“Gave it a 2nd chance and I DO NOT regret it :)!” 5 of 5 stars

Aston Aloha Beach Hotel
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   3-5920 Kuhio Highway, Kapaa, Kauai, HI 96746   |
Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Kapaa
Fort Worth, TX
“Gave it a 2nd chance and I DO NOT regret it :)!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

I stayed here for the last 3 nights of our trip last summer, and was not sure about staying here again this year. It was so much more affordable to stay here than anywhere else on the island, that I just couldn't pass up on the price! I made the reservation September 2012 for my recent 11 night stay and had kept an eye on the reviews since then. Shortly before my recent trip, I almost paid several hundred dollars to switch hotels due to all of the negative reviews. I'm so GLAD I gave it a chance and saved my money (my family & I spent some of that money on a private plane ride over the island)!
Nicole checked me in when we arrived, she was super friendly and very informative (as was all of the staff during our stay). Check-in was easy & quick. The resort fee for the length of our stay was charged at check-in.
The bed was so comfortable this year, the room was much more modern. The linens were new and I REALLY noticed the difference immediately! I was SO impressed!!
We had the BEST view (Room 1212 in the Mailé wing) that we've ever had in any other hotel on our visits to Kaua'i (2011 Sheraton-Poipu and 2012 Courtyard Coconut Beach). We had a good view here last year, but this year it was even better! As mentioned in previous reviews..yes, the sliding glass door was not clean enough on the outside to get a good look outside. But, I solved that problem real quick, by just opening the sliding door. I can't imagine it being an easy task to keep the exterior glass walls clean when it faces the ocean and it rains on & off very often, almost daily.
Monica cleaned our room most of our stay and took very great care of us and kept our room nice and clean and always provided us with enough towels. We always came back to sweet notes from her (and other housekeeping employees too) we even came back to some beautiful fresh picked flowers one day.
The pool/beach towels available at the front desk were a big help when going snorkeling around the island. Be prepared to wait at the front desk, I noticed only 1 employee most evenings. I didn't mind the wait, because each staff person gave you their undivided attention, and that's why the wait was usually long. They did not rush you if you had several questions, they answered every question in detail and wanted to help in any way possible.
We had the chance to enjoy the live Hawaiian music with the free pū-pū's (very tasty egg rolls and fried rice) our first Friday there. It was hard to not shed a tear, while watching the palm trees sway in the breeze and listening to the beautiful songs that the musician was singing while he was playing his guitar outside of the restaurant.
The hotel grounds are kept up with very well. The plumeria trees and bird of paradise flowers around the property are so beautiful.
Be sure to visit Malía (I think that's her name) in the lobby, she has beautiful homemade Polynesian style bracelets, necklaces, earrings. I noticed that she was there each morning (Monday-Saturday) before 7am.
My teenage son enjoyed the pool and hot tub on 1 evening. It was so convenient to walk right over to Lydgate beach park and snorkel there almost daily.
If you are looking for an inexpensive hotel and want a comfortable place to sleep, this place is for you! If you are looking for something fancy (that comes with a fancy price), this place might not be an option to consider. I'm very happy and grateful for the excursions on the island that I was able to afford, due the money that I saved by staying here.
Please keep in mind that the Mailé wing has been updated (new mattresses), the Pikake wing has not been. I would highly recommend staying on the 2nd or 3rd floor (FREE guest laundry is on the 3rd floor). If I remember correctly, the room numbers are 4 digits. In the mailé wing if it starts with 12 you're on the 2nd floor (it's hard to explain, but no elevator is necessary) if it starts with 13 you'll be on the 3rd. 1st floor room #'s start with the number 11, it will be located downstairs and has no elevator access.
If there is anything that I can complain about is:
-a second washer & dryer on the property would be a very big help and a timesaver for guests.
-I would never consider staying ANYWHERE else in the future while visiting Kaua'i if they considered setting up a microwave for guests in the lobby ;).
I can't wait until my next visit! See ya next year Nicole, Frank, Monica & Malía and the rest of the staff. Mahalo for all of your aloha!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Manteca,CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Location was awesme! price was awesome! Staff was awesome!.gonna stay the again this summer,love this place.......rooms were clean and restocked daily....I'm a plain average joe,I dont like fancy stuff but no run down places either.My wife and i love this place...

