“Solid Resort Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 12 hotels in Kapaa
Coral Springs, Florida
“Solid Resort Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

My wife and I enjoyed our recent stay at the Aston Aloha Beach Hotel. The hotel itself is only about 5 1/2 miles away from Lihue Airport and very close to the old town section of Kapaa. The service was excellent and friendly which went a long way towards our feeling comfortable in the surroundings. If you like to take walks or a long jog, there is a really nice paved walking route all around the property down to the beach area and the view from the property is really spectacular. It is also a short walk down to the beach area which contains a few tidepools ideal for safe snorkeling. Also, the hotel is almost within walking distance of the "Smith Family Farm Luau" which is a nice way to spend an evening, touring its gardens and facilities.

In terms of the room itself, we had a nice king bed on which we slept well and overall the room was spacious, well-appointed and clean so we really had no complaints, other than the fact that the shower area was quite small...

The only drawback was the adjoining restaurant called "The Palms" where we ventured in for breakfast. The menu was extremely limited in terms of breakfast offerings and the free continental breakfast was very sparse, even within this classification. I would either temper your expectations or just go into town for a real breakfast.

Other than that though, a good stay was had here and I would come back!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

572 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

I was pretty skeptical staying here after all of the negative reviews. However, upon check in we were upgraded to one of the one bedroom cottages. All of the front desk employees we had interactions with were very friendly and efficient. As for the $15 a day resort fee, I think it is a bit high but you do get a small breakfast, newspaper, movies, and parking. The cost of the room is low already so another $15 a day isn't all that bad.

The location is a big plus as well. You are basically in the middle of the island, about an hour to each end. Also, Lydgate Beach is at your doorstep. It is a nice beach to take the kids and let them swim or learn how to snorkel.

The chickens are all over the property; but they are everywhere on Kauai. They didn't bother us at all.

All in all you get what you pay for. If you are expecting luxary then this isn't the place for you. But if you need a decent place to lie your head than it will work. We weren't in the room all that much, you don't go to Hawaii to spend the day in your room. Aloha and mahalo Aston Aloha.

• Stayed May 2013
American Fork, Utah
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This is an OK hotel for a two star, not anything more. Beware, they charge you an extra $15.62 per night for a "hotel fee." They didn't say why, and no other hotel charges it. For the extra cost, you can find plenty of nicer hotels, so they charge less until you get here. The hotel is older; our room was spacious, which was nice, but the TV is 15 or 20 years old, and had lines running through the screen; not a biggie if you don't care to watch. The rooms have sliding doors, but they are secured shut, which was disappointing. I don't think they have ever cleaned them from the outside. The rooms were very clean, though the bed was also old and sloped in the middle, with thin pillows. The fridge was nice though and was quiet. Don't bother with the " Free Continental Breakfast." It consists of a 2 inch danish and two very thin slices of fruit. And they will expect you to tip for it. They expect you to pay $7 more for the ''Full Continental," which gets you cereal and milk. I don't think anything hot. If you want a hot breakfast, you can sit through a 90 min. tourist presentation.

This was a disappointment, compared to the Aston Islander on the Beach hotel/condos, which are 4 -5 stars. I figured with the name, it should be a lot nicer than this. If you are expecting a two star hotel, and you know you'll have to pay nearly $16 more per night, then you're OK, but I would check out other hotels first.

Room Tip: If You do book a room here, make sure to get one in the Maile wing. It is the only one refurbished.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
AlohaBeach4Manager, Manager at Aston Aloha Beach Hotel, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Thank you for providing us the opportunity to clarify our hotel programs, including our breakfast programs, because the last thing we want is to give you the feeling of “Bait and Switch”. We also want to thank you very much for recommending our Maile Wing that we have recently upgraded with new Serta beds, terry towels and bed linen.

We have a $15.00 Amenity Fee that provides our guest with daily in-room Hawaiian coffee, a newspaper that is promptly delivered to your door at dawn each morning, an in-room Play Station DVD system with unlimited DVD rental of games and current movies.

