“Great place to stay!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Kapaa
Rogers, Arkansas, United States
“Great place to stay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

I have to say this was a very good place to stay. After reading some of the reviews I was a little skeptical but glad I went with my instinct. This hotel is on a family friendly swimming beach. The pool/snack bar was excellent also. The lady working it was very nice. It is also in a great location on the island close to everything. The bed was very comfortable. We will definitely stay here again. We drove the whole island the first few days and ended up staying at the hotel the last 3 days we were there because of the nice beach area. We also rented a few movies every night while winding down from all the hiking and swimming. The movie selection is great with a lot of newer movies. On Friday afternoon they have free appetizers that are delicious at the hotel restauraunt. The only bad thing was the free continental breakfast. It was a little pastry with a slice of cantelope. I would suggest going to the Kountry Kitchen which has an awesome breakfast. If you are on a budget and want a nice hotel then this is the place for you. Oh and the roosters are everywhere on the island so I wouldn't worry about that being an issue.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Ewa Beach, Hawaii, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

Didn't expect much due to the negative posts BUT what people don't understand is that YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. Yes it's an older hotel with old furnishing BUT it did its job for a place to stay. The bed was the most comfortable bed I've EVER slept on - and I have had my share of low & high quality hotel rooms. Unlike other reviews - I did catch wi-fi from my room with no problem. I could not hear roosters from my room & I was on the ground floor - maybe other people left their sliding door open that's how they could hear the roosters?! My kids had no complaints about the pool. The DVD rental machine couldn't read my free rental card but i just let the front desk know and the problem was fixed. My only complaints are: the $15.00 per night amenity fee should be optional. The refrigerator was a little noisy at night - but not too bad. The ice machine & in room safe was broken. The fitness center is in desperate need of an update..Over all - I would come back again and recommend Aston Aloha to my friends.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

From the pictures, the Aston Aloha looks very nice with great views, decks, amenities, ect. It was actually very run down and unclean. One of the two beds in our room did not have clean sheets, the paint on the walls was peeling, there was rust on the air vent that was so bad it looked like mold, the ponds and the pools were not clean and the staff was not accommodating. They also charge an extra $15/day for wifi, a continental breakfast (consists of half a piece of fruit and toast, buffet costs $12). When we let the front desk know about the dirty bed and asked if we could switch to something, they said no and did nothing. We left the next morning and came back to a half clean room: didn't finish making the beds (left the comforters folded on the couch for us to put on) didn't leave clean coffee mugs and refills the supplies, and they didn't vacuum. We were so frustrated and appalled with the service and state of the hotel that we checked out that day and ate the cost of the hotel. I was so ready to be out of that place that I didn't even care that we did not get refunded for the rooms. Also, this hotel is far away from everything fun to do on the island. Spend the extra money and get a better hotel!!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
AlohaBeach4Manager, Manager at Aston Aloha Beach Hotel, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Please allow me this opportunity to deeply apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced during your stay at The Aston Aloha Beach Hotel. I appreciate your taking the time to advise us of your dissatisfaction, which is the first step towards improvement.

We are saddened to hear that we fell short in our department service with HSKP, Maintenance and Front Desk. I am sorry that this was not brought directly to the attention of the Manager on Duty where we could have addressed and corrected some of your concerns right away.

We have a $15.00 Amenity Fee that provides our guest with daily in-room Hawaiian coffee, a newspaper that is promptly delivered to your door at dawn each morning, an in-room Play Station DVD system with unlimited DVD rental of games and current movies.

The Amenity fee also includes a brand new WiFi system that our ownership arranged to install in February, 2013. The state of the art system allows each guest to access internet services in the privacy of their own guest room, or allows each guest to roam throughout each and every area of the property, including the Maile & Pikake pool courtyards, dining facilities and lobby areas.

Safety deposit box usage and FREE PARKING is also included in the Amenity Fee, and yes, a modest “Continental fruit plate” is served to each and every guest; each morning with unlimited coffee to help you begin your Kauai day.

