“Nice place” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Honu'ea International Hostel Kauai

You added Honu'ea International Hostel Kauai to your Saves list
Honu'ea International Hostel Kauai
4532 Lehua Street, Kapaa, Kauai, HI 96746 (Formerly Kauai International Hostel)   |
Ranked #8 of 15 Specialty Lodging in Kapaa
“Nice place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

nice, friendly staff. Very helpful and kowledgable about the surrounding area as well. relaxed and low key. parking available. close to a few bars and the "downtown"...I would stay again if i was in the area

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Streefkerk, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

We stayed a few nights in a private room. This was small but allright. At 10 in the evening it had to be quiet. That was nice. There was enough space to park your car. The kitchen was good and well equipped. The garden is spacious.
But we did not like the atmosphere. The hostel is run by a family. They run a business and don't seem to be very interested. You do not feel very welcome.

Beware of your groceries in the fridge. Our newly bought groceries were suddenly missing. The staff moved them to their own staff fridge. They called it a mistake. We call it stealing. We knew from earlier reviews that this happened before.

If we should visit Kauai again we won't go to this hostel.

• Stayed November 2014
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Absolutely loved this hostel, the best I've stayed in. The family of staff are so friendly, helpful, fun and genuine. The rooms are clean and you have everything you need. The only thing I'd say is the chickens/roosters that roam the island can be a bit noisey depending on where you sleep but I only had dreams about them on the first night just get some ear plugs if it bothers you. This was my first time travelling alone and I was a bit nervous when I first arrived but a few minutes after being there I felt right at home and didn't want to ever leave! This cute little hostel brings the best vibes, set up with fruit trees, comfy social setting under the stars, hammock area, and happy travellers did I mention it's pretty much a few steps away from the beach??

Kauai is truly the most beautiful island, I loved spending everyday exploring stunning waterfalls, beaches, coastlines, canyons, sharing stories and laughs with all the increible travellers and locals I met along the way and eating all the delicious tropical fruits. This is my paradise :)

• Stayed September 2014
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This is a small hostel with a very cosy setting, in a garden with fruit trees and hammocks and there is comfy sofas and shaded spots to eat and chill. The beds were comfy and clean though having just one bathroom between quite a few people was an inconvenience on occasion :p Slow paced and easy going feeling but that's just kauai ^.^ I made some incredible memories here..

Room Tip: Listen when they say no food in your room or you will end up with ants in your bag which isn't t...
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I ended up there for 4 nights , largely due to lack of planning on my part, they had space at the moment and location was central and price OK. The good-bedding is washed and smells clean (if stained) and the place is generally clean. They have WiFi that works in shared area and sometimes in the dorms. The guests were all a nice bunch of people during my stay. The bad- staff was totally unprofessional, often having no idea about the very basics of space availability and generally clueless and not caring or even pleasant(one girl there for work experience was quite nice, to be fair, but she's not permanent). If i wanted a lock for the locker, thats 20 dollars extra. Paint falling off the shower ceiling-petty to mention but reflective of the place overall.
Bottom line, it worked for my needs but if i had to do it again, i'd plan better and go elsewhere. 3 out of 5 because it's just passing grade.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled solo
Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2014

Stayed in a private room for six nights. Nothing special but everything was clean, not noisy, and it was cheap! Within walking distance of restaurants and the ocean. I would recommend for anyone who is coming to Hawaii and not going to spend much time in the room.

Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2014

I had a great stay at this hostel. I was traveling alone for the first time and very nervous, but when I got to the hostel the staff were so friendly and inviting. They tell you right off the bat everything you need to know about the hostel and the rules were very clear (A different hostel I stayed at just said, "Here's your sheets and your dorm is number 10")

With a common kitchen and eating area outside, this hostel was very social and great for meeting other travelers. At night they light tiki torch jars (I'm not sure what they're called exactly) but they were nice to have when it gets dark and people are still hanging out.

The hostel is in a great location. There are many shops right across the street for gift shopping, as well as a laundromat and grocery store just a short walk away. There is a beach right across the street as well as a beauuuutiful bike/pedestrian path.

Overall I really enjoyed my stay here and would highly recommend it for adventurous backpackers!

• Stayed September 2014, traveled solo

Been to Honu'ea International Hostel Kauai? Share your experiences!