“Good location, but...” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Kapaa
OKLAHOMA
“Good location, but...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

There are very big differences between the room types and the locations. We had booked a garden view room 2 double beds and when we got to the room, the air wasn't working (it was 85 & blowing hot air). Maintenance guy said to give it time. Problem is: I don't sweat. Literally, I don't sweat. Sounds like a good thing but it's not. Sweat is how your body cools itself off, so I was cooking. I went down to the front desk to get a fan. But there was Shar, and she said that was nonsense! She moved us to another room in another wing pronto. Difference between rooms: 1st was a garden view with a tub/shower, 2nd was a pool view with a shower only but also a room large enough for a sofa plus the 2 dbl beds. AND THE AIR WORKED! The grounds are very pretty. The turn into the hotel from the airport is very easy to miss.

The reasons I only gave this property a 3 are: parking SUCKS! hot water isn't that hot, and what they call a laundry facility at a property this size is a joke (1 washer/1 dryer for the entire place). While the beach is very close, and has a nice protected area for swimming & snorkling, it's not actually part of the hotel - it's a state or city park but the hotel claims it as part of their amenities. Also, they give you a ticket for a continental breakfast - it consists of a danish, a pineapple spear, and a piece of mango. But they will give you eggs and bacon for $7 more per person... Mattresses aren't very good either.

Bottom line, I think we'll look for a condo the next time.

Room Tip: If you want a tub, get a room in the Maille bldg. If you want a larger room with only a shower, get...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Redlands, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

Staying in this area of the island lets you easily go north or south for the day. It's just a few minutes to town for food, restaurants, shopping, snorkel gear, etc. From this hotel, it is like a football field's length walk down the slope to Lydgate Park Beach. Awesome! The lobby is open and lovely. The help is very nice. There are two pools, which I thought were not very inviting: no shade, lots of concrete, no ambience. The hallways are kind of run down. The rooms are kind of dated but are adequate (we were out all day anyway and only slept there), and it was nice having a little fridge. We had a room with a GREAT view of the ocean! The TV's are awful, but the hotel tries to make up for that by giving you a card that lets you check out DVD's from the machine for free. If you are looking for luxury or plan to spend a lot of time in your hotel room, this is probably not the place for you. If you are looking for basic cleanliness and amenities in a place to sleep for the night with a good location and a reasonable price, I think you will be happy. We thought this place was a great value and would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
mountain green, utah
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I wasn't going to write a review but after reading several reviews and unbelievably some positive reviews and seeing the manager answer every negative one with the same copy and paste response (I appreciate your taking the time to advise us of your dissatisfaction, which is the first step towards improvement of our services. Please accept our deepest apologizes for the inconvenience you have encountered during your last stay in at the Aston Aloha Beach Hotel). I decided I must post. I have to agree with the person who posted this place is a single star up from the hotel boarded up and partially burned up the street and is ready for a bulldozer. In fact I even told my wife several times during our stay that the building is in such a poor state of repair they should bulldoze and rebuild. I am shocked Aston has their name on this place. It reminds me of several way past their prime motels I have seen before.
We stayed at this facility over the 4th of July Holiday. Upon checkin it was dark and seemed fine in the lobby. We arrived in the evening and we were put in the Maile wing I believe. As we made our way down the hallway I started getting concerned. Once we opened the door to our room I knew we had made a mistake. The doors are hard to open. The carpets are stained. The bathroom fixtures are rusty and we could barely get the shower to turn on and then it was almost impossible to turn off. The A/C vents are heavily rusted. The towels are too thin. The bathtub was stained. The place was very dusty. We could barely see out the sliding glass door which didn't operate and the screen kept falling off. The fridge was old as was the TV. The furniture was outdated and really poorly arranged. The bed was lumpy and the pillows too thin. In reality the room needed to be totally gutted and remodeled, up to and including replacing all bath fixtures and tiles. My wife broke out the ipad and immediately started looking up other places to stay. Right then we knew why they immediately charged the full stay on your credit card upon arrival. I read on here that the Maile wing was upgraded and if that's the case either our room was missed or the rest of the hotel wasn't livable. I won't go into the "free" breakfast because it is a one time go and you will eat somewhere else if you want a good breakfast. Speaking of the restaurant, we sat out on the deck but the tables weren't very clean and it was in disrepair also. The pool closet to our wing was the only one we went to. It looks ok upon first glance but has hundreds of missing tiles on the bottom. The pool towels should be out by the pool but they are not. The location of the hotel is its strong point but it is sad that they have let it deteriorate to its present state. I will also say the staff was very friendly. It isn't worth the $30 to $50 bucks a night you saved to stay there. Do yourself a favor and spend the money on some place else.