Room Tip: Rooms dont have any microwaves,but they let me use one at the bar,no problem.staff is great!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Bakersfield
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

This is an older hotel, but it is clean. I would suggest getting rid of the carpet and putting in tile. Our only complaints would be the additonal resort fee for not much additional value, well and the fact that the safe was out of service, the ice machine was out of service, only one washer and dryer on site. Oh and the mattress was getting a little er wavy? We only ate there once for breakfast, the continental breakfast is as all other reviews stated - not much, I upgraded to scrambled eggs and bacon for seven dollars and was not impressed, the eggs were blah and runny.
All the people working there were friendly and helpful, one other little nice touch was a spot where guest left items for other guests to use on their vacation, we borrowed a snorkel mask when we lost ours, then we left an ice chest for someone else to use. You also get 2 movies and/or games each night as part of the resort fee, did notice an out of service sign there also towards the end of our stay......

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

This hotel was only one star better than the boarded up Coco Palms hotel down the street. Literally, the place has not been maintained or improved since Elvis stayed here in the summer of '56. This hotel is a prime candidate for a bulldozer. I mean, at least they could wash the windows? Our room had a view of the bay but you could not see it through the dirty windows. Other observations: no pool towels, no gift shop, no water bottles, bare minimum room amenities, overcrowded or insufficient parking, dinning facilities were sold out to a private party (probably a local event) leaving nothing for guests. I could go on, but you (should) get the idea. Unless your are a pensioner from a third world country you should SPEND the extra money and stay at the Kauai Beach Resort - the only other place in town worth staying.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
AlohaBeach4Manager, Manager at Aston Aloha Beach Hotel, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Please allow me this opportunity to apologize for any inconvenience you experienced during your stay. I appreciate your taking the time to advise us of your dissatisfaction, which is the first step towards improvement.

We are a very modest and a reasonable priced property and we pride ourselves on being a business who supports the local community; and as a result, find ourselves somewhat popular as a place to have a function.

Although not common, we closed the Palms restaurant on this particular evening for a private function; and offered all remaining guests, an alternate dinner location. We sent personal letters to each guest on arrival and to those who were already checked in; so everyone would be aware of the alternate dinner arrangement. Dinner service was offered at the food outlet known as Kahanu’s, however it appears you didn’t receive this notification, and for this, we deeply apologize.

In the future, in addition to sending personal letters to each and every guest; we will have a lobby bulletin board that will help advise guests that dinner for the evening is being served at the poolside location known as Kahanu Bar and Grill for their convenience.

Also, we are hopeful that you will return, and if so, please be advised that the hotel offers pool towels at the front desk for your convenience, and that we have bottled water for sale at the front desk. The table next to the front desk is a fresh water oasis stationed that is also available for every guest to enjoy, free of charge.

Thank you again for sharing your comments.

We encourage anyone who may have questions about our hotel to please feel free to contact the Aston Aloha Beach Hotel staff directly
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

If your looking to save money on your hotel room but still have a great experience, this is the place for you. The amenities are simple and the hotel is rated a 2 star but the service was great, rooms and pool were very clean. Shower is very small. Hotel is within walking distance of lydgate park which offers an enclosed swimming area. If you don't mind not having all the fancy bells and whistles this place is for you

• Stayed June 2013
Rancho Cucamonga, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

