“solid sushi” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dallas, Texas, United States
“solid sushi”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2014

This was our second favorite sushi place on the island. It was definitely the most reasonably priced. We went there once a week during our month in Kapa'a and even made the trip a few times when we stayed on the North Shore after that. Our favorite roll was the Bali Hai Bomb roll... couldn't get enough of that one. Everything was very fresh, and the drinks were good too. Sometimes there is a long wait, so I would recommend making reservations or getting there right when they open at 5:30. The service was always good once we were seated, whether it was at the bar or in the main dining area. The aquarium was really a nice touch, and the atmosphere was great. The only reason I didn't give 5 stars was because there was a lady at the front desk that was downright rude every single time we were there. Some of the servers did have an attitude- clearly giving preferential treatment to locals. I understand that, but I also think it's important to make customers feel welcome. Locals and visitors use the same currency, and customers tend to spend more money at establishments where they receive good service overall.

Visited February 2014

Bergamo
“Great fish!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

amazing place, if you look it from outside probablly you do not enter, but belive me it's incredible!

great sushi and fresh fish!

Visited August 2014
Calgary, Canada
“Not Sure How Kintaro Deserves Above 1”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

I have travelled to a number of destinations across North America and abroad and to be perfectly honest Kintaro was perhaps one of the greatest disappointments. We visited based on a local's recommendation but would never suggest anyone else return. After waiting for 45 minutes patiently - I have waited longer for restaurants we love - Kintaro was a calamity.

The starters were absolutely atrocious with poorly battered, flaccid tempura (tempura should be crisp and not bend in half when you lift it), a disturbingly vinegary wakame salad with the wrong seaweed, and dressing-drenched ice-berg lettuce as an amuse bouche.

The entrees were maybe executed even worse. I had the "local" Ahi and Hamachi and they were both small (1" by 1" squares) and not firm so obviously not fresh or poorly stored. The roll I had was with soggy nori, uni that was mushy and over-ripe avocado - I ate 1 piece and sent it back. My wife had their local version of soup and the broth was not fresh and the taste lingered for hours. My kids (both of them foodies at 18 and 15) had tempura dinners that they both left over half of due to the poor taste and execution. The only saving grace was that our waitress didn't charge us for the roll.

In all honesty, this wouldn't rival the supermarket California rolls you can get at Safeway. Don't know where the good reviews come from but we will be avoiding this place.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Phoenix, Arizona
“Good sushi”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

Easy location if you are staying on the east side. Sushi was pretty good. Prices were okay. This restaurant was recommended by a local.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Disappointing! Poor Service (Not for those with gluten allergies)!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

My wife and I are visiting Kauai for the 4th time. We have had the most wonderful experiences here over the past several years and this is the first time I have had to write a negative review. We were looking for a nice place to have dinner last night and the front desk agent at our hotel recommended Kintaro. We checked the reviews and it seemed to be a very nice place. When we arrived we were given a choice of sitting at the sushi bar or waiting 20 minutes for a table - we chose the bar. There was only one sushi chef working and he waited on us fairly quickly. We placed our order and requested Tamari sauce since soy has wheat gluten in it. Having eaten at sushi restaurants all over the world, we have never had to worry about this since Tamari is so common. Even though Kintaro is listed as one of the top gluten-allergy friendly restaurants in Kauai by a leading national newspaper web site, the sushi chef snarled at us and said "we don't have that here." He was rude, not the least bit sensitive, and offered us nothing of help. Having already placed our order, we did not feel right walking out (which we should have done), but visiting tourists who have wheat sensitivities need to know that Kintaro's may be a great local restaurant, but it IS NOT a friendly place for anyone with wheat sensitivities.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere