“This is not what we booked and paid for!!” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Summer Sale - from $135
Ranked #4 of 12 hotels in Kapaa
Lihue, Hawaii
“This is not what we booked and paid for!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Literally just checked in to find our ocean front room looks at the building next door. We complained, and were told the ocean front buildings are currently closed. We also requested a top floor room and are on garden level. The staff thus far has been completely unwilling to work with us, and instead acts annoyed that we are upset. On a positive note, I'm able to write this using the free wireless Internet.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
itsumi, General Manager at Aston Islander on the Beach, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Aloha and Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor.

I can understand your frustrations in not having an ocean front unit on the thrid floor. We do have ocean view units on the first, seond and third floors also. I would have tried to make some changes to at least accommodate you on the 2nd floor.

Please give us another opportunity to pleasantly exceed your expectation by either sending me an email or calling me directly.

Wishing you a Happy Thanksgiving,

Sandi Kato-Klutke
440 Aleka Place
Kapaa, HI 96746

Tel: 808 823-7600
sandi.kato-klutke@astonhotels.com

1,170 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
Vassar Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Aston Islander on the Beach for 4 days. I found that the far north complex of the hotel was totally being rebuilt and refurbished. Our room was facing the Garden view but I actually found that relaxing with the Plumera trees in bloom and the nice table and chairs to enjoy the morning coffee! If you like peacefulness this it it! Quiet and the hotel staff was more than accomodating! I enjoyed "Jason" the Sand Bar gentleman who served us our drinks! He is very knowledgeable about the area, the sports we watch and a great conversationalist in the evening when you want a few night caps before the pool bar closes. I was really impressed that they allow personal massage therapist to set up behind the hotel on their beach to accomodate guests! Wow. To have a massage on the beach in total near privacy was nice to offer! The Coconut Mall was near by and they had a local bar that shared the parking lot however we never had an issue finding parking spots. Our restaurant was buying food and using the microwave and ammenties of flatware that they offered, just as if I were at home. There are nearby restaurants, The Egg Restaurant was in short walking distance! They offered internet service, free newspaper, free flight boarding pass printouts. The hotel was just as I expected, yet they surprised me with an actual size of shampoo and creme rinse for a woman's long hair! Nice size bar of soap and enough towels etc. They offer a private place to do your laundry. The grounds are beautiful for any couple who loves nature and the study of botany. Since we are those kind of people I was very impressed with the variety of flowers and trees on site. One could walk around anytime of the day or night with ease I would absolutely stay at the Aston Islander on the Beach again!

Room Tip: We actually booked through a travel agent with a Garden view room, however I could see a tad bit of...
Tacoma, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

This hotel should have a higher "star rating." It is right on the beach, driving distance (like 2 min) from the town, offers free DVD rentals, has a pool, right next to a bar that offers music every night, and the staff were very helpful. I've heard people complain about the towel allowance on here... which is silly... because you can ask for a new pool towel every day, it's not a big deal. The front desk people were very nice about it. The actual rooms were nothing great... but hey, this hotel is HALF the cost of other hotels! I know the actual room isn't very important to me, it's the hotel's surroundings. The rooms do have a mini-fridge, sink, microwave, and even dishes. I went with my boyfriend, so it was a little disappointing that we had two Full beds instead of one Queen/King. But, I know you can pay extra for that option. Overall, very impressed with my stay.

Southwest
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

We stayed at a privately owned unit at the Aston Islander and booked through a local property management company. Although the location is excellent - right on the beach with a perfect beachfront view - the condition of the unit left much to be desired. The sheets were threadbare, the towels stained, the kitchenette area and fridge were dirty and the toilet leaked and had to be fixed during our vacation. In contrast to this visit, we had stayed at the property a couple of years ago, but stayed in a unit that was maintained by the hotel. That unit was well kept, clean and had daily maid service.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
itsumi, General Manager at Aston Islander on the Beach, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Aloha and thank you ever so much for taking the time to share your comments on your recent stay at Islander on the Beach.

We have a number of units that are rented out by the individual owners and also majority of the units managed by Aston Hotels & Resorts. Both are fine units on the property with the wonderful ambiance of the open court yard, close to the ocean and a short walk to the Market Place home of the famous Eggberts with wonderful banana pancakes.

The Aston Islander on the Beach units do have daily maid service and is managed by Aston Hotels and Resorts. The other private units have either their own housekeeping services or contract with a vacation rental company come with limited services but I do believe if you request and pay for the services, can get daily housekeeping as well.

Please don't hesitate to contact me should you have other questions.

With warmest aloha,

Sandi Kato-Klutke
440 Aleka Place
Kapaa, HI 96746

Tel: 808 823-7600
sandi.kato-klutke@astonhotels.com
Pasadena, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

This is a clean, comfortable hotel with a great shower flow. Loved sleeping with the balcony door open, the tropical breeze flowing into the room and the sound of the ocean. Very relaxing. This hotel does not have a restaurant so you're on your own for meals. Since I was up and on the road before 5:30am to photograph the sunrise I stopped at the Kountry Kitchen for breakfast.
Parking is a huge issue at this hotel. They have 198 rooms and only 80-85 parking slots, some of which are reserved for non-guests which means less than 80 parking slots. They do send you off to nearby properties for over flow parking. It's located about 8-10 miles north of the airport in Lihue. There is no fitness center so ignore my rating below. They did have little Tiki-bar by the pool.

Detroit
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

The Aston Islander was a really nice condo/hotel. The room was clean, the pool was nice, the beach was great, sunrise there was lovely, it was nice to have a laundramat on site, and it was really close to TONS of amenities. Kapaa was a great location for our week in Kauai. There were tons of great restaurants nearby, lots of things to do on the eastside, easy access to the north and the south.

Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

We stayed in Islander on the Beach Condo 158. This condo was everything we hoped it would be. My husband and I stayed here on our first trip to Kauai, and we could not have picked a better place to stay. The location is easily reached from the airport and equidistant from both west and north side attractions. Check-in was easy and the condo staff were helpful during all our interactions with them. Yes, the condo really is that close to the beach. Walking thirty seconds to the beach to watch the sunrise, then drinking our coffee on the patio = PERFECT. The room was well-stocked and comfortable, which we distinctly appreciated on our first day in, since our luggage arrived late. We saved money by eating some of our meals at home thanks to the well-supplied kitchen. The beach gear provided was a very nice touch too! The only things that might be considered downsides were not issues for us, but might be for other people. The room was perfect for the two of us but might be crowded with more folks, despite the sofa bed. The pool, hot tub and bar were low-key and spacious, but might be underwhelming for people who want the feel of a busy luxe resort chock full of tourists. We felt these were advantages, but to each his own.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Aston Islander on the Beach? Share your experiences!