While the location is very good for the price, the rooms are outdated and musty. Something I would expect from a lower cost motel. Staff is very friendly and helpful. Entertainment at happy hour was great fun. Looked forward to a nice complementary breakfast but sure was disappointed. My wife and I were given 1 very small sweet roll TO SHARE and 4 pieces of fruit. Does that mean a single person would only be entitled to one half of a sweet roll? If you like and want to spend $7 for your free breakfast, you can get some bacon strips and a small amount of scrambled eggs. Service was so bad at breakfast that we finally had to beg for more coffee and the bill. Pool is missing plaster, iron hand rails were rusted and loose at the bottoms, and paint was peeling from the room walls. Could be a very nice place with some new paint, carpet, outside TLC and a little more effort at breakfast.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
AlohaBeach4Manager, Manager at Aston Aloha Beach Hotel, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Thank you for sharing your comments related to our “good” location, “friendly and helpful” staff and Free Aloha Friday Entertainment at Happy hour with FREE pupu’s. We offer a continental fruit platter for breakfast that has two sweet rolls and fruits, therefore we are very sorry your plate did not include two sweet rolls. We have since retrained our staff to check each platter to ensure all items are correct before serving in the future.
Our Food and Beverage manager takes pride in service and makes it a priority that each employee does the same, so thank you for bringing this situation to our attention, because we are very dedicated to additional efforts in this area.
Again, thank you for your comments, as we truly apologize for the inconvenience you experienced. We are dedicated to consistently improve while at the same time sharing our Aloha.
West Dundee, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I would like to 1st tell you we booked our trip back in January thru a travel agent. We had not been to Kauai for over 24 years. Even thou we were excited, Everyday I started reading all
the negative reviews. At one point I wanted to cancel our hotel...my husband...said "how bad
could it be....were in Kauai" so we decided to try it.....
We Are So Glad We Did!
1st Off The Lobby Was Warm And Inviting, The Grounds Breath Taking,
All That We Remembered Kauai To Be And More!
Aston Aloha offers an affordable hotel with all the amenities, clean comfortable, friendly and
helpful staff. It has 2 pools with a Jacuzzi...Our Junior Suite was an upgrade overlooking Lydgate beach/park....Every morning we woke up to paradise! Our suite sized our family just
fine...2 adults and our sons Alex (11 1/2) and Brando (10). They swam 3 x's a day...and enjoyed
playing games and watching movies all included in our stay! We were always greeted in the
front lobby with friendly smiles and fresh water with lemon or other fruits...My boys learned an
Hawaiian word everyday that was written on the counter! they had computers with internet
if needed to use or make copies! We walked on a bridge everyday overlooking a waterfall
and fish swimming around and the view was just paradise! We did not spend a lot of time in the room, but when we were there we loved it! the negative reviews of the pool being outdated..
well having a inground, choice of 2...my Gosh what more could you ask for....it was just fine!
We stayed in Kauai for 12 days!!! As far as roosters...there were more 24 years ok, it was a pleasure and they were not a bother at all. If your looking for a 5 star hotel...with over fees...
then go for it....but as far as me and my family we will be staying here again....We Loved IT!
It's simplicity is what we loved and remembered Kauai to be. Lets talk the grounds you could not ask for more...located close to airport, kappa, and all the main restaurants...overlooking
Lydgate Beach...great for snorkeling and safe swimming.
Maholo,maholo,maholo To:
Rhonda and Moala...always greeting us and the front desk!

Sandy helping with bags and luggage greeting us and shooting the breese when
at the pool.

Hermy - our cleaning lady so sweet and did such a great job.
Maholo for all that you did!
We Left a Piece Of Our Hearts In Kauai...and they Will Always be remembered & thought Of Very kindly!

We did not experience a unkind staff. Don't believe what you read all the time!
I am telling you the truth ! you don't have to believe me but please if in doubt just
try it!

I am as picky as they come, I was happy with the hotel, staff, grounds and pool1
the food and drinks were very good too! It's a very kid friendly and couple hotel!
It is affordable so you have more money to spend on eachother. We experienced
a clean, comfortable, beautiful grounds and great place to stay.

As far as some comments about a foul odor....we experienced none...when driving up to
Lydgate beach...there is a faint smell...nothing to worry about. If you love this island like we
do then you will enjoy it for what it is....Layed back, gorgeous Beauty of the ocean and mountains, Embracing the roosters, being happy, hanging loose as they say in Hawaii,
MAholo,
From the Bottom of our Hearts!

Aloha,
Alex,Fran
Alex & Brando
Room 2118

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to Aston Aloha Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!