The Amenity fee also includes a brand new WiFi system that our ownership arranged to install in February, 2013. The state of the art system allows each guest to access internet services in the privacy of their own guest room, or allows each guest to roam throughout each and every area of the property, including the Maile & Pikake pool courtyards, dining facilities and lobby areas.

Safety deposit box usage and FREE PARKING is also included in the Amenity Fee, and yes, a modest “Continental fruit plate” is served to each and every guest, each morning with unlimited coffee to help you begin your Kauai day.

For those guests who chose to compliment their “Continental fruit plate”, with something more substantial; we offer a modest $7.00 upgrade to include 2 scrambled eggs, 2 slices of crispy bacon and a healthy portion of breakfast potatoes with green bell pepper and onion.

For those guests who chose to compliment the “Continental Fruit Plate” with a full breakfast buffet, we have a reasonable $12.00 upgrade option available.

Some guests chose to order an entrée from our full breakfast menu. Two of the most popular items are the Hawaiian Sweet Bread French Toast and our Island Style Pancakes, both priced in the $8.00 to $9.00 range.

Thank you for mentioning that we offer a “Hot breakfast: and a 90 minute presentation. Please allow me to clarify that this is a “:FREE” breakfast and a Kauai Island Orientation. This program includes a hearty portion of scrambled eggs, bacon, toast, pineapple, breakfast potatoes, unlimited coffee and juice.

Our FREE breakfast is available to every guest on the first morning following their arrival. This is an optional breakfast program during the Kauai Island Orientation. This program is designed for those guests who would like more information about Kauai; and would like to hear about all the exciting Island activities. Our Concierge are professional and they share their knowledge on the Island and Culture with each guest during breakfast. If anyone is in need of assistance with activities, or needs information on how to reserve discounted activities, this is the place to get all your questions answered because each guest receives personal service.

Aston Aloha Beach Hotel Manager Lastly, thank you for mentioning about our Amenity Fee and comparing it with other properties. In some neighboring property comparisons, you will find most charge a resort fee or a parking charge. In rare examples, some properties charge for both services.

We thank you again for bring this to our attention and welcome anyone with questions to feel free to contact us directly.

Mahalo and Aloha
Honolulu, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Yes this hotel is not a 5 star hotel, however, the ammenities that I was awarded with left the biggest and most love impression of all. I was born in Lihue, then moved to the city Honolulu. However, my heart has always remained in Kauai. It's lush splendor, the quaint places that are unchanged by human greed, has Blessed this precious ilsand and it's people in so many ways. When I checked in I was greeted with the first question asked, where are you from? Then when I said I was returning home for a visit, that's all it took. Lover poured out. My favorite place to settle in and relax in the morning, the Palms Restaurant. I got to know the hostesses that served you for breakfast very well. They personalized your visit as well, by greeting you with a Warm Greeting followed by your name. That I found nice! They also knew what you would start off your morning with to the detail. When not sure of what you would enjoy for breakfast always a suggestion followed. I also enjoyed dinner there, the amibiance with seating outside to watch the sun set, and the moon set was outstanding. I wanted a relaxing atmosphere, not a stay at a hotel that was like fine dining, that you can get anytime, anywhere, if you take the time to search where you want to be and what you want. It's the people that make that island still fresh and pure in it's splendor. For me the Five Days that I stayed was the most fabulous time! It's changed so much since I was last there, and Kapaa seems to be where you find everything at a moments whim. It's not a five star hotel, but I give it a Ten Star Rating, because of it's Staff, they make you feel as us Kamaaina's say E KOMO MAI, and when we leave everyone I had the pleasure of meeting who serviced me said, A Hui Hou (Till We Meet Again) it's never goodbye, for you always leave a bit of yourself in kauai, especially your heart.

Room Tip: This is a personal rating, because it's what you the guest have in mind. I had the garden side...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Salem, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

I have been meaning to write this for a couple years..but thought I would give the hotel the benefit of time to make some changes. --I see by the reviews that nothing has changed, and wanted to warn others. The pictures must be old or photo shopped.

I visit the islands once or twice a year and have never stayed @ an Aston before, booked my flight through HA and was sent to this hotel site. (shame on HA--I trusted them.)
To start..staff was rude and made me feel the were doing me a favor by ever talking to me. I was being bitten alive by mosquitos and staff said I should buy some spray because the ponds are only turned on weekends (stagnant water was breeding them). The first room was disgusting and dirty and I felt like I was in someones garage..moved to next one and they said that was all they had and it was as dirty too.
The "kids eat free"--was hot dogs or other food such as that --only if u bought an expensive adut entrée.--.never ate there as the continental breakfast was old fruit and stale pastries. After 5 days into a 10 day stay we left and the very rude staff said "no refunds" I said fine I have to go somewhere clean. We went to a musical @ a nice hotel down the road and I found a good price online and we moved there. It was clean and friendly --we had a wonderful time @ the Kauii beach resort.
Bad memory---waste of time and money..never stay @ ANY Aston again. I was embarrassed because I booked this and my travel companions were horrified.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
AlohaBeach4Manager, Manager at Aston Aloha Beach Hotel, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Respond 5/8/13
We appreciate your taking the time to advise us of your dissatisfaction, which is the first step towards improvement of our services. Please accept our deepest apologizes for the inconvenience you have encountered during your last stay in 2012 at the Aston Aloha Beach Hotel.

Since you last stayed back in 2012 we have had many changes occur. We have recently completed upgrades to our Maile Wing with new Plush Serta beds and linen, our dining room has replaced and updated with new lighting and our pool and spa has a brand new motor. The Cottages received new AC units for the living room and bedrooms. We have submitted for changes to be done to our front desk area that will benefit our guest and employees so please watch for these changes coming soon.

We value providing excellent service to you our guest and I truly apologize that we may have missed the opportunity in providing you this service. We are saddened that our reception desk did not provide you with great service this is never our intention as we pride ourselves in excellent customer service.

Thank you for the opportunity to clarify the “kids eat free” program, and yes, it is true that all children eat free, as long as the child is accompanied by an adult that is ordering one adult meal. In addition to Hot Dogs, our “kids” menu includes Grilled Cheese Sandwiches, Hamburgers and Chicken tenders. The dinner menu adds variety including Chicken Linguine!

Our Bar and Grill (Kahanu’s) is very modestly priced ranging from $3.00 for a hot dog to $10.25 for fish and chips. Our portion servings are generous and many visitors including local visitors come to Kahanu’s to experience our friendly staff who have worked with us for several years.

Again, thank you for your comments and we want to assure you that we are dedicated to consistently improving our property

Mahalo

Management of The Aston Aloha Beach Hotel.
Seattle
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

I stayed at the Aston Aloha Beach Hotel from 4/16/13-4/21/13. I understand that this is not a 4 star. This is a budget hotel where you can see its former glory. This place needs upgrading with plenty of rust, old carpets, loud rusty air conditioners in rooms. Hair in bathroom, not mine. But the part that I did not understand is how rude the front desk was. From check in to departure the women behind the front desk were rude and more rude. They would not look me in the eye. When I approached I could tell I was interrupting and they were not happy about it. When I checked in she said we do not allow customers to do this. I shipped some goods to the hotel for business. I told her I called and got approval. She said if you had talked to me I would have said NO! At one point I thought it was something I had done, but I watched her treat other customers the same rude way. It was not just one person, it was it was all the women running the desk for five days. I left with a bad taste for this place--NO ALOHA

Room Tip: I felt like the front desk tried to give me the worst room available, but it really was not bad, not...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
AlohaBeach4Manager, Manager at Aston Aloha Beach Hotel, responded to this review, April 28, 2013
Thank you for staying with us at the Aston Aloha Beach Hotel and taking the time to comment on your experience.

We are most interested in addressing your comment about the front desk staff, and want you to know that we immediately called a department meeting to address your points of view. We pride ourselves on receiving several trip advisor comments that include positive examples about the way in which our staff provide service; and we strive to address all guests with Aloha, even if a guest is “interrupting” the staff (as you mention). Again, we were quite surprised to hear about your situation and addressed it with each person immediately.

In response to your comments about our need to upgrade the property, we are quite fortunate to have a plan that has made several recent changes, for example; we have completed the installation of beautiful new beds, linen and towels in all guest rooms the Maile wing, and have added new pool furniture and beach towels as well. The air-conditioning units on each hotel building rooftop are newly purchased 50 ton Traine Engineering systems, and the new dining room ceiling lights and guest parking lot lights are state of the art LED lighting upgrades.

