“Like staying with family” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Coral Reef
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4-1516 Kuhio Highway, Kapaa, Kauai, HI 96746   |
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Kapaa
Phoenix, Arizona
“Like staying with family”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

The Hotel Coral Reef was an amazing experience. You can't beat the price and I love that I was giving back to the local economy by staying at a locally owned facility instead of a big chain. This is a great bang for your buck and I have already suggested it to several people.

Rooms:
Newly renovated, and as far as I can tell all were ocean front. Our room had a mini-fridge, microwave, and coffee pot. One of our sinks wasn't operational, but we used it to store all of our beauty products.

Facility:
The hotel was great, located right off a walking/running path its the perfect place for a morning stroll. They also have adirondack chairs situated around the property if you want to relax and watch the waves roll in. The hotel is located a few hundred feet away from the beach, which was great. The exterior of the hotel was well maintained.

We couldn't have asked for more. The hotel had beach chairs, coolers and towels available to check out, and bikes for rent. The hotel offers a complimentary continental breakfast every morning and they mix up the menu so you're not eating the same thing every day. When we were there they had oatmeal, toast, fruit salad, cereal, and yogurt. There is a small restaurant located at the front of the property, it sells salads, fruit smoothies, and shave ice. We ate there several times during our stay. It is not associated with the hotel. There is no charge for parking, and there is plenty to go around. The hotel also has a pool, not that you need it but it is nice if you are traveling with kids. It was well maintained and if I think there may have even been a BBQ grill there.

Service:
The owners were on site every day and always there to answer questions about the best seafood restaurant, fruit stand and farmers markets. Everyone on the staff was friendly, outgoing and always ready to help. By the end of our stay we felt like we were family, we even hugged the owners when we left! We did have a small issue with the maid service, but it was more of a minor inconvenience. We didn't want/need the room cleaned every day but we did have to ask for towels a few times because they took the dirty ones and didn't leave any clean ones. But the staff was very helpful and quick to respond when we asked.

Overall I LOVED this hotel and I would stay there again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
California City, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

We stayed here for only two days and the first night was just indulging. The Jacuzzi tub was just what I needed after traveling in the beautiful trails of Kauai. The queen size bed was plush and slept like a baby. The next morning we woke up to fresh island fruit and juice served at the front desk and took off with bikes provided by the hotel on an 8 mile bike trail that was breathtaking. Later enjoyed the private beach in front of this hotel and swam into an open sandy blue hole. Beautiful snorkeling over the coral reef. In the evening we bar-b-qued next to the pool with a gorgeous man made waterfall. I personally love this place for it's quality and convenience of getting around by walking or riding a bike.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Arriving after dark and somewhat jet-lagged, I had some trouble finding this hotel. I called and was told how to find it and that it had red lights along the roof. And it did. Someone's dinner was on the desk when I was checking in. In the dark and being tired, I was concerned. It was an older hotel that had been renovated. I did find that the room was updated with detail and looked clean and it looked like the pictures. There was a mini fridge. However, I was travelling alone and felt a little unsafe. The door had a sliding bolt that showed whether the room was occupied on the outside, kind of like the rest room on an airplane. I opened the glass back door and it was dark; I couldn't see or hear the ocean. Although I had booked two nights I went to bed planning to find another room for the next night. I was sure someone had rigged Trip Advisor.
However, when I woke up it got much better. Going out the back door, I had a really beautiful unobstructed view of sunrise over the ocean. There was a path where people were running and walking. Chickens and roosters were clucking and crowing. It was pretty darn cool. It made me quite relieved and happy. This couple of hours earned it another star. I stayed the second night.
Breakfast is served in the office and there weren't a lot of tables to eat breakfast, so I grabbed some Keuring coffee, cheese and a yogurt and it was enough. The shower was clean and strong and tiled pretty.
Kapaa is a good, safe location, central for driving to either Waimea Canyon or Hanlei Bay. I did both. It is also less than 15 mins from LIH. I didn't spend a lot of time in historic Kapaa but there were some natural foods and organic places that looked interesting.
I made reservations using their web site. It doesn't give you a confirmation and you have to call to change it. I did change it over the phone a couple of times. Still didn't get an email but they did get it right. This could be improved.
I stayed the third night in a more expensive resort suite in Poipu. It was "ocean view", if you had binoculars. In several ways I preferred the less expensive ocean front room at Kapaa.

Room Tip: Definitely get an ocean front. Floor level looks directly on the ocean.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Beverly Hills, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

Nice location , bad staff and experience , first breakfast they serve is a joke, $1 bakery stuff from your favorite gas station , 2nd they don't clean the rooms during ur stay , I watched room service lady for 5 days just take garbage out and out new towels , she didn't clean the bed , vacuum the floor (it's beach hotel and u get sand in room ) worst she's doesn't clean shower not bathroom , also the beach is rocky

On the positive side , hotel is in nice central area, not that busy , but I felt roped

• Stayed February 2013
Tumwater, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

We stayed at the Coral Reef for 12 days and couldn't have been happier. First, it is in a great location centrally located on the island. We had an "ocean front" room and it was fabulous, The room was nicely decorated and had an unobstructed view of the ocean. Rooms were very clean. We really feel like we found a little gem. Prices were amazingly reasonable. Very friendly staff. The room looks exactly like the pictures on the web site.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Issaquah, Washington, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Quiet, Clean & Very Comfortable!!! Kauai's beauty is breathtaking! After returning from hiking the Pali Coast for four hours in the rain and mud I enthusiastically anticipated checking into my new hotel room for a jacuzzi bathtub treat! Oh what a treat it was! I felt like I was in heaven - my room was so clean, cozy and beautifully decorated! Adjustable lighting throughout, Tommy Bahamas soap and bath products, a plasma television, and then to top it off the bed was sooo comfortable! Absolutely heaven! My patio slider opened to the lawn in front of the beach too! The property also has a pool with a waterfall and a laundry area. Yes this is heaven!!! Staying on the east side of Kauai is a great for waking to the gorgeous sunrise each morning at 7 am. I've always thought of myself as a non-morning person, but the sunrise is so magnificent I looked forward to it and didn't want to miss it! Another nice thing is the location is great for navigating to the rest of the island including the west, south and north shores. Each morning they had a continental breakfast in the hotel lobby.The management was so friendly and helpful - they felt like family. I am very excited to return!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Ocean Shores, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

Hotel is quaint and attractive. There is a paved trail in front of the hotel that goes to the next town and makes for a beautiful walk or bike ride. The staff was wonderful and it felt more like family than employees. Great food and shopping are both near by. It was so relaxing which is just what we needed. I wish the pool was warmer.. It was actually warmer to swim in the ocean...lol
Overall a great stay!

Room Tip: Choose the ocean view rooms.. The others dont have much of a "garden view"
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Coral Reef? Share your experiences!