“Felt Like Ohana” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard by Marriott Kauai at Coconut Beach

You added Courtyard by Marriott Kauai at Coconut Beach to your Saves list
Courtyard by Marriott Kauai at Coconut Beach
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   650 Aleka Loop, Kapaa, Kauai, HI 96746 (Formerly Aston Kauai Beach at Makaiwa)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Kapaa
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Felt Like Ohana”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Felt the Aloha as soon as we arrived. Staff went out of their way to make us happy. look forward to our next stay. Great location for getting to any part of the island and the airport is a few minutes away. There's a nice pool area with open air bar and restaurant on either side. It is a plus that Kapaa is within walking distance and it is close to the Coconut Market Place.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (381)
san francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is a recently renovated property that is in a great location with a great staff.
The rooms are good size and bathrooms are small but this is Kauai, who spends much time in room? Grounds are great. Bar has reasonable price food which is filling. One or two nights a week they have great entertainment. It does have a parking fee which is kinda weird but most hotel/resorts have even higher resort/parking fees

The staff is what makes this place ! You will feel like Ohana ( family)

Prescott, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012 via mobile

Rooms were big very relaxing with the beach steps away. Centrally located on the island would stay here again customer service was great had a problem with tub drain they were there in 5 mins to unclog.

• Stayed November 2012
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

As the title of my review suggests I found this hotel average. I read that the rooms were renovated, maybe it was the room I got, but i certainly didn't get that impression. The rooms were dark and dingy and on the small side. The bathroom was small too. The room was clean and in a good location for exploring Kauai. I have nothing to complain about in terms of the staff and amenities. I just wasn't fond of the room, but that may just be down to my personal taste. The hotel charged $14 per night for parking which I think is ridiculous, but we had no choice as we had a car. For what we paid for the hotel, I suppose I can't moan more than I already have!

Room Tip: Try and get a room on a higher floor
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
courtyardkauai, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Kauai at Coconut Beach, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Mahalo for your review and for your business. I'm sorry and surprised you did not find our resort way above average. Our goal is to "exceed expectations" and in this particular case we certainly did not. You are correct our renovations this past year did not include the guest rooms but they are scheduled to be refreshed very soon. I'm glad you found the staff great and your room a great value. I hope you give us another opportunity to impress you and provide the best Kauai Experience the island has to offer! Aloha
San Francisco, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

We just finished our stay and this hotel was a very nice surprise. Being a Courtyard, I didn't expect much but we got a great deal through Travelzoo for an ocean front room and after looking at the good recent reviews, I booked it. The deal was so great that we booked two rooms, asking for connecting rooms so my son could stay in one and my husband and I in the other. On arrival, we were given side by side rooms but not connecting. When I complained we were told the hotel was completely booked but we could upgrade to a suite for a small fee the following day.

The regular ocean view room is a decent size but being more than 2 people, we were cramped. The bathroom is tiny - the door opened inward and barely missed the toilet and there wasn't anymore space except for the tub. The balcony is also tiny, barely fitting the 2 chairs. I peaked into the larger, executive ocean view room and it is much roomier with a much larger balcony. The 4th floor vaulted ceilings also really made a difference. The walls are thick and the beds comfortable.

There are only 2 suites in the hotel and the one we stayed in (room 437) was great. The photos on the hotel website do not do it justice. There is a really large kitchen area (no stove but a microwave) with a granite bar area and a dining room table, couch and 2 chairs. The bedroom is separated by 2 closing doors and has a HUGE bathroom with 2 sink areas, a walkin shower and large raised jacuzzi tub. There are 2 large balconies with unobstructed ocean views. My husband and son got sick on the plane so we were very happy to have all the space and a kitchen so we could make Safeway and Starbucks runs (right down the road). The laundry and ice machine was right down the hall and parking right out the back (the $14 per day fee for parking is a rip off, though).

The rooms with big ocean views are 27-33 (odd numbers only). The executive rooms and suites look straight to the water. There are also pool view ocean rooms.

The food at the bar restaurant was very good and not too overpriced. The breakfast buffet was also very good with lots of choices (as it should be for $18) but kids eat free so it worked for us with one person ordering a la carte.

The pool is on the smaller side but the grounds were beautifully designed with private, comfy nooks to settle in. The hotel photos make it seem slightly stark but it did not feel that way, especially at night when the pool and torches were lit up. There are only 3 hammocks but lawn chairs everywhere with small trees near the beach to rest beneath.

The beach is not really swim-able but the sand is nice and at low tide or during really calm waters, you can wade in (otherwise there is a strong undertow). Also at low tide on the south side of the beach, there is a wonderful reef protected pool you can sit/wade in. It is sort of around the corner as you walk down the beach. For a couple of days we were able to watch the sun set over the mountains while my son splashed around in the protected area.

The locals seem to like the beach for surfing (out beyond the reef) and spear fishing. I saw three locals walk out of the water in full spear fishing gear with large fish and octopuses hanging from their wetsuits.

I liked this hotel because it did not feel overly crowded or touristy, it was quite and romantic at night, and there was a broad mix of people staying there. I would not pay full price for a room but if a deal comes up again, I will grab it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

We were pleasantly surprised by the quality of the hotel. Not the typical Courtyard we are accustomed to on the mainland. I believe the building was another hotel before Marriott acquired it. The room was clean and far from the Super 8 we were expecting. Bathroom was more than acceptable but it due for an update. The grounds were clean and spa-like without being overly fancy.

The central Kapaa location could not be beat. In between Waimea Canyon and Hanalei and a couple of minutes away from Wailua and the Lihue airport.

Room Tip: Rooms near the ocean have a longer walking distance to lobby and parking lot.
California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

Overall, the hotel is decent with average sized rooms, fairly good location, and a reasonable price. However, our experience during our 5 night stay had a lot of horrible things go wrong that I felt the management did not handle well. When we first checked in and got to the room, it was somehow locked/dead bolted from the inside so we had to wait an hour to get into the room. After going out to dinner and coming back late that first night, we discovered in the middle of the night that the AC was broken, the chain on the toilet was broken so it couldn't be flushed, and the bathroom drain was broken. It was a miserable first night. When we called and complained, they said they would fix those things. Well later that day, the AC was still broken so after calling them several times, we eventually asked to be moved to another room, which was not ready for us until many hours later. Management did not seem to be apologetic or helpful during these times. In the following days in the new room, the toilet became clogged several times and the telephones did not work for a day. Also we would leave for our activities around 8 am and return at 4 pm and the rooms would not be cleaned by housekeeping. They would then knock on our door around 5 pm everyday and we'd have to vacate if we wanted our rooms clean. Overall it was an unpleasant stay with poor customer service. Our friends stayed next door at the Outrigger Waipouli, and although it was slightly more expensive, we'd much rather stay there next time.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review our resort. I am very disappointed to hear about the issues you had during your stay. This is NOT the typical service guests have come to enjoy at our resort. Your room was not maintained properly and the staff's follow up very poor. I have shared your comments with my team and reviewed all issues so we do not have a reoccurrence. Please accept my sincere apologies for not meeting your expectations. The entire team works hard every day to deliver the best service and Aloha but clearly we let you down. I assure you we can do better and only hope you afford us another opportunity to show you how we can do it right. Aloha

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Kauai at Coconut Beach? Share your experiences!