We work very close with our owners and have several upgrades planned through the next two years.

We take pride in servicing our guest to the highest standard and apologize that our service level was less than perfect. Again, thank you for your comments, as we truly apologize for the inconvenience you experienced. We are dedicated to consistently improve the property and for sure servicing guests in the best possible manner with Aloha.

Please feel free to call our Manager on Duty if you have any questions.

Aloha Pumehana and Mahalo (with fond professional and personal regards and appreciation)

Management of The Aston Aloha Beach Hotel.
Halifax, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

We have just returned from a trip to Hawaii during which time we spent 4 nights at the Aston Aloha in Kauai. This was our second visit to this hotel,our previous one being 8 years ago. Road repairs were being made 8 years ago and to our surprise are ongoing still so the entering and exiting of the hotel requires a bit of patience. Yes,it is an older hotel and because it is in such a moist ,warm climate is probably subject to problems with moisture and decay but we found it to be comfortable,clean,well landscaped and above all had charming character. The moment you stepped into it ,you knew you were in an exotic place ,not some cookie cutter hotel chain.We e-mailed a request for one of 4 rooms ( if available) that I had noted in our previous visit. Our request was granted and we had a lovely clean room,spotless bathroom,beach towels from the front desk, fridge,coffee maker and a stunningly beautiful view of palm trees,surf,beach and swimming pool area.Our television worked perfectly though why would one want to watch TV other than a bit of news while in such a beautiful location ! The pool and hot tub were very clean ,the grounds well maintained and the proximity to Lydgate park with its lovely walking paths, spectacular beach , and safely enclosed swimming /snorkling area a great asset.I think the hotel setting is just about perfect. It is also within a 10 min . walking distance of several good restaurants. We enjoyed meals at a new Mexican restaurant just across the bridge as well as a very ppular Korean Barbeque one. We also noted a Brick Oven Pizza restaurant ,a Thai and an Oriental restaurant plus a bakery and coffee shop ,all in the little shopping area within a 10-15 min. stroll. The Waimea River with its kayak rentals and guided tours is also right beside the hotel.We were saddened to see the continuing decay and ruin of the famous Coco Palms resort which was damaged years ago and is now an eyesore. You pass it while walking to the restaurant area and it is very spooky looking,especially after dark.
So, I have no hesitation at all in recommending this hotel but I also have some concerns to address.. I would not want a garden room overlooking the one pond which has green algae on it as at night there are very loud croaking frogs which we could hear while walking past that area. I think their sound would be annoying and they seem to be only in that pond area.. There are roosters which wake you up at dawn but we wanted to get up early anyway so they were not a problem. The complimentary continental breakfast is inadequate ,compared to other mainland hotel chains so we did the $5 upgrade each day. I object to the daily $15 "service fee " and I spoke to a pleasant lady at the desk about this. One is told it covers DVD rental plus some games ( neither of which I would expect most of the hotel clientelle to use ),the very light continental breakfast and the "coffee in the rooms ". Most hotels have coffee without extra charge ,better breakfasts and if you know you don't want to use the Dvd's etc. one should not be charged for these. I also objected to the "complimentary parking " designation and told the desk if this were included in the $15 service fee and if they would be honest and upfront about the parking not being free,I would have less objection to the $15 fee. In Waikiki one expects to pay for parking so it would not be a surprise to have to here.
Back to a positive note, the free breakfast presentation by Pleasant Holidays resulted in us choosing a dinner sunset cruise of the Napali Coast with Kauai Seatours and it was wonderful,a highlight of our travels. I would highly recommend it.
Some of the most scenic photos of our trip were taken around the Aston Aoha with its wonderful landscaping ,charming paths,pools with koi ,bridges and well kept landscaping.And the location is perfect ! The staff were very pleasant ,helpful and courteous . We would love to return someday .

Room Tip: Opt for an ocean view . Expect roosters to crow early . Would not want to be on the lowest level or...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Aston Aloha Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!