We are very centrally located in the middle of the island with many activities right at the location of our property such as, water skiing, boat rides, hiking, biking, surfing, paddle boarding and fishing. We do have an activity desk on our property that opens daily until 5pm. They will arrange all of your activity needs while you enjoy a delicious full plated FREE breakfast.

Thank you again for sharing your comments.

We encourage you if you may have questions about our resort to please feel free to contact the Aston Aloha Beach Hotel Management directly
Coral Springs, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

My wife and I enjoyed our recent stay at the Aston Aloha Beach Hotel. The hotel itself is only about 5 1/2 miles away from Lihue Airport and very close to the old town section of Kapaa. The service was excellent and friendly which went a long way towards our feeling comfortable in the surroundings. If you like to take walks or a long jog, there is a really nice paved walking route all around the property down to the beach area and the view from the property is really spectacular. It is also a short walk down to the beach area which contains a few tidepools ideal for safe snorkeling. Also, the hotel is almost within walking distance of the "Smith Family Farm Luau" which is a nice way to spend an evening, touring its gardens and facilities.

In terms of the room itself, we had a nice king bed on which we slept well and overall the room was spacious, well-appointed and clean so we really had no complaints, other than the fact that the shower area was quite small...

The only drawback was the adjoining restaurant called "The Palms" where we ventured in for breakfast. The menu was extremely limited in terms of breakfast offerings and the free continental breakfast was very sparse, even within this classification. I would either temper your expectations or just go into town for a real breakfast.

Other than that though, a good stay was had here and I would come back!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

I was pretty skeptical staying here after all of the negative reviews. However, upon check in we were upgraded to one of the one bedroom cottages. All of the front desk employees we had interactions with were very friendly and efficient. As for the $15 a day resort fee, I think it is a bit high but you do get a small breakfast, newspaper, movies, and parking. The cost of the room is low already so another $15 a day isn't all that bad.

The location is a big plus as well. You are basically in the middle of the island, about an hour to each end. Also, Lydgate Beach is at your doorstep. It is a nice beach to take the kids and let them swim or learn how to snorkel.

The chickens are all over the property; but they are everywhere on Kauai. They didn't bother us at all.

All in all you get what you pay for. If you are expecting luxary then this isn't the place for you. But if you need a decent place to lie your head than it will work. We weren't in the room all that much, you don't go to Hawaii to spend the day in your room. Aloha and mahalo Aston Aloha.

• Stayed May 2013
American Fork, Utah
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This is an OK hotel for a two star, not anything more. Beware, they charge you an extra $15.62 per night for a "hotel fee." They didn't say why, and no other hotel charges it. For the extra cost, you can find plenty of nicer hotels, so they charge less until you get here. The hotel is older; our room was spacious, which was nice, but the TV is 15 or 20 years old, and had lines running through the screen; not a biggie if you don't care to watch. The rooms have sliding doors, but they are secured shut, which was disappointing. I don't think they have ever cleaned them from the outside. The rooms were very clean, though the bed was also old and sloped in the middle, with thin pillows. The fridge was nice though and was quiet. Don't bother with the " Free Continental Breakfast." It consists of a 2 inch danish and two very thin slices of fruit. And they will expect you to tip for it. They expect you to pay $7 more for the ''Full Continental," which gets you cereal and milk. I don't think anything hot. If you want a hot breakfast, you can sit through a 90 min. tourist presentation.

This was a disappointment, compared to the Aston Islander on the Beach hotel/condos, which are 4 -5 stars. I figured with the name, it should be a lot nicer than this. If you are expecting a two star hotel, and you know you'll have to pay nearly $16 more per night, then you're OK, but I would check out other hotels first.