Since you last stayed back in 2012 we have had many changes occur. We have recently completed upgrades to our Maile Wing with new Plush Serta beds and linen, our dining room has replaced and updated with new lighting and our pool and spa has a brand new motor. The Cottages received new AC units for the living room and

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
AlohaBeach4Manager, Manager at Aston Aloha Beach Hotel, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Well, lets start by saying that we are not a 5 star accommodation at this point, and we completely agree with you that our television sets are outdated; however, our team has upgraded the Maile wing to include new beds, linen and towels, but it sounds like our team fell short in providing these items to you; therefore, we will focus our attention on training our employees to ensure these new Maile wing items are not substituted for the Pikake wing items.
We are very pleased that you rated our service a level 3 and you stated that our staff was “very friendly”,. This makes us feel very good, because the Supervisors do their best to train all of our employees, but we will continue to train because you are not supposed to have thin towels. These are items that should have been removed from inventory, and for this we apologize.
In addition, we are very pleased you rated the location, at a level 5, the highest level. Now that the new Wailua bridge construction is 100% complete, our guests have the benefit of traveling to/from Wailua and the different shores of Kauai, without the inconvenience of the construction over the last two years.
Lastly, we are actively working with ownership to seek approval on new capital upgrades and Aston has put together a master plan that we are hopeful to receive approval on in late 2013 and or early 2014.
We invite you to call the front desk during your stay so that we can do our best to satisfy your needs. If we are fortunate to have you return to Kauai, we are hopeful you will call us directly, so we can brief you on the upgrades since your last visit.
Mountain Green, Utah, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

You get what you pay for! I picked this hotel for price but it was old, rundown, dirty and in a sad state of disrepair. It's sad to see how this property has been let go. The location is fantastic, but the building is rusting away, carpets are worn out, furnishing are stained, it was dark and dingy and poorly decorated. Could barely turn the bathroom faucet on and off, there was a non-skid bath matt that had someone else's hair tangled on it hanging near my clean towels. Dust on the coffee cups. I found some cereal on the floor so it hadn't been vacuumed. We had a refrigerator in the room that was rusty. We had an ocean view with a sliding door that wouldn't slide and the window was dirty so it wasn't pleasant to look through. Tiles were coming off of the pool near our room. I got the over 50 rate, (an average of $119 a night), maybe they meant the room was over 50 years old? Next time I'll pay a little more and won't feel like I've spent over $100 bucks a night to stay in the Ghetto by the beach.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
AlohaBeach4Manager, Manager at Aston Aloha Beach Hotel, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay. It is clear that we did not meet your expectations, and for this we apologize. Please be assured that we are responding to your concerns.
Our housekeeping and maintenance department have been made aware of the concerns and we have made changes to the operation to ensure inspections are completed prior to guest arrivals. In addition, we have started our search for a new Executive Housekeeper who will help us manage cleaning standards and orrect these issues.
We are a modest priced hotel and have worked on upgrades to our resort with new beds, linen, Wi-Fi for our entire property, lighting in our dining room and new AC units for our cottages. We agree that there are many projects that need to be addressed and we continue to work with Ownership and to improve the property.

We truly apologize again for the inconvenience this may have caused and should your future travel include Kauai, we look forward to your return
San Anselmo, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I love this hotel, even though it's old and a bit funky. It represents a slice in time, has a beautiful location (sacred spot, actually), and the staff is very accommodating. We were given a room with two double beds, and wanted a King, so even though we had started using the room, they gave us a new one. This place is casual, a good deal for the price. The hallways/reception areas are open to the fresh air; it's always exquisitely refreshing. I am not a fan of the Overly Air Conditioned Hotel thing, being that it's such a waste of resources. Our room had a view of the River/Ocean, friendly chickens, and was quiet most of the time. My one critique was that the place looked dirty, like the white furniture by the laundry room...I wanted to clean it myself! Many areas that were white were just grimy. I'm not a clean freak, and I love the older furniture and the older, classic feel of the hotel. But a bit more obvious cleanliness would go a long way, especially in high traffic areas. I don't care so much about peeling paint, or rusty air conditioning vents (WE ARE IN THE TROPICS, PEOPLE). I think this hotel should clean up a wee bit, and showcase those beautiful quilts and fabulous Mural in the meeting room. Maybe clean up the fish ponds, too? Other ponds seem to have more "healthy" looking water for the critters. I loved the pineapple and papaya in the morning, as well as the wait staff and laughter that ensues when certain staff is around! Really a unique experience that I would gladly repeat. Mahalo!

