grounds were beautiful and well kept. I liked being able to pick a plumeria blossom each day to put in my daughter's hair - even found a tree with gorgeous fuschia colored plumeria! Yes, there were chickens on the grounds, and no, they did not bother us. I chose to sleep with our window closed and the air on - the room was virtually soundproof and no outside noises penetrated to disturb us. In the morning, I opened the sliding glass door, and we were occasionally greeted by a rooster, but more often by a mother hen and her 14 chicks, passing by. We were very fond of them!

They were quite busy repainting the hallways during our stay, which significantly brightened up the passageways; the craftsmen doing the work were very courteous and friendly and never got in the way or made us feel uncomfortable or inconvenienced. Very professional.

Ate lunch and had snacks at the Kahunu Snack place by the pool. The lady working there is a LOVELY woman - very friendly! The pool brought us a lot of pleasure too and we enjoyed our time there. A couple of afternoons during the week, the hotel hosted a group of local students for a 2 hour visit to the pool. We realized that the hotel is also part of the community and that this was part of the community spirit, so we weren't bothered by it. We were usually doing other things then anyway, and the other pool was available if we really wanted to swim.

We loved being where we were, right in front of Lydgate park and right next to Kamalani playground - we spent a lot of time in both places. It was so convenient! There is a lovely walking path through the park that continues on, paralleling the beach. We strolled that path many mornings, a wonderful way to wake up! Caught some GREAT sunrises from the pool area too!

We decided to avail ourselves of the laundry - note that it costs about $4 to wash/dry one load of clothes, but the machines are large capacity. 2 of the 4 washers and 1 of the 4 dryers were broken down when we went to wash; unfortunately, we chose a pretty popular time and there were many people there, wanting to wash - we had to queue up because only 2 washers were functioning, but no biggie for us. I got all our stuff washed and dried and was pleased.

We were very happy with our stay and recommend this hotel to families whose primary focus is to be out and about, taking in the beauty of the island!

Rowland Heights, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2005

I booked 3 rooms through Bookit[-]. Bookit[-]'s fax to Aloha Beach was misaligned and the hotel assumed that I have reserved only one room. It took me 1 hour at the front desk to straighten things out and the rooms were not next to each other. I asked the hotel and Bookit[-] to provide me with 2 days of free breakfast to compensate for their mistakes. Both the hotel and Bookit[-] refused. You have to check out beach towels at the front desk, which is a hassle. Service at the front desk is poor. Watch out for jellyfish at the beach.

• Stayed June 2005
Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2005

We arrived only to discover the bed was not King size but a double bed for 2 adults. The cottage was filthy with stains on the carpet and sticky soda stains on the dining table and night stand near the bed. The room had silverfish, ants and cockroaches. We were promised a kitchenette and found only a sink,half size under counter refrigerator and a small (dorm size) mircowave. The bath towels were thin and small. In an attempt to appease us the management offered to buy us breakfast everyday. We found the breakfast buffet unsavory and preferred not to eat at the hotel. We hated going back to the room at the end of the day. The sofa was so old and soft we almost sank to the floor when we sat in it.
The night we checked in we went to sleep and were awakended at 9:50PM by the monthly Reggae concert that went on until 2:00AM. The front desk never mentioned that this would be happening that evening. The resort is over-run with wild chickens. We were awakened EVERY morning at 5:30AM by the crowing of a group of roosters. As we were leaving the island one of the natives at the airport asked us where we stayed and why we were so unhappy with the hotel. We gave the name and they laughed and said, "Oh--that's where the locals stay when they come over from another island."---This whole experience was a bad timeshare exchange with Shell Vacation Club.

• Stayed April 2005
Wilmette, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2005

I stayed at the Aloha Beach Resort from June 12 to 17, 2005. I had a corner, ocean view room, with two large beds. The room was nicely furnished, clean and comfortable. A balcony would have been great, but none of the rooms have balconies or terraces. There are large sliding doors with screens, so you can leave them open and get a great view of the crashing surf. I was visiting my 21 year old daughter, who lives on the island and we spent most of our time away from the hotel. So luxury was not needed. For the price, this resort is a real bargain with the fifth night free! It is close to many lovely sights, including the wonderful Smith's Tropical Paradise, for a memorable luau. The Inn is not actually in Kapa'a, but is a close drive. There are many cute restaurants and shops in Kapa'a, which should not be missed. I found the grounds to be not that great and the crowing roosters are a real pain. But I was told this is a problem everywhere in Kauai, even in the most upscale resorts!

The staff was incredibly friendly and very accommodating. After I checked in and found I was on the ground floor, they moved me immediately to the top floor with a corner view at no extra charge. The hotel is easy to get to from Lihue Airport and also a central locale to see sights. The beach has a protected "swimming pool" surrounded by rocks. Lots of fish and good snorkeling. Lydgate Park has many picnic tables and shade, which is great.

All in all, a great place for travelers on a budget, but don't expect tropical pools with water slides, etc. Very basic accommodations. It used to be a Holiday Inn and has that feeling, but the lobby and entrance are very pleasing. It was nicer than I expected.

• Stayed June 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2005

Situated on a hill looking directly into a city park and the Ocean this is the only hotel on the island with an early Hawaiian sacred site on the premises.The General Manager,Mr.Ronald T.Kikumoto gives informal presentations on Hawaiian culture 3 times weekly.We enjoyed His talk and obvious love for his people and their achievements.He supplements his talk with artifacts and concludes it with a segment on modern day Kauai.If like my wife and I you like to get a feel for the culture and history of the places you visit this is the place to be.In addition to this free presentation the resort also conducts fee based activites like a sunrise chant on the beach and Hawaiian craft classes.The staff is courteous and attentive.My wife had picked up a nasty respiratory thing and was having trouble breathing.When I discussed this with the desk clerk the next morning she immediately suggested a room with better ventilation and relocated us to a room with a partial ocean views with a sliding glass door to let in the gentle breezez,at no extra cost.In an market with where Hotels can charge pretty much what they wish they extend very reasonable rates on a space available basis to military families.This is not the flashiest resort but is well maintained and has a heart.You will be comfortable here.

Ashburn, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2005

Stayed at Aloha Beach Resort for 3 nights. It was a great stay. Definitely an above average hotel but with a few improvements, it can be be a "luxury" resort.

Positives:
- There's a beach/park in back of the hotel. We did some of our best snorkeling in Hawaii on that beach! Hotel also sells fish food ($3). The park in the back also has lots of picnic tables and a giant playground for kids.
- Rooms were sizeable.
- Has a (1) tennis court. Hotel website also says it has shuffleboard. Shuffleboard is basically an extension of the tennis hard court.
- Hotel allows you free use of their beach mats, tennis rackets, and probably shuffleboard equiptment.
- We noticed that the resort had some detached cottages. Great for couples! Overall, the whole resort was in a secuded area.
- Free breakfast after your first night stay.
- Expedia desk onsite for activities.
- Free coffee each morning.
- Great value (~$100/night - garden view).
- Free parking.

Negatives:
- They have a luau onsite (advertised as the "Best Luau in Kauai" though we didn't do it). Oftentimes when we came back from our busy day, the parking lot was almost full. But we always managed to get the last spot.
- A roster wakes you up in the mornings!

• Stayed May 2005

Been to Aston Aloha Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!