Room Tip: If You do book a room here, make sure to get one in the Maile wing. It is the only one refurbished.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
AlohaBeach4Manager, Manager at Aston Aloha Beach Hotel, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Thank you for providing us the opportunity to clarify our hotel programs, including our breakfast programs, because the last thing we want is to give you the feeling of “Bait and Switch”. We also want to thank you very much for recommending our Maile Wing that we have recently upgraded with new Serta beds, terry towels and bed linen.

Safety deposit box usage and FREE PARKING is also included in the Amenity Fee, and yes, a modest “Continental fruit plate” is served to each and every guest, each morning with unlimited coffee to help you begin your Kauai day.

For those guests who chose to compliment their “Continental fruit plate”, with something more substantial; we offer a modest $7.00 upgrade to include 2 scrambled eggs, 2 slices of crispy bacon and a healthy portion of breakfast potatoes with green bell pepper and onion.

For those guests who chose to compliment the “Continental Fruit Plate” with a full breakfast buffet, we have a reasonable $12.00 upgrade option available.

Some guests chose to order an entrée from our full breakfast menu. Two of the most popular items are the Hawaiian Sweet Bread French Toast and our Island Style Pancakes, both priced in the $8.00 to $9.00 range.

Thank you for mentioning that we offer a “Hot breakfast: and a 90 minute presentation. Please allow me to clarify that this is a “:FREE” breakfast and a Kauai Island Orientation. This program includes a hearty portion of scrambled eggs, bacon, toast, pineapple, breakfast potatoes, unlimited coffee and juice.

Our FREE breakfast is available to every guest on the first morning following their arrival. This is an optional breakfast program during the Kauai Island Orientation. This program is designed for those guests who would like more information about Kauai; and would like to hear about all the exciting Island activities. Our Concierge are professional and they share their knowledge on the Island and Culture with each guest during breakfast. If anyone is in need of assistance with activities, or needs information on how to reserve discounted activities, this is the place to get all your questions answered because each guest receives personal service.

Aston Aloha Beach Hotel Manager Lastly, thank you for mentioning about our Amenity Fee and comparing it with other properties. In some neighboring property comparisons, you will find most charge a resort fee or a parking charge. In rare examples, some properties charge for both services.

We thank you again for bring this to our attention and welcome anyone with questions to feel free to contact us directly.

Mahalo and Aloha
Honolulu, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Yes this hotel is not a 5 star hotel, however, the ammenities that I was awarded with left the biggest and most love impression of all. I was born in Lihue, then moved to the city Honolulu. However, my heart has always remained in Kauai. It's lush splendor, the quaint places that are unchanged by human greed, has Blessed this precious ilsand and it's people in so many ways. When I checked in I was greeted with the first question asked, where are you from? Then when I said I was returning home for a visit, that's all it took. Lover poured out. My favorite place to settle in and relax in the morning, the Palms Restaurant. I got to know the hostesses that served you for breakfast very well. They personalized your visit as well, by greeting you with a Warm Greeting followed by your name. That I found nice! They also knew what you would start off your morning with to the detail. When not sure of what you would enjoy for breakfast always a suggestion followed. I also enjoyed dinner there, the amibiance with seating outside to watch the sun set, and the moon set was outstanding. I wanted a relaxing atmosphere, not a stay at a hotel that was like fine dining, that you can get anytime, anywhere, if you take the time to search where you want to be and what you want. It's the people that make that island still fresh and pure in it's splendor. For me the Five Days that I stayed was the most fabulous time! It's changed so much since I was last there, and Kapaa seems to be where you find everything at a moments whim. It's not a five star hotel, but I give it a Ten Star Rating, because of it's Staff, they make you feel as us Kamaaina's say E KOMO MAI, and when we leave everyone I had the pleasure of meeting who serviced me said, A Hui Hou (Till We Meet Again) it's never goodbye, for you always leave a bit of yourself in kauai, especially your heart.

Room Tip: This is a personal rating, because it's what you the guest have in mind. I had the garden side...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Been to Aston Aloha Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!