Room Tip: I really love the Maile wing, first floor. You can literally walk out of your room onto the grass, V...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Fort Worth, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

I stayed here for the last 3 nights of our trip last summer, and was not sure about staying here again this year. It was so much more affordable to stay here than anywhere else on the island, that I just couldn't pass up on the price! I made the reservation September 2012 for my recent 11 night stay and had kept an eye on the reviews since then. Shortly before my recent trip, I almost paid several hundred dollars to switch hotels due to all of the negative reviews. I'm so GLAD I gave it a chance and saved my money (my family & I spent some of that money on a private plane ride over the island)!
Nicole checked me in when we arrived, she was super friendly and very informative (as was all of the staff during our stay). Check-in was easy & quick. The resort fee for the length of our stay was charged at check-in.
The bed was so comfortable this year, the room was much more modern. The linens were new and I REALLY noticed the difference immediately! I was SO impressed!!
We had the BEST view (Room 1212 in the Mailé wing) that we've ever had in any other hotel on our visits to Kaua'i (2011 Sheraton-Poipu and 2012 Courtyard Coconut Beach). We had a good view here last year, but this year it was even better! As mentioned in previous reviews..yes, the sliding glass door was not clean enough on the outside to get a good look outside. But, I solved that problem real quick, by just opening the sliding door. I can't imagine it being an easy task to keep the exterior glass walls clean when it faces the ocean and it rains on & off very often, almost daily.
Monica cleaned our room most of our stay and took very great care of us and kept our room nice and clean and always provided us with enough towels. We always came back to sweet notes from her (and other housekeeping employees too) we even came back to some beautiful fresh picked flowers one day.
The pool/beach towels available at the front desk were a big help when going snorkeling around the island. Be prepared to wait at the front desk, I noticed only 1 employee most evenings. I didn't mind the wait, because each staff person gave you their undivided attention, and that's why the wait was usually long. They did not rush you if you had several questions, they answered every question in detail and wanted to help in any way possible.
We had the chance to enjoy the live Hawaiian music with the free pū-pū's (very tasty egg rolls and fried rice) our first Friday there. It was hard to not shed a tear, while watching the palm trees sway in the breeze and listening to the beautiful songs that the musician was singing while he was playing his guitar outside of the restaurant.
The hotel grounds are kept up with very well. The plumeria trees and bird of paradise flowers around the property are so beautiful.
Be sure to visit Malía (I think that's her name) in the lobby, she has beautiful homemade Polynesian style bracelets, necklaces, earrings. I noticed that she was there each morning (Monday-Saturday) before 7am.
My teenage son enjoyed the pool and hot tub on 1 evening. It was so convenient to walk right over to Lydgate beach park and snorkel there almost daily.
If you are looking for an inexpensive hotel and want a comfortable place to sleep, this place is for you! If you are looking for something fancy (that comes with a fancy price), this place might not be an option to consider. I'm very happy and grateful for the excursions on the island that I was able to afford, due the money that I saved by staying here.
Please keep in mind that the Mailé wing has been updated (new mattresses), the Pikake wing has not been. I would highly recommend staying on the 2nd or 3rd floor (FREE guest laundry is on the 3rd floor). If I remember correctly, the room numbers are 4 digits. In the mailé wing if it starts with 12 you're on the 2nd floor (it's hard to explain, but no elevator is necessary) if it starts with 13 you'll be on the 3rd. 1st floor room #'s start with the number 11, it will be located downstairs and has no elevator access.
If there is anything that I can complain about is:
-a second washer & dryer on the property would be a very big help and a timesaver for guests.
-I would never consider staying ANYWHERE else in the future while visiting Kaua'i if they considered setting up a microwave for guests in the lobby ;).
I can't wait until my next visit! See ya next year Nicole, Frank, Monica & Malía and the rest of the staff. Mahalo for all of your aloha!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Manteca,CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Location was awesme! price was awesome! Staff was awesome!.gonna stay the again this summer,love this place.......rooms were clean and restocked daily....I'm a plain average joe,I dont like fancy stuff but no run down places either.My wife and i love this place...

Room Tip: Rooms dont have any microwaves,but they let me use one at the bar,no problem.staff is great!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Aston Aloha Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!