“Great Hotel on a Budget” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard by Marriott Kauai at Coconut Beach

You added Courtyard by Marriott Kauai at Coconut Beach to your Saves list
Courtyard by Marriott Kauai at Coconut Beach
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   650 Aleka Loop, Kapaa, Kauai, HI 96746 (Formerly Aston Kauai Beach at Makaiwa)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Kapaa
Langhorne, Pennsylvania
“Great Hotel on a Budget”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

We stayed here for one night on our honeymoon since we were flying in that evening so we decided to go with a lower class hotel as compared to some of the luxury resorts and we were really impressed. This hotel was so nice and the food in the restaurant there was really delicious. The pool was very beautiful at night and the room was spacious and had a really cute patio. We would definately stay here again!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (347)
San Luis Obispo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2011

We just returned from a wonderful stay at this resort. From the minute my hubby and I walked in and received leis to the last farewell, we had an amazing time. Lissa was so helpful at the front desk, helping my husband purchase flowers for our room for my birthday....and she made sure that we had the nicest room with a killer view. The beds are extremely comfortable and the rooms quiet....I slept very well the whole week. The pool and grounds are lovely, with great landscaping and the resort is right on the beach. The trade winds gave a little breeze, keeping it cool enough. The hotel serves a variety of people, which is nice....no loud teens partying, not too many families with babies...a great mix. Donna, Ernesta, Gloria and the rest of the restaurant staff were so helpful and the menu by Chef Camarillo is delicious. I loved their breakfasts and couldn't wait to eat the tasty and healthy vittles. The bar is very nice, always playing acoustic music and the drinks were yummy. Never loud, closing early enough that no one gets drunks and obnoxious. The staff at the front helped with car rental and other sight seeing ventures. We plan on going back to Kauai every year, next year taking our son, and will stay here each time. They treated you like family and were so welcoming. We loved it.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2011

Where do I begin on this one? I guess I'll start and say this may be the best COURTYARD Marriott I've been to. You kind of forget that's what it even is. The rooms have the standard Courtyard feel but other than that you wouldn't even know that's what it was. Some are good and some are bad. This is one I would go back to.
Pros: It is right on the beach. You can walk out the door and be right on the beach once you drop your bags from a long journey. Even if you don't want to swim in the ocean, it's just a nice way to be welcomed to Hawaii. Because I was there for work, I didn't have time to really enjoy a lot of what was in front of me whether it be at the hotel or not. The service was great. Everyone was friendly and helpful. One other thing that I was surprised about was the food. It wasn't half bad. I know they have an actual kitchen unlike other Courtyards that serve food where they microwave or place in some contraption that makes you think there is a working kitchen. This one actually had daily specials. The only thing was that I wish they had room service. I don't know why they don't but I think they should being that there is a lot of competition for beachfront hotels....And this brings me to the cons. They are few and one is understandable.
Cons: The hallway carpet is really dated looking as are the room doors. Not a big deal but just didn't feel as clean as it could. Second, getting back to the food, it takes a long time for someone to wait on you AND for you to get your food. I know cooking takes time but for some reason, they are extremely slow in this category as they are with the service. And of course they could have room service but now that I think about it that might take away from the diners in the restaurant.
Pretty much I say try it out and stay here. It's a good value and since most of your time should be exploring the island, this is a good place to but your feet up after a long day.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Ashbourne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

I didn't choose this hotel as it was booked as part of a tour but I thought it was a great hotel. The seafront location was great, really enjoyed sitting on a lounger looking out to sea and strolling along the beach. The room was large and comfortable although the A/C was noisy. It's a short walk in either direction for shops/restaurants

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

Room was nice and spacious but unfortunately my view was across a large area of roof could JUST see tops of coconut palms. Some of the towels in rom were like sandpaper and need replacing.Pool towels are tiny and not absorbent,need 2for an average sized person.I found all staff very helpful. Air-conditioning very noisy but effective.

Room Tip: Room very a lot with view.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011 via mobile

Horrible food and even worse service! Staff is rude and impatient.

• Stayed August 2011
middleofnowhere
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

I found this tropical paradise through my AAA Travel agent. She was able to get me a car rental/hotel package at a great price through an airline package deal even though we had booked air tickets with another airline.

This was a solo trip to visit a friend and her family who live in Lihue

To address the negative reviews first:

*Yes there is a parking fee. If you've traveled to other areas you will find fees even higher. I liken it to the airlines charging baggage fees - we all hate it, but it's part of the price of traveling unless you really enjoy the inconvienence of shoving your overstuffed bag in the overhead compartment or parking on the street.

**The room I was in had not yet been renovated, but I did not encounter any musty smells. Like another post said - if you get a room you're not happy with ask for another room. As far as the renovations are concerned. I did hear a tiny bit of construction noise, but it was barely noticable. It was in the middle of the day when most are out enjoying a beautiful day on Kauai.

***The beach is not "Swimmable", but there is a nice beach to walk and relax on. You can go in to get your feet wet.

Now to the positive side:

*Parking was easy and close. The entrance of the hotel is off a separate road serving other hotels/condos and the Coconut Market Place. It's easy to get on and off the main (and usually busy) road.

** It's well worth getting the "Ocean View" room. The view from many rooms is phenominal. I absolutely loved going to sleep to the sound of the waves and waking up and being able to see the ocean. I can only imagine what a spectacular view one would have from the ocean front rooms - maybe next time. The balcony was small, but I enjoyed my morning coffee out there every day.

***The location is great for active travelers. The Courtyard Marriot is centrally located. Only 10-15 minutes from the airport. It's easy to get to the "end of the road" on either side of the island, see, do and enjoy the day away and return when you feel like it. We went north to Anini beach and south to Poipu. Both beautiful. There are so many restaurants close by or you can enjoy your meals right at the hotel. There's even a McDonalds (heaven forbid!!) and a grocery store very close by. I enjoyed being able to take leisurely walks without any traffic to deal with. Coconut Market Place is about a 3-4 minute walk.

Staff was great and even called for a scale to weigh my borderline overweight bag before I left for the airport. A few too many gifts for ones left behind - especially my travel agent!

Some of the photos posted under "traveler's photos" are old - before the renovations, so be aware of that and try to look only at the ones recently posted for an accurate portrayal of this property.

This is not a super luxury resort, but you won't pay the super high prices for this either. Great Value!!

Room Tip: I was in 417 and loved it.
Stayed September 2011, traveled solo

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Kauai at Coconut Beach? Share your experiences!